View Diary: ***Update: Statement of Opposition to Racist Labels Used by Kossacks to Criticize President Obama (2524 comments)

•  I could not recommend (75+ / 0-)

The diarist should set the tone for the comments - even if they can't police their diaries.

Unacceptable the level of hatred addressed to this man.

In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God ~RFK

by vcmvo2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:42:32 PM PDT

•  So, generalizing about every Chained CPI post... (13+ / 0-)

...helps (ironically, especially in the comments in a post of this nature) how, exactly? Or, are you indicating that certain subjects should simply not be addressed within this community? There have easily been 100 posts on this topic in the past couple of weeks, alone. This is a sincere question, because what you're advocating for here is quite "the slippery slope," IMHO.

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:08:25 PM PDT

•  And, my previous comment relates to ANY topic... (6+ / 0-)

...it has NOTHING to do with the Chained CPI issue, frankly.

by bobswern on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:10:40 PM PDT

•  What is s/he advocating? (19+ / 0-)

What is the potential slippery slope and where does it lead? I take from the comment that often discussion in threads gets pretty nasty, and a diarist has a certain amount of responsiblity as host to request civility from the guests.

"No one life is more important than another. No one voice is more valid than another. Each life is a treasure. Each voice deserves to be heard." Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse & Onomastic

by Catte Nappe on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:11:49 PM PDT

•  I'm talking about making a generalization... (12+ / 0-)

...about discussion of a MAJOR political topic, as far as discussion in this community is concerned (in general). It could be ANY topic. The comment (and the generalization) refers to discussion within ANY post about a specific topic. And, it received 34 rec's (and counting). There were, easily, 100 posts on this subject here in the past couple of weeks, alone. (And, some of them were quite civil, as far as the comments were concerned.)

by bobswern on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:16:20 PM PDT

•  I see your point (17+ / 0-)

The statement of being unable to rec those diaries on chained CPI suggests an overly broad brush that every single one of them devolved into incivility or vile commentary. Certainly some may not have. It happened in enough of them though that I started avoiding reading them at all, so I still agree with the commenters original point about the importance of tone.

by Catte Nappe on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:28:00 PM PDT

•  Well, I read the comment as a focus on TOPIC... (10+ / 0-)

...in fact, more than anything else; a basic, negative generalization about the TOPIC was made, as it related to ALL posts about it at Daily Kos.

I would be hard-pressed to find any fault with any legitimate criticism of tone within ANY post relating to ANY topic. (So, of course, I agree with you in that regard.)

What I do have is a great concern about suppression of discussion--and that does start with making generalizations, like the one to which I responded in this thread in the first place, no matter what the subject/issue--on any legitimate political topic within this community. (And, if people want to argue about the LEGITIMACY of a topic, which MANY did in this instance about Chained CPI, that's another matter, altogether. But, then again, there's really no question about the LEGITIMACY of it being a hot political topic du jour, despite many folks trying to put forth the meme otherwise. But, THAT would be digressing.)

It's a slippery slope when folks make generalizations about discussion of any topic, period, IMHO. And, that is how this thread started.

by bobswern on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:48:16 PM PDT

•  Bob... (23+ / 0-)

... at the risk of repeating what others have said, nobody's advocating an end to the chained CPI discussion. The only things forbidden here are copyright violations and conspiracy theories.

The question is whether the tone of (some) of these diaries and the resultant comment threads is always appropriate to this site.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:59:07 PM PDT

•  A big gray area between civility and McCarthyism. (28+ / 0-)

When people are uncivil, or even racist, they should be called out by the community. But strong criticism of Barack Obama's policies is NOT by definition racist of uncivil, I'm sure the signatories above would agree -- unless the above specific type of language is employed. He's a politician, and not untouchable.

But some of the commentary in the comments here starts to come dangerously close to casting a chill on legitimate policy debate. I worry about over-generalization, but will wait to see what the reaction is.

So here's to vigorous but non-racist debate. Racist language should always be HR'd. Honest political debate should not.

"Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

by Kombema on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:59:36 PM PDT

•  I condemn any racist remarks against the President (9+ / 0-)

or anyone else. So you can absolutely add my name to the list. On the other hand, I also sense some suppression of discussion going on here, and it bothers me a great deal. You noticed how they brought up chained CPI. When I first saw this post I felt like it was connected to the anger directed at the President in the diaries on chained CPI. That anger is completely justified. It just feels like this is an attempt to get people to not express that anger, and that is wrong. There is a certain isolated mindset here.

"This is a debate that we are entitled to have in our own community free from the opinions of those outside our community who lack the understanding of the historical context inherent in such discussions."

I also think we need to differentiate between vicious remarks and racist remarks. If someone says that the President is an idiot who doesn't know how to negotiate, that is a vicious comment, but it is hard to say, based on that alone, that it is a racist comment. I have seen loads of comments calling the President an idiot or a traitor to the working classes, but I can honestly say I have not seen a single remark referring to the President as a boy, questioning his "Blackness", or anything racist really. I am sure, based on the amount of people frequenting this blog and the prevalance or racism among certain white people, but if I had never read Kos and read this letter I would come away with the impression that racist comments are all over the place. Please, point them out. Call out the racists, so those of us who haven't encountered them yet can avoid them in the future.

•  Ummm...not sure what you mean by this? (13+ / 0-)
                  I brought up the Chained CPI reference and I am in no way, shape or form associated with writing this statement. It came as an absolute surprise; a very welcoming surprise, because I have been fuming at the blatant racism in full-throated denigration of the president in terms that are clearly racist, except to those who refuse to recognize the racism prevalent everywhere in this country.

It's *Gandhi*, not Ghandi

by poco on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:56:05 PM PDT

•  I should have taken the time to look at your name (3+ / 0-)
                    BrianParker14, congenitalefty, caul

and say poco said it, but I don't think it necessarily detracts from my point, which is that I think this letter is strongly linked to the recent outrage over chained CPI, and not necessarily ONLY the racist comments, which I haven't personally seen, but the anger at the President in general. I hope you are not implying that I don't recognize the racism prevalent everywhere in this country because I do. However, trying to argue that it is prevalent on Kos is a different story, and one that I don't buy. Just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they haven't occurred of course, which is why I asked for some examples of a few of the comments so that I can see what was said.

•  "If someone says that the President is an idiot... (22+ / 0-)

... who doesn't know how to negotiate, that is a vicious comment, but it is hard to say, based on that alone, that it is a racist comment."

And none of the original signers of the diary are saying that the language you describe does constitute racism. There was specificity in the diary. Such comments as described do occur, and they taint the atmosphere here, make African Americans and other people of color uncomfortable just being here (not to mention furious) and even more so when it is denied that such comments even occur, or that it's "trendy" to ascribe racism to criticism of the president.

None of us is saying there should be no criticism, including sharp criticism, of President Obama's policies. If the diary said that, I wouldn't have signed it. But, in fact, the diary makes it clear that criticism is not what's at issue.

by Meteor Blades on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:39:47 PM PDT

•  Ok. Well then I put my reservations aside. As I (0+ / 0-)

said before, I condemn any racist comments and I find it disgusting that they occur here, which should be a place for tolerant and diverse people and a refuge from that kind of language and hatred. I also said that while I haven't personally seen comments referring to the President as"boy" or questioning his"Blackness", I do not doubt that they occur. However, having been a reader of Kos for years, the truth is I CAN honestly say I've never seen such comments, so the fact that this is going on came as a surprise to me. If you could possibly link to some of the egregious comments, I could be more informed about who is making them and who to avoid. I did, however, find the comment about certain discussions being closed off to non-African-Americans very offensive and harmful and it certainly played a role in my initial reaction to the letter. No conversations should be closed off to anyone, if anything dialogue is paramount. And I stand by my assertion that such a comment seems odd contrasted to the invitations to come check out Black Kos front porch. Have a good night.

•  Suppression by *Whom*? (10+ / 0-)

When we were authoring today's joint statement we were crystal clear that it addressed only those issues about which there was unanimous agreement.  The statement is narrow, and clear.  It also made clear that we have no power to do more than what we already do as individuals since this is Markos' house and Markos' rules, and so thats what we would continue to do.  It was basically, putting the community on notice that we were tired of certain behaviors and explaining why, so that nobody ever had an excuse going forward to contend they did not know the deal.

I'm honestly at a loss to see how anyone can read into that stated intent and the narrowness of the specific behavior we called out that we are trying to "suppress" any voices critical of the President.

Anyone who knows my track record knows that i would never sign up for such a thing.  Because I have been critical of a number of President Obama's policies and will continue to be of those which, like Chained CPI, are catastrophic IMO.

I will also continue to HR things that I find beyond the pale racially, including the specific things discussed in or collective statement, as I have been for some time now.  But this statement does not demand that others do the same; indeed, it's crystal clear that each of us has our own individual approach.

I have to admit this whole "help help we're being suppressed' argument smacks to me of a fear that is uniquely born of privilege -- i.e. whites not liking being told by nonwhites that some things are off limits to them.  Those of us who played a primary drafting role in the collective statement went out of our way to emphasize the narrowness of what we were talking about; yet over and over again folks are reacting as if they are being threatened across the board when it comes to talking negatively about the President's policies.  Since nothing in the statement itself rationally leads to such a conclusion, that's IMO the most logical explanation.  I am, however, happy to be shown I'm wrong in my hunch, if I am.

•  What I meant is what I said (9+ / 0-)

I didn't say I hadn't read any good diaries on chained CPI. Laurence Lewis or Joan McCarter, springs immediately to mind. I'm a rescuer so I read every diary and frequently the comments.

No, most of the comments as the week wore on were ugly.
                That's my opinion.

Discussion of anything policy wise is fine here but how we comment on what someone wrote is pretty much a grab bag.
                You're reading some weird stuff into what I wrote. Within the context of this diary from the people of black kos who I read every week, yes I have seen far too much of these kinds of comments directed at President Obama. Some were hr'ed, most were not.

The diaries did not contain that language but since commenting is a big part of dkos that's what I'm discussing. It needs to be dealt with in a way that clearly explains what is offensive and why. A list of 3 things. I don't think it's too much to ask.

by vcmvo2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:12:34 PM PDT

•  I'd like to apologize to you bob! (7+ / 0-)

I obviously wrote my comment in such a fashion that you believe that I was either saying that you were a racist or that you tolerated racist comments in your diaries.

I certainly don't believe that you are or that you do. I was probably using language too broadly when I meant the comments in some diaries meant that I couldn't recommend the diary. Last week a great deal of the diaries were about chained CPI, so that is what I referenced.

But in any given week when there is not a blogathon going on you can read comments which contain the 3 objectionable types of statements that this black kos diary is asking people in general to stop using in reference to this President.

I was not talking about you or the topic of chained CPI.

But I can see how it was interpreted that way. I do not want to deflect the importance of this diary by seeming to insult you or the topic of CPI. I apologize. I am not attempting to censor topics or criticism of this President by what I said in my comment.

by vcmvo2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:24:25 PM PDT

•  Not quite what was said (14+ / 0-)
              I noticed some inappropriate hyperbole in the diaries I read, lost in a more generalised anger. That didn't mean the whole comment thread descended into vileness, just that - in the flurry - the crossing over from political dissent to more worrying personal language was harder to spot and negate

The Fall of the House of Murdoch -with Eric Lewis and all the latest Leveson evidence out now!

by Brit on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:03:23 PM PDT

•  Actually...there was generalization, period. (6+ / 0-)

And, it was about a TOPIC. The full statement was...

I could not recommend those diaries on chained CPI because inevitably the comments contained vile statements about the President.
                It wasn't "SOME of those diaries," it more than implied a generalization about an entire topic.

And...

It wasn't "those diaries THAT contained vile statements about the president."

It was about the entire topic. Period.

by bobswern on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:10:54 PM PDT

•  he said nothing about the general comments (14+ / 0-)

but rather the tone of some of the arguments made recommending the diaries distasteful.  By rec'ing a diary, one is suggesting people go there, and if opening it, opens a can of worms, I can see why some might not wish people to go there.

BTW, I'll add my name to the list, suggesting we're above that.

•  Mine talked about expanding social security (13+ / 0-)

not cutting it, and it got 18 comments. It would be nice if we spent more time talking about the finer points of expanding and creating a viable policy then engaging in pie fights.

President Obama would have been a republican in the 1980's & 1990's. Go figure.

by Tool on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:41:14 PM PDT

•  Vcmvo2's referring to the comments (4+ / 0-)

Not the diaries.  I don't think it's a reasonable interpretation of what he wrote to say that he's arguing that "certain subjects should not be addressed" (whether they be Chained CPI or something equally egregious)  I recommended some of those diaries on their merits. Others reflected a tone that was similar to the types of conduct those of us who wrote this joint statement are complaining about, and thus did not earn a recommendation from me.  As you know I am a long time critic of much of President Obama's approach to many matters having to do with poor people, so there is no meed to worry that suddenly diaries critical of Pres. Obama's policy choices are no-go.

•  as one of the organizers of that recent (18+ / 0-)

blogathon, I'd invite you (or anyone) to review the 39 diaries that were published under our 'thon and report back to me directly in kosmail, with links, if and where you can point to any of them that criticized this proposed policy or the President in a way that was racist or offensive in terms of any measure of bigotry. If it's there, I, or one of the other organizers, will be more than happy to address it with you and within our group.

They're all listed HERE.

If you were disinclined to recommend any, or all, of them for any other reasons, fine, thats certainly your right. But for you to insinuate here that the entire blogathon was tainted with a "vile" ~hinting at racist~ tone is disingenuous to say the least. Yes, in comments especially, people are angry about Chained CPI being offered by a (D) POTUS, and they are going to be emphatic and outspoken in their criticisms. Racist? No, not that I saw anyway.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:35:31 PM PDT

•  Within large amounts of posts about ANY topic... (4+ / 0-)

...inevitably, there will be unacceptable comments in some. And, yes, HOTTER topics, at any given moment--such as chained CPI--attract more of that than others. This isn't exactly new information. Heh. Frankly, site rules and common decency and respect applies, no matter what the topic, IMHO. And, generalizing about discussion of an entire topic really doesn't help...in fact, I would posit that it hurts/inflames the discussion.

by bobswern on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:16:10 PM PDT

•  I did. (6+ / 0-)

I know who organized it. I'm commenting on many comments I read so reccing the diary for me was not possible.

So what? I'm one person. You were well represented on the rec list.

I read several diaries that were fine.

I did respond to Bob but it got lost in all the discussions about something I did not say.

by vcmvo2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:18:32 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I read a great many of them and (3+ / 0-)
        congenitalefty, Be Skeptical, caul

I'm still waiting for an example of racism.  What our President is proposing is awful, but I haven't seen any racial attacks against him. I may be wrong and missed it but I'd like to see an example.

"I freed a thousand slaves, I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves" Harriet Tubman

by BrianParker14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:25:24 PM PDT

•  I agree with (5+ / 0-)
      Rick Aucoin, Joieau, 3goldens, caul, jj24

bobswern on this.  Your making this a slippery slope.  Those of us who are disabled or elderly have great concern about what is going on with being able to sustain ourselves and not fall further into financial problems.  There is going to be anger directed toward those who force these policies, people are afraid.

I've added my name to the list, but if I can't voice my opinion and conerns then what is the purpose of activism.  There are so many people that the President's policies are going to hurt and I can not respect a President that is making policiesthat will create harm to those who can least afford to absorb more difficulties.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:02:24 PM PDT

•  read about what I did write (5+ / 0-)

Not about what bobswern thinks I was saying.

Cause I didn't say that.

by vcmvo2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:19:40 PM PDT

•  Here is what (3+ / 0-)
          3goldens, congenitalefty, caul

you wrote:

I could not recommend
          And please don't think that I have to follow bobswern to have my own opinion.  I agreed with him/her because, to me, the comment implies that we can't criticize the President and his policies.  And that has been the problem here between some people.  Those that trust him and others that are very concerned about his policies.  Honestly, the way I see it, is no matter who some of these policies come from I wouldn't agree with them because most of them have favored the 1%.  Plus any President that has put people on the edge constantly with worry about policies that might hurt them is not practicing good politics whether or not he is trying to make a deal or not.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:45:04 PM PDT

•  Well you can infer something that I didn't write (6+ / 0-)

and be wrong about my intent but yes you can have your own opinions.

But to satisfy your need to interpret my comment that way, I'm not going to argue what I said and get into a side argument that is going way off track from the point of this diary.

I know how black kos editors feel about things because I'm always reading their diaries, so I understand that since you read bobswern alot, that you're concerned that he's being called a racist or told to shut up.

But that's not what I said and it's definitely not what I meant.

I apologize if what I said was so unclear that you misunderstood me. This diary is not about the President's policies, it's about how we criticize those policies and the language that is sometimes used here at dkos.

by vcmvo2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:15:54 PM PDT

•  I understand (1+ / 0-)
              jj24

perfectly, please understand that in my everyday life I'm constantly fighting even stupid comments I hear in person from people that only know how to repeat proganda from places like Fox News.  I just lost my home because of some crazy neo-nazis in my building forced me from my home because I'm Jewish.  Long story, it ended up in court and it wasn't fun.

Why are you trying to blame me for misunderstanding what you typed, and then telling me how I feel because I read Bobswern's diaries?

I think I understood what you meant perfectly.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:36:05 PM PDT

•  No you don't (3+ / 0-)
                Larsstephens, Yasuragi, etherealfire

I was trying to see things from your view point but I guess I didn't succeed.

I'm sorry you had such an awful day. I hope it gets better soon. Appearing in court is always stressful. I'm sorry that you lost your home.

by vcmvo2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:42:18 PM PDT

•  Enough with the mental (1+ / 0-)
                  jj24

gymastics OK.  You didn't see anything from my point of view at all.  I lost my home six months ago and I didn't say anything about having an awful day. . . since court was a while ago.

Enough with this back and forth.  Just let it go because no matter what I say you'll come back with something totally diffferent.  I just simply was saying that some of the policies of this President, the last President, and President Clinton even have been horrible for the people of this country.  There.  Get it?

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:20:54 PM PDT

•  I see Yasuragi (0+ / 0-)

supports you.  I get it.  I don't know what to think anymore.

I'm done with this stupid fighting all the time.
                  Here have all Daily Kos.  Protect the President at all costs, but when the disabled and elderly end up homeless maybe then you'll see where these policies are getting us.  And when all the free trade deals winds us up with no jobs keep thanking him for all he has done.

I'm out of here.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:27:57 PM PDT

•  zaka, you know I love you. I just don't (5+ / 0-)
                    zaka1, vcmvo2, Onomastic, etherealfire, poco

agree: this diary is not about Obama's policies: it's about the tenor of some of the remarks that have been made about him.  I feel terrible for your situation, as I have all through the buildup to the present and miserable outcome.

It's only in regard to your comments about this diary and its stated purpose that  we disagree.

"Throwing a knuckleball for a strike is like throwing a butterfly with hiccups across the street into your neighbor's mailbox." -- Willie Stargell

by Yasuragi on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:02:06 PM PDT

•  I know Yasuragi (2+ / 0-)
                      Yasuragi, soros

you know I can't stand racism and have been fighting against it for all, not just for myself.  I agree with the diary, but these policies that the President is suggesting are going to hurt so many people.  I'm really sorry, I'm love you too.  But, I think I'm really confused.  I guess being an old democrat that believed in social safety nets and helping one other is no longer what the party believes.

I agree with the diary, but I don't want to sign onto anything or be on any list.  I'm done with the whole Democratic thing.  I just can't be a corporatist and support issues or a person that goes totally against my beliefs.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:30:59 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry, I went back through the (2+ / 0-)
                  Onomastic, vcmvo2

thread to find out where I turned down the wrong road and I think I understand where you are coming.  And I apolgize.

The policies such as changed CPI have me really stressed and I honestly don't know how much more I can take.  I've got two elderly parents on social security and myself on society security and a brother who is still in the military but has gone through too many wars starting with the gulf war in the 1990s.  I think the whole family is on some level of pure exhaustion as we head for the final run in this great race we call life.  This is the second time in ten years I've lost my home (and this isn't just about me, many are going through this, the first time was because of medical bills due to a pre-existing condition, and the second time was because of a neighbor who was really kinda of out there.  To me the change CPI could really hurt me and this time I'm not leaving my home again, just can't do it anymore.

So, I'm sorry, I'm if I'm really upset with the President for putting this on the line because it was my one last place for security.  And yes I'm upset with him, I just wish he would talk to the people this will effect and then make up his mind instead of moving forward.

by zaka1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 01:34:03 AM PDT

•  Exactly why I didn't rec those diaries, either. (12+ / 0-)

Reading some of the comments made me think I'd mistakenly hit Ted Nugent's blog or something equally offensive.

"Let's stay together"--Rev. Al Green and President Obama

by collardgreens on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:09:10 PM PDT

•  It's not only the CCPI diaries and comments - (18+ / 0-)

If memory serves this has been going on since 09.  The patience and endurance of Black Kos is a thing to admire and I am proud to stand with them today.  Enough is enough.

Please add me to the list.

•  Do you unreccomend diaries you like if (0+ / 0-)

vile comments turn up in the comments after you recc'ed them?  The way the site rolls, I would imagine that living up to the standard of 'I don't recommend diaries with vile comments underneath' means you don't recommend very many diaries at all...

•  Sometimes i do (2+ / 0-)
        Yasuragi, poco

But actually I recommend a great deal of diaries. I read widely, not just the rec list so there is a lot that doesn't get enough attention.

by vcmvo2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 02:39:45 PM PDT

•  I unrec diaries at times (2+ / 0-)
        Yasuragi, poco

Not very often but in extreme cases - yes.

OTOH i read very widely, not just the rec list and I rec a lot of diaries where comments may not get to the level where comments are extensive and those diarists need encouragement too!

by vcmvo2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 02:43:50 PM PDT