View Diary: Boston bomb victim reportedly gave description of bomber from his hospital bed (113 comments)

•  I heard Jeff Bauman did identify the younger man (2+ / 0-)
    gramofsam1, snazzzybird

and he did look into Jeff's eyes.  Is that not so?

Our greatest responsibility is to be a good ancestor. Jonas Salk

by Catkin on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:43:48 AM PDT

•  That is not so. (2+ / 0-)
      PSzymeczek, MNPundit

Bauman was a witness to the older bomber (the now-deceased "Black Hat").

ad astra per alia porci

by harrije on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:46:58 AM PDT

•  Yes, that much is currently accepted as confirmed. (1+ / 0-)
      Sparhawk

It was the poster's imagining the expression on the suspect's face, and the thoughts in his head -- and then reacting to these imaginings -- that I was questioning with my comment.

Vote rape. Vote torture. Vote War Crimes. Vote with the American top 1%.

by Yellow Canary on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:47:27 AM PDT

•  Thanks, I was confused (wrong). (0+ / 0-)

Our greatest responsibility is to be a good ancestor. Jonas Salk

by Catkin on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:56:16 AM PDT

•  No, you were right. (3+ / 0-)
          gramofsam1, Bugsydarlin, thea lake

I didn't say anything about the bomber's "expression".  I'm not sure why it bothered this poster so much that I surmised what kind of mindset it would take to look into the eyes of an innocent stranger in whose immediate proximity you had just placed a bomb.  To look into the eyes of your innocent victim - to me, that is horrifying.

Fox News is to the truth as a flaming bag of dog shit is to a packed lunch. --MinistryOfTruth

by snazzzybird on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:09:45 AM PDT

•  Because there's been so much BS (1+ / 0-)
            Yellow Canary

....out there. To hear more stuff that isn't factual can be quite frustrating.

•  It never occurred to me that anyone would (0+ / 0-)

read what I posted and think I was reporting facts.  I was assuming that everyone knew that while the two men did look each other in the face, there were no words exchanged, and that my guess about the mindset that could do such a thing must be just that, a guess.  I'm sorry to have caused anyone frustration.

by snazzzybird on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:36:08 PM PDT

•  Because you are inventing an emotion-charged ... (0+ / 0-)

... interaction to fill in what is and will likely remain blank.

I think it vital for all adults to fully understand and act on their understanding of the difference between objective and subjective reality.  We have a few facts -- these facts are devoid of emotion.  You invented -- out of thin air -- an emotional story that fits the facts (and your individual method of processing them).

Stories provide a structure for understanding, and a mnemonic for remembering.  Many problems arise when people substitute stories for facts and ignore the distinction between the two.  It is vital, today, to separate story-telling from truth-telling.  On this day, on this subject, I think we owe each other strict vigilance to not tell stories.

You are horrified.  Your horror does justifies making shit up about what passed between the bomber and the eye-witness, or what thoughts were in the bombers head.

Vote rape. Vote torture. Vote War Crimes. Vote with the American top 1%.

by Yellow Canary on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:16:33 PM PDT

•  I can see where you're coming from (0+ / 0-)

but I still think you're being a little rough on me.  We know from the diary that while the bomber and the survivor looked at each other, no words were exchanged.  To me it seemed pretty obvious that I was not reporting the bomber's thoughts as fact.  If not, then that was an oversight on my part, and I do regret it if I confused anyone.  However, to characterize it as "making shit up" is harsh.

If you're still of the opinion that I deserved this treatment, well then, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Have a nice day.

by snazzzybird on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:49:29 PM PDT