View Diary: Are Chechens Really White? Racial Formation Theory and the Boston Marathon Bombing (207 comments)

•  Do you think racism is race neutral? n/t (0+ / 0-)

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:45:14 PM PDT

•  yeah (2+ / 0-)
      Be Skeptical, heybuddy

shocking, right?  The question of whether one treats all individuals as human beings is race neutral.

Touch all that arises with a spirit of compassion

by Mindful Nature on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:42:29 PM PDT

•  So racism, which was created in it's modern form (0+ / 0-)

by white people as a means of oppression, is somehow magically not racist. How does that work?

by AoT on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:52:31 PM PDT

•  fairly straightforward (1+ / 0-)
          Be Skeptical

questionable premise, questionable conclusion.

Touch all that arises with a spirit of compassion

by Mindful Nature on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:15:02 PM PDT

•  So then i assume you havent (0+ / 0-)

Read up on the history of racism in the us?

A lot of white people are very invested in having racism be equally applicable to be against white people. I'm not sure why so many white people really want the definition of racism to be such that they can be a target of racism. I just don't get it. I mean, you clearly know racism isn't really anything white people have to deal with, even under your definition. And people of color deal with the bigotry version and the institutionalized version constantly. Ignoring race won't end racism because racism is not just explicit. Color blind methods don't solve the problem regardless of how much I'd like them too.

by AoT on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:14:19 PM PDT

•  If whites can't be targets of racism, what are the (0+ / 0-)

flash mobs then? On "beat whitey" night at the Wisconsin state fair, I think the white people on that night may have thought that they were the victims of racism whether they wanted to or not.

Racism is looking at a person differently based on the color of their skin, instead of their character. No group has a monopoly on hate, and if you believe that racism can only go in one direction... brace yourself... you're a racist.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 02:42:34 PM PDT

•  No I'm not a racist for your convoluted reasoning (0+ / 0-)

And no, racism is not just about hate.

But thanks for playing.

by AoT on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 03:05:55 PM PDT

•  I can see you take yourself (0+ / 0-)

pretty seriously. But it's a simple question, really. When a mob of kids from one race assault individuals of another race while hurling racial slurs, are you really going to say that it's not racist if the victims are white?

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 03:21:35 PM PDT

•  I'm going to say it's not a significant (0+ / 0-)

Problem compared to the systematic and broad based oppression of people based on their race. Is it a bad thing that shouldn't have happened? Definitely. Is it bigotry based on race? Certainly. Is it part of a systematic and organized oppression of white people? No.

I would argue that what you describe is a reactionary response to racism in the us. A group of black people striking out against a group of people who are perceived as being directly responsible for their oppression. It's wrong, but since using a definition of racism that is simply "bigotry based on race" means that systemic racism is left out I don't consider that racism in any meaningful sense of the term.

I imagine you'll disagree, many people do, especially white people. But I'd like to hear a definition that incorporated both systemic and immediate racism.

by AoT on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 04:00:15 PM PDT

•  Ok (0+ / 0-)

So what would be the systemic cause of racist flash mobs? Well, I wonder if these kids are regularly subjected to the rhetoric that you are writing here. Somehow, they came to believe that their racial violence was justified. I don't think they were taught in a race neutral way.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 04:29:40 PM PDT

•  i already answered that. (0+ / 0-)

The systemic cause of the flash mobs you're talking about are a violent and reactionary response to the racism that is endemic to our country. Black people know what group is primarily responsible for their oppression. They're not idiots, just oppressed. Otherwisevtjey wouldn't vote >90% Democratic. Attacking people based on their race is never justified. I assume that everyone here starts from that assumption. The people here aren't the flash mobs you seem to be worried about.

by AoT on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 07:46:18 PM PDT

•  this is one of tactics of the white supremacist (1+ / 0-)
                          AoT

right and their liberal racist allies. do not give into their efforts to exhaust you as they are not interested in a legitimate dialogue only playing a white victimology game, distracting, derailing, and side-tracking.

this is one of the main cyberracist tactics in the age of obama.

•  First, (0+ / 0-)

I never suggested anyone here was a flash mobber.

I'm sure you are aware that the african american community is not very supportive of gay marriage. I believe a majority oppose it.

What if mobs of young gay men were assaulting african americans? And what if I told you that they're not idiots, they're oppressed.

And I go on to say that because you're not gay, you can't understand bigotry. And not only can you not understand bigotry, it isn't bigotry when gay people do it, because bigotry can only go in one direction, towards gay people.

I would sound like you, and I would be feeding the hate just as you do.

And finally, I am worried about flash mobs. And not for my own safety - I don't happen to live in a big city. I'm worried that flash mobs will set everyone back if they persist.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 08:41:14 PM PDT

•  You would be wrong (0+ / 0-)

On numerous accounts. The majority of people who identify as 'black' are fine with marriage equality.

Other than that you'be got a bunch of what ifs. Those don't mean shit.

by AoT on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 09:41:01 PM PDT