View Diary: Authorities deliver briefing on hunt for Boston Marathon bombing suspect (160 comments)

•  However I do get the idea the younger brother (6+ / 0-)

was heavily influenced by older brother and this is more recent radicalization for the younger one especially. As before that, he was a high school athlete and honor student who seemed to have a lot of friends and the neighbors and teachers liked him a lot. This kid got a scholarship and citizenship last year too.

So perhaps his radicalization and transformation is indeed more recent and a follower of his brother.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 02:49:29 PM PDT

•  Maybe because of the baby face? (5+ / 0-)

Hard to look at it and see evil.

Or maybe it's just that we want to believe we recognize evil when we see it. Because he certainly doesn't look evil, even as he appears to be smiling at that spot near the finish line where he put down his bomb.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 02:55:53 PM PDT

•  I am reminded of Versace's killer. (5+ / 0-)

When a killer shot Gianni Versace and a number of other people, police thought they were dealing with a serial killer who was waiting for things to settle down before his next strike. What they found was a spree killer, Victor Cunnanen (IIRC), who was cowering on a houseboat once the urge to kill left him.

I think it's quite possible that Dzhokar Tsariev is similarly hiding out now that his brother cannot egg him on.

The furor over Friday's [10.5] job report revealed a political movement that is rooting for American failure, so obsessed with taking down Obama that good news drives its members into a blind rage. -Paul Krugman

by Judge Moonbox on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:01:26 PM PDT

•  Maybe: (2+ / 0-)
        The Marti, middleagedhousewife

OTOH - according to the police he rolled right over his brother in order to flee.

And he has had more than enough opportunity to give himself up if his heart wasn't in this to begin with.

I desperately want to believe that he was practically forced by his brother to ccoperate b/c I think we should force ourselves to look for the humanity in everyone, but he has had over 12 hours now since his brother's death to say "I don't want this anymore."

Pretty scary.

Blessed are the peacemakers, the poor, the meek and the sick. Message to Repug Fundies: "DO you really wonder "what would Jesus do?" I didn't think so.

by 4CasandChlo on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:25:57 PM PDT

•  running over his brother (5+ / 0-)

and ditching the car sound more like panic to me. He may not even believe he can safely surrender - there are a lot of people talking 'shoot on sight'.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:28:12 PM PDT

•  Very true (0+ / 0-)

I am certainly no Policeman, I had heard the point stated exactly as I put down, I tried to be clear that I do not think of him or anyone as an animal.

I meant that the whole situation was scary, I am sure it is for those there,

I just wish he would turn himself in before more get hurt,

by 4CasandChlo on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:48:15 PM PDT

•  And that is true also. (0+ / 0-)

I certainly am no expert, just relaying what I heard.

I hope, as I am sure you do also, that this could just end without going further.

by 4CasandChlo on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:53:38 PM PDT

•  Just read on TPM that he apparently, after (0+ / 0-)

murdering and maiming people on Monday, had a normal day at school on Wed., working out at the gym, and relaxing at a party that evening. (http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/...)
          If he was at all remorseful, those actions do not show it -- not to me anyway.

"On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps...of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again."

by middleagedhousewife on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:51:12 PM PDT

•  It was Andrew. Andrew Philip Cunanan. (2+ / 0-)
        The Marti, Judge Moonbox
    •  I'm particularly struck by... (9+ / 0-)

How the older brother who has been here for 10 years said he had no American friends and just did not understand Americans. What's so hard to understand about us? Is this the same way American right wing fundies feel about people on the left? The just don't understand us, so they want to kill us?

Somewhere in here there is a lesson to be learned, but I confess I don't know exactly what it is or who needs to learn it.

"crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government" -Thomas Jefferson

by Phil In Denver on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:16:56 PM PDT

• Jeb Bush (30)
  • Iraq (30)
  • Barack Obama (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Climate Change (29)
  • Culture (28)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (21)
  • LGBT (17)
  • Science (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site