View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.9 (358 comments)

•  WTF! (7+ / 0-)

You've already done that today? I best get off my ass and get some shit done...

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 10:28:30 AM PDT

•  LOL!! (7+ / 0-)

I'll take a pix and put it up later.  I was going to wait on this, but wanted to plant that clematis.  In order to plant the clematis I had to pull up the sod and dig and build the bed!!  So it's done.  It's not big.  Narrow - only about 16 inches in planting width and the retainer wall only about 6 inches high.  Just enough to raise off the height of the lawn.

I'll do a mix of perennials and annuals.  And maybe some sunflowers, too.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 10:34:02 AM PDT

•  I bought a pitcher clematis (7+ / 0-)

at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center plant sale last week. It was my first trip to this event; remind me to write about that crazy little foray into the world of very committed Austin area gardeners. It was for members only and the place was a frickin' madhouse!

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 10:47:17 AM PDT

•  so... (7+ / 0-)

did you meet any other crazy gardeners like us??  heh heh....

did they have lots of unusual stuff?

by kishik on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 02:52:05 PM PDT

•  There were a few unusual items (7+ / 0-)

that you don't see in the local garden centers but for the most part everything was readily available elsewhere. They did have the one and only thing on my list which is not readily available though; palafoxia. It's another wildflower I've been trying to establish for years. loblolly sent me seeds a couple of years ago and then last spring I lucked into the only time they were available at a garden center. I bought most of what they had. They're re-seeders but I don't see any coming up yet and I definitely wanted to try again. I'd heard that the Wildflower Center usually had them available at the spring plant sale so off I went.

For some unknown reason I thought because it was a members only event it would be a quiet, easy-going casual garden party with new age music and free mimosas but instead it was a total frenetic crush of sweaty humanity careening about in a circus zoo atmosphere albeit a beautifully landscaped one. It started at 1pm and when I drove up at 1:15pm there was no parking, millions of people haphazardly milling about everywhere, and a general sense of frantic end-of-the-world chaos. I parked in the next county and hurriedly made my way to the center before all the good stuff would be gone.

Don't worry, I only knocked over two old ladies in wide-brimmed hats in my mad dash to the sale. Okay, maybe three. But no more than four. Five at the most. Six if you count the slow guy with the cane.

Adaption is the name of the game, baby!

This was a members only sale and the die-hards were definitely prepared. Most had carts and wagons already fully loaded by the time I arrived. I didn't notice any pack mules though. Well, there was that one lady... I wasn't there when it opened but I imagine it must have been similar to the Oklahoma Land Rush as people raced to stake their claim to the choice items. There might have been a cactus jail for the sooners but I could be mistaken.

Apparently palafoxia isn't all the popular with the early birds. There were at least four flats of 4" pots available with hardly any taken so I was able to pick and choose the best plants. I grabbed a cardboard box and loaded up. Their prices are higher to support the center so I didn't buy as many as I normally would. I added the pitcher clematis at the last minute because I got a free plant for being a new member. I looked around but it was such a crush of people that I cut things short and headed for the check-out only to be greeted by really really really really really long lines; people pulling garden carts with jumbo tires and Radio Flyer wagons loaded down with their hard-fought booty patiently standing and melting in the sun.

Yay!

I paid, hiked the ten miles back to the car, and headed home with my cardboard box of prized palafoxia.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 05:14:16 PM PDT

•  Won't the sunflowers get too tall (5+ / 0-)
        estreya, JupiterSurf, welso, kishik, Frankenoid