View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.9 (358 comments)

•  j... here you go... (8+ / 0-)

my little retainer wall for a small bed...

This is one of estreya's favorite pots in my garden!

that lobelia in the front was one of the prettiest shades of blue.  isn't reflected well in the photo though.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 02:42:14 PM PDT

•  It's perfect! (8+ / 0-)

Everything is looking so timeless. It's a testament to your mad skillz that it doesn't appear like it was just built earlier today. The pot helps elevate things beautifully. I love the black velvet petunias.

What are the five plants to the left of the lobelia? And is that a knockout rose? I love knockout roses ( sorry escapee ) and this year I picked up a couple of the yellow ones. I hope they're as prolific bloomers as the pink and red.

Blues are tough to capture. Because I'm always running out the door at sunset because I forget to get pics earlier in the day I've discovered that some colors photograph better in lower light. Both my pics today were taken in fading light yesterday.

Is golden oregano available in your area? It just occurred to me that it would stunning with black velvet petunias...

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 03:44:36 PM PDT

•  the plants at the front... (8+ / 0-)

are lemon thyme.  They smell wonderful.  They should do well since it's elevated AND the rock will provide heat in the winter.  And that's a camellia in the pot!  I need to find a spot for it.  It's not going to stay there because it will grow larger.  I have roses growing behind the fence.  One is the GOLDEN SHOWERS climber and the other the Peace rose climber.  :)

I also put in some Arp rosemary in front of the fence.  Would like a small hedge of them grow there.  :)

In the meantime, I was planning on throwing down some zinnia seeds and cat pee alyssum to fill in spots.  one clematis vine is towards the cypress... so it will get some shading as the sun goes over to the south.

welso knows this already, but I'm trying to enclose the whole back garden so that for this summer at least, Pootie #1 can roam in the back while I'm gardening.  It won't be hard since I have the fence along the back and side... and then the garage on the other side!  I just have to shore up chinks in the fence (at the bottom) and also put some hardcloth fencing behind the iron fence.  He's not a jumper, so it's fairly easy to contain him.  And then he will be in heaven, I know. :)  Especially with a stone bed surrounded by catnip and catmint!  :D

For the trellis, it'll be easy enough to rig up a gate to block him from going out - and one that can be removed when he's not in it.

Besides, with the pond, and little kids next door, I'll feel better if things are better enclosed all around.

by kishik on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 04:20:13 PM PDT

•  oh and... (6+ / 0-)

I happen to have picked up golden oregano!!  :D

It's something I had growing in a spot that ... those blankety-blank landscapers trimmed with those blankety-blank power tools... so it's now gone.  :(  So I had picked up more to replace.

by kishik on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 05:12:02 PM PDT

•  Looking good! (7+ / 0-)

I like that pot too.

Lobelias?? grumble, grumble, I have a potful of lobelias that survived the heat last summer and perked up in the fall. Dragged in and out for the freezes all winter. The plants are a picture of health, but still no flowers. I've been seeing them blooming at the stores since February.

What about the climate cliff?

by wayoutinthestix on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 04:25:11 PM PDT

•  i dunno... (7+ / 0-)

I think they spray something on the flowers to make them bloom?? Pixie dust?? LOL

It's supposed to go to 37 tonight!!!  But I'm not worried, all of these plants have been out for all the dips and swings in temps for like two weeks now.  They're all hardened off.

I love lobelia.  I just always forget to cut them back mid-summer for further blooming. Then they get really leggy and sometimes peter off.  I was going to throw in some alyssum in between.  Tonight looks like the coldest night... maybe the last coldest night at this point.  The rest of the nights will be in the mid-40s... which is still kinda cool for this time of year!

The ground, though, is completely workable.  I've planted many things early and they're doing very well.

welso sent me some larkspur seeds.  I don't see any coming up though.  gah.

by kishik on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 04:43:21 PM PDT

•  Holy smokes, Kish ... (7+ / 0-)

If Darrin could see this, he would forgive you for wiggling your nose to make it so. :)

It's just beautiful!  The pot looks exquisite in that corner space next to the arch - sort of a place of honor with the whole bed kind of springing forth as if in celebration of those arm-linked deities.

It's glorious.

•  Your reclaimed yard is looking FAB! (7+ / 0-)

can't wait to see the pictures of it in full bloom...such a beautiful space that your have made from your heart...will be a restful place

•  Thanks! (7+ / 0-)

I finally see the hostas push up.... I was really afraid maybe somehow I lost them! But they popped up like literally overnight. :-)

I need to pick up some coral bells for another spot... And other shade loving plants.

Sun is out today! Yay! No clouds!

by kishik on Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 03:33:53 AM PDT