View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.9 (358 comments)

•  It's gorgeous outside right now! (2+ / 0-)
    jayden, estreya

Perfectly blue skies and 70° in the shade.

And, the best part about it is ... I took the day off to work in the garden!  Hee hee ...

•  Yay! (2+ / 0-)
      estreya, welso

It's nice when the weather cooperates. Do you have a list of projects to get done or are you doing spring cleaning type stuff? Any new plants?

It hasn't even reached 70° here yet and it's overcast. It's all good though as I need to spend most of the day at my desk.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 09:45:06 AM PDT

•  Weeding! (2+ / 0-)
        estreya, jayden

I did some cleanup in the front yard, just clearing out the winter debris.

In the back yard, where I wanted to focus today, I put up bird netting for two of the three clematis vines.  Some years ago, I put up some plastic chicken fencing for them to climb.  Neither one of us liked it.  So now I'm trying bird netting.  The third vine will get some when the sprouts are big enough to reach the netting.

I cut back the butterfly bushes and chopped up the clippings. And I've done some edging and weeding.

No new plants.  I spent Sunday transplanting several dozen seedlings (some still inside, some now outside), so no new plant activity today.

This year, I've resolved to undo the last two years of neglect (first, the year with record rainfall where the yard was under water all summer, then last year when I worked OT all summer and we had a drought) and really stay on top of the weeding.  So I weed ...

The first of the new species tulips I planted last fall opened today.  :-)  The neighbor's trilliums started blooming today, too.

•  The species tulips are gorgeous! (2+ / 0-)
          estreya, welso

Did you get it all your garden projects done?

I was outside watering when the front blew through. It was one of those where you could feel the temps quickly dropping. We got a spit of rain but they're not expecting much moisture out of this cold front. And now they're saying it's not going to warm back up quite as fast as they originally thought but it should be back into the 80s by this weekend.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:32:00 PM PDT

•  I got a lot done. (2+ / 0-)
            estreya, jayden

Of course, I didn't get everything done that I wanted since plans are always greater than the time and energy available!  Lol.

We're getting the rain now, and temps are supposed to drop through the day.  When I get out of work later today, it's supposed to be about 20° colder then than it is now.

Had some happy surprises when I was weeding the shady area up by the house.  I was thinking of trying to propagate the 3 heuchera plants I had but discovered that they beat me to it ... I counted 9 plants yesterday!  :-)  Some other things were spreading nicely, too.

•  The tenacity of plant life (3+ / 0-)
              estreya, kishik, welso

never ceases to amaze me. What variety of heuchera? I've tried various types over the years but they just don't do well in this climate or crappy soil.

One thing that is doing very well are the orange daylilies you sent me. Each year they come back a little bit bigger. It shouldn't be too long before they begin blooming but it looks like the red spider daylilies will beat them to it.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 08:13:49 AM PDT

•  :( (3+ / 0-)
                jayden, welso, estreya

unless there are killer leaf blowers out there.

The daylilies that survived the clearing up last year are really doing well.  I planted these back there like decades ago, so when they cleared the area, I'm sure they just pulled like they were weeds, but many tubers remained.  :)

I wanna find a kerria... I have some in front which I could probably transplant a piece.

There are just some things I want to put back there again.  It started with the white birch.  :)  But there are plants and shrubs from my childhood I want growing back there again - like lily of the valley (pink), kerria, the daylilies (yay), nurse the lilac back, forsythia.

I put back in a rhododendron... something my dad always liked.  But Kerria is the sprawling shrub that my grandmother loved.  :)

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 01:05:36 PM PDT

•  I'm not familiar with kerria. (3+ / 0-)
                  kishik, welso, estreya

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 01:23:42 PM PDT

•  You know... (2+ / 0-)
                    jayden, estreya

I looked it up as soon as I was aware of its name. (we used to just call it the yellow pompom bush when we were kids!!) It had died out at some point, and I found it growing in a yard next to a diner.  I snapped off a branch with flowers and brought it to the garden center to ask. the following year, they ordered it for me.  :)

I think it may have reminded my grandmother of her homeland.  Maybe that's why she loved it so much.  :)

by kishik on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 02:02:16 PM PDT

•  I suggested it to you recently. (3+ / 0-)
                    kishik, estreya, jayden

You were talking about a golden something-or-other tree blooming, and I think I sent you a link link to pictures of the double kerria, which is a bush I have behind the garage and need to relocate to a more visible location.

•  The heucheras (2+ / 0-)
                estreya, jayden

are 'Palace Purple' and 'Monstrose Ruby.'

I got the Monstrose Ruby originally to replace 'Plum Pudding' that had died.

I've had these plants for years, and this is the first time they've multiplied. I wonder if it's because I've been leaving the fall leaves in place for the last couple of years.  The plants are in dry shade and the leaves help with moisture retention and also protect the crowns that have a tendency to heave out of the ground in winter.

•  "This year, I've resolved to undo ... (2+ / 0-)
          welso, jayden

... the last two years of neglect ..."

I could have written those very same words myself!  They say football is a game of inches.  Same can be said of weeding. :)

How's your wrist doing at the end of a day outside?

•  The nerves in my hands (2+ / 0-)
            estreya, jayden

seem to be okay this morning, which I'm surprised about.  I was using hand tools yesterday that could have been pressing on the one area of nerve compression I still have after all of the surgeries.  Go figure.

So today I just have the predictable achiness from over-use and some inflamed skin from who-knows-what (some kind of allergic reaction?).  My skin has always been cranky, and as I get older, it gets moreso.  Sigh.

•  Excellent! (2+ / 0-)
              jayden, welso

PS:  Stinging nettle?

•  Hey!!! (3+ / 0-)
                jayden, welso, estreya

How come you're not bonking her in the head for overdoing it?!?! She's got bad wrists!!!!!

by kishik on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 12:09:45 PM PDT

•  Hee hee (3+ / 0-)
                  kishik, estreya, jayden

It's 'cuz you're so easy to bonk!  ;-)

p.s., wrists are okay; it's my hands that are gimpy.

•  See!?! (3+ / 0-)
                    welso, estreya, jayden

Did you wear braces while working in the garden?!?!

Bonk!!!!

Heh.

;-)

by kishik on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 04:59:32 PM PDT

•  I'm not sure, Kish! (3+ / 0-)
                  kishik, welso, jayden

I think you just bring out the bonk in me.

OK, bonks for everyone!

There. :)

•  Actually, i gave myself a good bonk ... (3+ / 0-)
                    kishik, welso, jayden

... the day before yesterday.  While weeding, i accidentally poked two holes in my irrigation tubing.  Bigger than a "goof plug" would fix.  Let me tell you, i cursed like a drunken Frankie when it happened!  I was entirely derailed by it.

After many attempts (duct tape?  really?  i thought that would work?), i finally fixed the leaks this morning with the proper gizmos.  But in following the hose to the source, i found that it's also leaking where it meets the pvc pipe.  At least that problem is just natural deterioration and not caused by my being a silly-silly.

Now i have to figure out how to fix that loose connection.

•  Dang that's some aggressive weeding. (3+ / 0-)
                      welso, kishik, estreya

Were you taking out some frustrations while going after those weeds? Or were the weeds the frustration?

I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to weeding. I wait until it rains so the soil will be soft and the weeds pull easier. And you know how rarely it rains here anymore...

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 03:41:02 PM PDT

•  I bet... (3+ / 0-)
                        welso, jayden, estreya

she was using the screwdriver method...

by kishik on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 04:01:27 PM PDT

•  Ha! It's a poor gardener ... (3+ / 0-)
                          kishik, jayden, welso

... who blames her tools. :)

I did get that knife looking tool you recommended!  It finally came!  It, and the other Woodsman's what-do-you-call-it are now the finest garden tools i own.  Unlike the Woodsman's tool, though, i think i'll get a lot of use out of that blade weeder.  That Woodsman's tool still scares me.

•  Well, i should have stopped. (3+ / 0-)
                        kishik, jayden, welso

I was exhausted, and just before it happened, i thought to myself, i should stop because there are irrigation lines through here and i'm going to have to be careful and i'm too exhausted and achy to be careful!  And then i thought, just let me finish this one little area.  :)

What is it they say about the wisdom of one's first instincts?

It's all better now though.  Yesterday, i got the parts i needed for the PVC interface and everything plugged in and tested fine.  So all's well with the world!  Except for all the weeding that's still to be done. :)

As for your "notorious laziness" where weeding is concerned, i've seen your photographs!  You can't fool me.  Your garden spaces are always immaculate and resplendent.  I've never noticed a single weed, possibly because you plant so strategically and what weeds are there are rendered insignificant.

How are your cosmos doing?

•  The cosmos are doing splendidly! (3+ / 0-)
                          estreya, kishik, welso

They're quickly turning into one of those "Why didn't I do this sooner?" decisions. Of course, I still have to wait and see how well they fare in the brutal heat of summer but so far they're fantastic!

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 12:04:41 PM PDT

•  j... (3+ / 0-)
                            estreya, jayden, welso

have you never grown cosmos??

Cosmos actually like the heat... as long as you water.

by kishik on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 12:26:57 PM PDT

•  Not all the varieties. (3+ / 0-)
                            estreya, kishik, welso

I've grown the "bright lights" mix for years with fabulous results. This past year they grew to over 8' tall! But I shied away from the "sensation mix" and some of the others because I didn't view them to be as hardy.

Now I have all of them!

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 12:42:17 PM PDT

•  there was one year... (3+ / 0-)
                            estreya, jayden, welso

when I had these growing in the front yard (which I now call the jungle.  It needs so much work!!  But it will wait until I have the backyard set) and they grew like 8 feet high, too.  It was super hot that year.  I find they do best if allowed to self-seed... since they seem to sprout at the right time... and not the time we want them to sprout.  ;-)

by kishik on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 12:45:34 PM PDT

•  I just ran out and checked. (3+ / 0-)
                            kishik, welso, estreya

A few are already blooming!

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 04:28:04 PM PDT

•  Nope, (3+ / 0-)
                estreya, kishik, jayden

haven't seen any stinging nettle in the yard.

I'm wondering if it was just how much my hands got dried out, between all of the dirt and multiple hand-scrubbings to get the dirt off.  I put some hydrocortisone cream on them today and plenty of lotion and the skin is finally calming down, not stinging as much.

•  Hooray! (2+ / 0-)
      jayden, welso

You'll be snapping your clothespins like they're castanets!

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (73)
  • 2016 (57)
  • Elections (47)
  • Environment (46)
  • Media (43)
  • Republicans (39)
  • Hillary Clinton (37)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (35)
  • Civil Rights (33)
  • Law (33)
  • Iraq (32)
  • Culture (32)
  • Barack Obama (32)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Climate Change (30)
  • Economy (27)
  • Labor (25)
  • Bernie Sanders (21)
  • Congress (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site