View Diary: Crossing the border....Fàilte gu Alba! (81 comments)

•  Know the feeling well ! Have some .. (6+ / 0-)

....All-Butter Tablet (Preferably Ross's), some Nairn Oatcakes, Walker's Petticoat Shortbread,and..oh God....I want a Forfar Bridie....NOW!!!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:47:19 PM PDT

•  :) I make my own (6+ / 0-)

tablet from my mother's recipe and I do make sausage rolls and bridies from another one she had. Sausage roll, chips and beans, supper of champions with some Irn Bru to wash it all down, yummy. Meat pies I buy, since I haven't got the crust recipe perfected yet. My parent's used to have an old antique pie machine they had sent here, rewired it and mum made pies for everyone and their mothers, Cost Plus has a good fudge that is similar in taste and I just cannot remember the maker of it right now. Lee's macaroon bars will be my downfall.

Don't watch it dad, you will have brain cells jumping to their suicide. Me, when I learned dad had been watching Fox.

by glescagal on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:59:11 PM PDT

•  How is the heather coming along? (5+ / 0-)

Look forward to seeing the finished product. PM if you don't want to share with the whole world.

My youngest brought up the subject of a tattoo a couple of days ago. She knows about your little piper, but I don't think she wants to go that far.

Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength. - Eric Hoffer

by Otteray Scribe on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 02:56:34 AM PDT

•  Went to another artist (5+ / 0-)

since the first one just mucked it up so badly.  I'm working with this new person, to see if he can't undo some of the nightmare but right now he is on holiday for a month in Australia. Going to the Highland games near us, in a little place called Woodland next week, do you want anything when I am there doodad wise?

by glescagal on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 03:10:04 AM PDT

•  I am now at an age (6+ / 0-)

where I am trying to get rid of stuff instead of acquiring it. The offer is much appreciated anyway.  You have already done more for our family than you will ever know.

Having said that, if I had my wishes come true, I would be there to go to the games with you and yours. At this stage of my life, it is people and relationships that matter, far more than "things."  Later today, I will be taking my granddaughter "Burns Lass" with me to a meetup in Asheville, NC.  She has not broken the ice on posting yet, but signed up when we did the story about her little brother.  Says she is more a reader than a writer.  She is way too modest.  If I were wealthy, I would get her a student visa to go to Scotland to study Gaelic and soak up the history of her ancestors. She has an amazing ear for dialect. I am beginning to think she also has the gift of second sight, based on things she has said, even as a toddler. When she first began to learn to talk, she could do a perfect Scottish burr.

Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength. - Eric Hoffer

by Otteray Scribe on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 03:31:07 AM PDT

•  My very own sausage rolls (to Granaidh's recipe!) (3+ / 0-)
        glescagal, RiveroftheWest, The Marti

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 09:37:19 AM PDT

•  Look like mine do (3+ / 0-)

until they are gone. My husband will eat 3 at a time, right out the oven smothered in HP sauce. When I make them for get togethers anywhere, they are always the first thing that goes and then the question comes, why did you not make more. Damn I made 3 dozen land there are only 8 or 9 people here, you do the maths on that. I do cheat with the pastry, to make them for pot lucks. I've found the Pepperidge Farms pastry sheets are a good replacement when you can't be bothered making up the dough yourself.

by glescagal on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 11:48:09 AM PDT