View Diary: NRA, gun dealers await new surge of gun sales in wake of Boston shootout (112 comments)

•  Are those quotes for real? (3+ / 0-)
    RUNDOWN, Mark Mywurtz, worldlotus

Are there really people that fucking callous?

Stop the world, I wanna get off.

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense. Carl Sagan

by sjburnman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 06:05:38 PM PDT

•  Ooops. (4+ / 0-)

It isn't that hard to believe that those are real comments.  Not these days.

I'd still like to get off (this planet) if that can be arranged.

by sjburnman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 06:07:43 PM PDT

•  Note the Satire tag (6+ / 0-)

The quotes are fake, but entirely plausible.

I agree with President Obama, our country's journey is not yet complete. We must continue the work that our forebearers at Seneca Falls started, and put the Equal Rights Amendment into our Constitution.

by pistolSO on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 06:08:49 PM PDT

•  The diary is satire (3+ / 0-)

It's all fiction.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 07:04:24 PM PDT

•  Ah, we have a difference of opinions here. (0+ / 0-)

All fiction or reflective of actual comments, entirely plausible.

You (universal you, not you VClib) decide.

I am most reluctant to seek out such reprehensible comments, which may or may not exist, depending upon who you ask.

While this diary is fictional, have you, VClib, ever read or heard about any sentiments remotely similar anywhere?  I really am curious, not trying to start anything.

by sjburnman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 08:16:06 PM PDT

•  sj - no I haven't (2+ / 0-)
          sjburnman, andalusi

What I do know is that attempts at gun control legislation clearly spike both gun and ammo sales. The defeat in the Senate of the universal background check legislation will give confidence to gun manufacturers to ramp up production to fill all the orders on the books. Ammo is still in very short supply, particularly for some popular sizes.

I have never owned a gun so I have no first hand knowledge of the market dynamics, only what I read.

I thought it was snark early in the diary. It just wasn't believable.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 08:58:20 PM PDT

•  I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize (2+ / 0-)
            VClib, worldlotus

as you and pretty much everybody else did (ok, I was the only one who didn't), that it was snark.  But other comments suggest that the sentiments contained in this diary are not far off the mark, and that really bothers me.

I guess if I really wanted to know how closely these snarky comments may resemble comments from real people expressing their genuine feelings, I could go look, but whether I find anything like that or not, I will definitely find stuff I don't want to.

by sjburnman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 09:23:01 PM PDT

•  I've seen some comments (2+ / 0-)
      PinHole, greengemini

online that are asking what kinds of guns they had. Really. Not even a wingnut site - it was a newspaper site.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:42:53 PM PDT

•  The newspaper sites (1+ / 0-)
        greengemini

are just full of poison.  Have been for a long time.  They echo FAUX, Red State, the local shock jocks, Limpbaugh.

The above isn't snark -- it's too close to the truth.