View Diary: Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged, won't be treated as 'enemy combatant' (341 comments)

•  But why doesn't the fact that he committed an act (0+ / 0-)

of terrorism against our country mean that his rights should be revoked? I assume he gave up his rights as a citizen when he decided to plant a bomb to kill & injure people, and now he wants the people that he attacked to give him rights? I know it's how our country runs, but it just irritates me that he even has a chance to be acquitted after what he did.

Follow me on Twitter! @guileofthegods

by Guile Of The Gods on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 11:39:58 AM PDT

•  If he is convicted (17+ / 0-)

then he will give up certain rights. That's what due process is all about.

•  If we don't give people trials then how will we (9+ / 0-)

know that they actually did anything wrong?

Because the government says so?

What's to stop them from arresting me and claiming I did something horrible and executing me if we stop giving trials?

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 12:31:58 PM PDT

•  This is different. As I stated somewhere else (0+ / 0-)

it does have to be a case by case situation. In this situation with the Boston Bomber, it's not that the government said so, its that he did it. He was caught doing it, he was caught escaping. It's not really about stopping trials, it's about not giving this guy the respect & rights he thinks he deserves when he didn't respect the rights of the ones he injured or killed.

Follow me on Twitter! @guileofthegods

by Guile Of The Gods on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 12:50:10 PM PDT

•  So who gets to chose which cases it applies in? (5+ / 0-)

Because it sounds like you're saying we can just know when it's appropriate. I mean, rapists ignore the rights of the women they rape, should we ignore their rights because of that?

That could describe virtually every criminal. The problem, and what you aren't addressing, is that we need a way to verify that the people whose rights we're taking away are actually criminals. That process is called a trial. And until we have a trial we can't consider someone a criminal. That's how our system works, or is suppose to. You want to say fuck it and arbitrarily say that some cases are different. You still haven't explained how we determine which cases rights don't apply to.

by AoT on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 01:12:35 PM PDT

•  You're right. You're 100% right. (1+ / 0-)
            AoT

All I'm saying, is in this case, and I think in Holmes, but mostly this case, that we all KNOW what happened. We all KNOW who did it, and we all KNOW how it went down. In THIS case, I don't think he deserves a trial, but as far as everything else, you're honestly right.

Follow me on Twitter! @guileofthegods

by Guile Of The Gods on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 01:15:10 PM PDT

•  I know what you're saying (0+ / 0-)

I really do. There's plenty of times I feel the same.

by AoT on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 01:23:47 PM PDT

•  Thank you. It's not that I'm a total asshole (0+ / 0-)

or I don't think people deserve second chances, but it literally breaks my heart to think of the victims lives from now on, and how even those without physical injuries will have mental damage, or even financial damage if they can't pay their hospital bill, while this guy sits there, happy about what he did, expecting to be treated as a guy who is fighting a speeding ticket. It's totally an emotional response, but I just can't wrap my head around how someone can do what he did, and to think that theres even a .0000000000001% chance he may be set free.

Follow me on Twitter! @guileofthegods

by Guile Of The Gods on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 01:26:21 PM PDT

•  Well, I oppose the death penalty (2+ / 0-)
                  Guile Of The Gods, Timaeus

always, but this kid is going to die. I have no doubt. The government is going to kill him, it's just going to take a little time. The cops already started the process. He could still die from infection or some complication from his wounds. I bet he gets better health care than some of the victims.

by AoT on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 01:41:06 PM PDT

•  And now you know why it infuriates me when (0+ / 0-)

we do this kind of thing, cause it isn't the first time.

I bet he gets better health care than some of the victims.
                    I know he is, but healthcare is a different discussion for a different day.

What I think would be better, would be to kick this guy out of the country, and the money we would use on his trial, we use towards medical bills of victims. I should have said that an hour or two ago and saved all the trouble of making people on the threat think I'm some huge asshole, I'm only a part time asshole.

Follow me on Twitter! @guileofthegods

by Guile Of The Gods on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 01:46:06 PM PDT

•  He won't be acquitted. He killed WHITE people. (0+ / 0-)

Sadly, if this bomb had gone off in a low-income, heavily-minority neighborhood - and all the people killed or injured were African American or Latin@ - it would have gotten maybe two days' airplay - and a lot of talking heads babbling about how That Neighborhood just engenders bad things, y'know? Too bad so sad. Now on to the Pulitzer Prizes and the Boston Marathon winners!

Thank God, the Bob Fosse Kid is here! - Colin Mochrie