View Diary: Senate moves forward to close online sales tax loophole over Grover Norquist's objections (230 comments)

•  This is not a tax increase (8+ / 0-)

although the Rethugs may try to spin it as such.

•  It's a HUGE Tax Hike on Wkg and Middle-Class (19+ / 0-)

24B will be raised over one year.

And I"d be willing to bet that 80% of that 24B will come from working and middle-class Americans.

It's a Tax Hike which will exacerbate Income Inequality.

Learn about Centrist Economics, learn about Robert Rubin's Hamilton Project. www.hamiltonproject.org

by PatriciaVa on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:51:17 AM PDT

•  Suggest you famialiarize yourself with tax law (7+ / 0-)

currently in effect.  As stated above,

It just makes it more likely that taxes that are already supposed to be paid actually will be

My Karma just ran over your Dogma

by FoundingFatherDAR on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 10:12:30 AM PDT

•  Turbotax has never even asked me (5+ / 0-)
          eXtina, fumie, stevemb, Marjmar, peptabysmal

to do this, and I go through every screen faithfully.

rather than telling consumers to, at the end of the year, add up all their untaxed online purchases and pay taxes on them. (Yeah, right.)
          A LOT of what I buy, I buy online, and basically I pay no attention to the tax or lack thereof.   I wonder now what the totals might be.

However we know that all sales taxes are regressive, right?

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 10:40:29 AM PDT

•  Your last comment (6+ / 0-)

represents my only real objection.

Yes, this helps (e.g.) the local bookstore compete against Amazon; and yes, it eases the continued strangulation of state budgets.  But it does so by means of a regressive tax.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 10:42:50 AM PDT

•  Yeah, but a vast majority of those local (1+ / 0-)
              akmk

businesses are looong gone already. This is a revenue bill.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:31:59 PM PDT

•  It might help some of the few (2+ / 0-)
                bryduck, Dodgerdog1

remaining ones.  I'm thinking specifically of the Tattered Cover in Denver, for instance.

And I'm not arguing the revenue point.  My state requires a public referendum for any tax increase, so we don't see many of these.  Guess what's happened to state funding of infrastructure lo these past 20 years.

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:34:01 PM PDT

•  It might. (2+ / 0-)
                  Nattiq, lgmcp

I'm not arguing against this bill, but its effects will be detrimental overall, I'm betting, because it will take money away from people who keep the economy moving, full stop. If I am paying my proper 10% sales tax, then I have 10% less money, regardless of whom I owe it to. Will it make me buy local? Of course not, because a whole lot of what I buy online is not available locally in the first place. it will just leave me less money after I buy.

by bryduck on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:48:20 PM PDT

•  That's all very true; however, (2+ / 0-)
                    bryduck, lgmcp

the regressive nature of sales taxes is ultimately a matter that has to be solved at the state level.  (I'm also not denying the regressive nature of a lot of income taxes too.)

Yes, a lot of local merchants are gone, but there will still be cases where it will be possible and even desirable to buy something in person, and sometimes fiscally sensible to do so (no shipping charges, for instance).

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:55:42 PM PDT

•  Absolutely. As I said, I'm (0+ / 0-)

not opposed to the law, since it merely tries to enhance enforcement of an existing law. I'm just pointing out the unlikelihood of it helping local biz. After the decades-long twin onlaughts of Wal-Mart and Amazon, how many small retail businesses are still around in the vast majority of the country? And favoring Wal-Mart over Amazon is hardly what one could call a good thing, imho.
                      Meh. Again, it's simply another way of taking my money away. We'll see if the states do anything positive with their new revenue stream. I doubt any of the red states will, because that's how they roll in the first place.

by bryduck on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:59:40 PM PDT

•  Meager as it might be to buy something (0+ / 0-)

from Wal-Mart (which I don't do on principle anyway), it at least means a pittance is being paid to someone local.  You can't even say that about Amazon, not in most areas of the country at least.

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:01:02 PM PDT

•  Yes, but with Amazon I had that 10% more (1+ / 0-)
                          lgmcp

to spend elsewhere, which will now go to my state. Will that redound to my benefit? It might (I'm in California, after all), but certainly not directly, and maybe not at all.

by bryduck on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:06:02 PM PDT

•  Maybe, maybe not. (0+ / 0-)

As long as it doesn't go to the Federal War Machinery, I can deal.  As for the particulars, well, electorates make their decisions, and the possibility of effecting positive change at the state level isn't as meager as it is on the federal level.

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:09:57 PM PDT

•  Ahh, but that depends on what (0+ / 0-)

you are trying to do and what state you're in. (Think of how ending slavery, the Civil Rights Act, and the Voting Rights Act were effected, for example . . .)
                            I'm ok with California getting more money--I just wish it were done more progressively--but do I want Idaho or Utah to get more money? What blood red legislation and/or enforcement will they be paying for with this potential windfall? Do we want Joe Arpaio (I know, not a state-paid employee, but state money will flow downward to all kinds of people and agencies) to have more money?

by bryduck on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:25:14 PM PDT

•  I use TurboTax and I remember seeing this (10+ / 0-)

asked for (although a bit obscurely).  It's one line on a screen that lists multiple possibilities for additional taxes you may owe but only lists one "yes" or "no" answer at the bottom of the page.  So, yes, TurboTax does ask.

I've used TurboTax for many years (I think I first used it in 1998) and that question has been there for several years.

To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men. -Abraham Lincoln

by Eyesbright on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 10:47:21 AM PDT

•  Turbotax asks about it. (6+ / 0-)

Also, from their website:

Sales use tax considerations
            States that impose sales taxes generally impose an equivalent amount of use tax for out-of-state purchases on which no sales tax has been collected. Accordingly, purchasing goods from a neighboring state or on-line where no sales tax has been collected subjects you to use tax in your state of residence. Most states require you to self-report your out-of-state purchases and remit the calculated amount of use tax, and many states are getting extremely aggressive in pursuing this source of revenue.

In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

by Cixelsyd on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 10:54:33 AM PDT

•  Turbo Tax asks you… (2+ / 0-)
            lgmcp, mmacdDE

…if you live in a state that requires it to ask.

Union-printed, USA-made, signs, stickers, swag for everyone: DemSign.com.

by DemSign on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 11:48:03 AM PDT

•  Turbo Tax always asks (2+ / 0-)
            lgmcp, charliehall2

when your state requires it.  I'm in Louisiana, and the state income tax form has a line for it, and Turbo Tax always asks.  I think it's the same in some other states as well.

•  I agree and it is going to be bad for business (3+ / 0-)
        stevemb, musiccitymollie, Nattiq

because what is spent on taxes can't be spent elsewhere.

Folks will just be forced to still choose--food or medicine or shoes????

•  No it's not. (6+ / 0-)

It's only insuring that you pay the sales taxes you should have been paying all along.

Shop Liberally this holiday season at Kos Katalog

by JamieG from Md on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 11:04:06 AM PDT

•  Yes, and that translates into better (2+ / 0-)
          JamieG from Md, charliehall2

roads and bridges, more mass transit, money for parks, playgrounds, etc.  I buy a product online that is produced in my state (Colorful Images), and they only make me calculate state tax. I do not pay any other local tax on this purchase.

I am happy to pay taxes. I know the benefits are worth it.  I also don't think municipalities should be giving incentives to big business to locate in their town by waiving their taxes and fees, which is what WalMart is always trying to do.  That, in my opinion, is what hurts the little guy. Those taxes have to be paid by somebody!

“You can say any fool thing to a dog and the dog will just give you this look that says, 'My GOSH, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!” ― Dave Barry

by Merry Light on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 11:49:02 AM PDT

•  No... (1+ / 0-)
        charliehall2

It's probably more accurate to say that the adoption of e-commerce has lead to an unintended tax cut on consumers. This law would eliminate that "break" that they shouldn't be getting.

•  Thank you, thank you, thank you, Patricia VA. (5+ / 0-)

This is incredible.

'The wealthy' on average had measly 6/10's of One Percent tax hike levied on them as a result of this Administrations' so-called negotiations, and Democratic Senator Mark Warner's Amendment No. 693 to repeal or reduce inheritance taxes passed by a huge margin.

Yet, in spite of this, 'progressives' are clamoring for a sales tax hike!

This is beyond surreal, LOL!

Here's the reality of where we're going, below.

And here's what I found regarding Warner Amendment No. 693.

[Page: D266]  GPO's PDF

By 80 yeas to 19 nays (Vote No. 66), Murray (for Warner) Amendment No. 693, to repeal or reduce the estate tax, but only if done in a fiscally responsible way.

Pages S2284, S2285-86

I'm in a state where the tax isn't excluded on much of anything (RX, I believe--BUT NOT FOR YOUR PETS, BY GEORGE!) and is among the highest in the nation--9.75 percent!

Half the folks I know shop in a couple of neighboring states because of this exorbitant sales tax.

The ability to do this could very well 'spur on' the raising of taxes for state revenue, in lieu of state income taxes.

That's the reason that our REGRESSIVE sales tax is so high--the PtB refuse to implement an income tax, which usually is at least a bit progressive.  No, no, no--can't ask 'the wealthy' to pay, can we?

I'm going to continue to call my Senators and my Rep (all Republican) and lobby them to oppose this legislation.

Since both Repubs are of the same mindset of this Administration (corporatists--both of my Senators work with the so-called corporatist, or 'centrist' Gangs), they will probably go along with it.

My Rep--not sure.  Couldn't get a commitment one way or the other, way from her office.

But I'll get calling.  BTW. here are the numbers for anyone else who's incensed by this.

Here's the White House Comment Line (live and recording):

1-202-456-1111

Here's two Capitol Hill phone numbers (for Speaker Boehner, our Senators and US House Representatives):

1-866-220-0044
        1-202-224-3121

[These are current numbers.]

And this is now a major 'progressive' goal?

I hope that folks who are supporting this piece of legislation remember this if and when they 'take a haircut' as a result of the federal 'tax overhaul' that the Administration is overseeing now.

The notion that the so-called 'loopholes' that will be closed will be those used by the corporations and 'the wealthy' is laughable.

Oh, they may throw the base a bone, and include a couple of loopholes that target corporations or 'the wealthy,' but watch my word--mostly the 'loopholes' will impact the broader masses--especially lower and middle income folks.

The [from a previous diary] the statement that . . .

'The idea is based on the belief that poor people are the least likely to buy online, so they are paying an even more disproportionate tax burden than if the internet sales tax was closed.'
        I say to the CBPP--that is just patently ridiculous.

When "progressive' means taking away benefits from low- and middle-income people in order to 'even the playing field' with desperately low-income, or poor people--GAME OVER!  [for the Democratic Party]

What should be happening is that federal and state income taxes should be raised SUBSTANTIALLY on 'the wealthy' who have enjoyed the benefits of soaring incomes or capital over the past 30 years!

And instead of Democratic Senator Mark Warner leading the charge to eliminate estate tax (or greatly lowering it), the federal estate tax should also should be raised SUBSTANTIALLY.

However, IMHO, if folks wonder what's happened to the Democratic Party.  I'd say that this incident is a PERFECT example of what's wrong with it.

The above notion, put forth by the supposedly left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP)--which I believe ALSO CAME DOWN IN FAVOR OF THE CHAINED CPI, IF with exceptions for the old and the poor, and as part of a 'Grand Bargain' or deficit cutting deal-is exactly why the Democratic Party has veered SO FAR TO THE RIGHT!

This is from their website, and is parroting the Administration, for Pete's Sake!

Yikes!

P.S.  Per Bowles-Simpson's The Moment Of Truth, it is apparent that the main 'loopholes' that lawmakers are going to close are those that mainly are paid by low and middle income folks.  [Although I don't remember if the sales tax loophole was mentioned.

Many tax loophole 'closures' proposed are aimed primarily at working class and middle income folks, though.  Like taxing group health insurance premiums, for instance.

Please folks, read the entire proposal.  It's only 66 pages in PLAIN ENGLISH.  Very enlightening, and spells out the 'austerity measures' that are going to be implemented, if we don't stand up and fight against it!

Section II, Tax Reform, begins on Page 29.

Section V, Social Security, begins on Page 48.

And be sure and bring your cryin' towel with you.

When you see they deep cuts they have in mind for Social Security (when all are enacted--the least deep of which is the Chained CPI), and how they intend to raise taxes ON YOU, maybe it will become more clear why I so strongly oppose THIS regressive tax increase.  [I am referring to the cuts proposed by the President's own Fiscal Commission, in The Moment Of Truth].

I fear that this is 'just the tip of the iceberg!'

I've been linking to the Tax Reform Section of their proposals for months, trying to make this point.

Now, the point has been made for me.

Expect to see a federal 'tax overhaul' with MANY MORE tax loopholes that affect the average guy, being the ones that will be closed, or eliminated.

And this is exactly why the Republican Party will gladly go along with this Adminstration's proposed 'Grand Bargin.'

I am convinced from what I read that the bulk of the loopholes that they will negotiate 'closing,' will be those that pertain to the masses--the 'average Joe.'

IOW, you and me.

We must be vigilant, and read and look beyond the Democratic or Republican talking points!

[Apologize in advance for redundancy and typos.  In a bit of a push for time!]

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:12:33 PM PDT

•  I'm one of those pathetically poor folk who (4+ / 0-)

continued on-line shopping after Amazon started collecting taxes.  It saves me gas and time on freeways.  I have a computer, Internet access, a debit card, and a really old car.  It's a no-brainer for most of us.  I'm not willing to be outraged that I have to pay what my friends pay at the Mall.  Add a new Internet only tax and I'm all outrage central.

by I love OCD on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:21:04 PM PDT

•  Hey, I love OCD--go for it, then. As I explained (2+ / 0-)
            lostinamerica, PatriciaVa

[at length], the tax overhaul will make some of us take a real 'haircut,'--including Mr. M and I.

Our tax bill will be tremendous next year, if we lose the tax expenditures that we have due to employment, etc.

Therefore, I am flat-out against a hike in sales tax rates--for anyone, regardless of 'brick and mortar' taxation policy.

If it's any consolation to you, I fully expect that this bill (and all very regressive tax bills, and/or bills that cut social insurance benefits) will easily pass under this Administration.

I hope that you'll be happy with the results, when all is said and done.  ;-)

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:35:54 PM PDT

•  im really happy with Obama so far, (1+ / 0-)
              musiccitymollie

and expect to feel even better in 2014, once the serious activists work a mid-term.  What I'm happiest about is that the Republicans are losing the narrative, their lies are out in the open, and we're having national attention paid to things like income inequality, the obscene cost of healthcare, the high price of warfare, how important effective government is if you want quality of life, and how inefficient the private sector is at almost everything of value.

I actually care more that we start fighting for what we want in this country than I care about whining that it's not being spoon-fed to us, on our terms, or else!

by I love OCD on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 06:12:18 PM PDT

•  Well, since I'm a liberal, I can't (0+ / 0-)

share your enthusiasm.

The truth is, I am deeply concerned what the rest of this term may bring, especially in regard to the cuts to both Social Security and Medicare that the Administration proposed in the 2013 Budget.

My midterm activism will consist of working on campaigns to 'primary' some of the most offensive of the corporatist Dems.

I especially hope to see the Democratic Leadership targeted, IF they push through a 'Grand Bargain' that includes cuts to the social safety net.

BTW, it appears that what you consider 'whining,' I consider 'advocacy.'  [Maybe you missed the WH and Capitol Hill phone numbers that I posted in several of the diaries on this topic.]  ;-)

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:26:39 PM PDT

•  I guess I can't be a liberal if I (0+ / 0-)

have my own opinions and my own outlook on politics.  Isnt it interesting that we mock the Republicans for embracing the intolerant Tea Party while displaying the same intolerance toward our own fellows if they dare to think differently.  The Big Tent must be shrunk in order to keep it pure?  That worked so well for the other guys!

by I love OCD on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:16:38 PM PDT

•  Excuse me, my intention was not to 'label' you, (0+ / 0-)

one way or the other.  Only to explain that I don't share your enthusiasm, and why.

Since our definitions of liberal may differ, maybe that was not the best 'term' to use to try and clarify my political ideological views.

Personally, I've never 'mocked' the Tea Party.  So please don't include me in that statement.

Actually, I admire that they stand up for their beliefs.  I've often said here, that though some of them may 'be a bit in left field,' at least they aren't 'door mats.'

And to some extent, I believe many progressive or liberal activists (including myself) might be well-served to take a lesson from that.  Otherwise, I find very little to admire about them.

I am sorry that I seem to have upset you.  My conversation was meant to be geared toward policy.  It was not meant to disparage you, or anyone else, because you do not share my assessment of the Administration's policies.

As for the "Big Tent" philosophy, I question whether we would have the push by this Administration to cut social insurance programs, if the Democratic Party had chosen to exercise a bit more 'purity.'

The take over of the Party by conservative business (or corporatist) Dems, and so many Blue Dog conservatives (although thankfully we've shed a few of them recently, LOL!) has rendered the Party almost unrecognizable, IMO.

It's my sincere hope that I can help turn that trend around. ;-)

I'm not offended, but I am puzzled that advocating for strongly and sincerely held convictions is considered to be intolerant.

I say that because I'll either have to 'sit out' the 2014 midterms, or work actively to better the Party [that's a subjective measure, of course].

At this time, I expect to do the latter.

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 09:38:06 PM PDT

•  Online sellers will see only sale price change... (0+ / 0-)

... (maybe) all other stuff such as manpower etc. is same. Ground based sellers will have to decide if they want to compete with online price, service, or other conditions of (normal) business practice. Because ground based business' are already paying taxes they may see an opportunity to increase sales and/or market share and meet or beat online sellers price or other options such as extended warranty, buy # get add one free or 1/2 price...yadda, yadda.  Usually the customer is the winner.  just saying

Our nations quality of life is based on the rightousness of its people.

by kalihikane on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:13:44 PM PDT

•  No, it's an utter PITA for small businesses (4+ / 0-)
      lissablack, stevemb, akmk, VClib

I have a small business. I do my own bookkeeping and accounting. I sell a LOT to out-of-state customers. Right now I pay sales taxes to my home state of Texas. However paying taxes to other states is going to be an extreme pain as now I'll have to learn which states charge what, reprogram my homemade order database, and pay 27 or 51 or 9,000 separate taxing authorities. Paying 1 takes me about 5 minutes. Paying 27 would take me about 6 hours. Paying more would put me out of business as I simply couldn't do it. I want to design and make signs, I don't want to spend a significant chunk of time on tax compliance.

Union-printed, USA-made, signs, stickers, swag for everyone: DemSign.com.

by DemSign on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 11:43:39 AM PDT

•  This is my concern (0+ / 0-)

There should be an exemption for businesses under a certain gross income level, and maybe it should be a reasonable level.  Certainly it will put lots of hobby businesses out of business.  I quit selling the salve I make because the paperwork was too onerous for me, and I didn't even have to do this then.  I didn't need the money though.  This will kill people who need the money.

On the other hand, I would be more than happy to pay the sales tax to Amazon and other big established businesses.  And Ebay could certainly figure out how to do it for their sellers.  Maybe Paypal could too actually, that could help a lot.

It's pretty impossible to figure out what you should have paid for online purchases and send it in yourself.  In NM you are supposed to do that.

It should go along with killing tax breaks for oil companies and everyone else rich though.  Farm subsidies.  Et al.  It sure is regressive by itself.

•  You have over a million in sales? (0+ / 0-)

Pretty big small business.

If you don't, this doesn't even affect you.

•  sure it is. (0+ / 0-)

If you buy $200 worth of things on line and pay $0 tax this year but next year you pay $12 of tax.  That's an increase in the taxes you are paying.  Yeah we all know you should be paying that this year, but you're not.

•  I can't believe the comments here (1+ / 0-)
      mmacdDE

We complain about state and local government budget cuts, but don't want to see to it that they get the money they are rightfully owed?

And we encourage illegal tax evasion???