View Diary: Tsarnaev: Both RW Nut and Islamist? (67 comments)

•  Please see link for confirmation of (2+ / 0-)
    AuroraDawn, Be Skeptical

Islamist influence, including Al Qaeda websites. Really, I don't get your protestations.

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 06:17:13 PM PDT

•  Tiller's Killer claimed Christian websites too (2+ / 0-)
      Eyesbright, native

What I'm saying is that you can't just adopt the name of a religion. I know many Muslims, and every one of them would tell me that such mindless violence is not even remotely related to their religion.

My "Christianity" could never justify murdering a doctor. You can't just invent your own rules and say you represent a religion.

The fact that these psychopaths tried to put themselves under the umbrella of Islam says nothing about the religion. It says loads about the two of them.

Like every American I'm wondering about the younger brother. Leader, follower or deluded? Who knows.

•  What the killers say is there motivation is (4+ / 0-)

correct: that does not implicate the overwhelming majority of others who adhere to a faith, nor does it make the killers' interpretation of faith in any way correct.

This isn't about Islam. This is about what the terrorists say was there motivation. Reporting such is important, just as much as reiterating to low-information people that the terrorists' interpretation of their religion is both unpopular and shunned by most every other of their co-religionists.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 06:35:45 PM PDT

•  "their" not "there" sorry (2+ / 0-)
          AuroraDawn, exlrrp

by jeff in nyc on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 06:36:12 PM PDT

•  Well said. n/t (2+ / 0-)
          jeff in nyc, yella dawg
          This isn't about Islam. This is about what the terrorists say was their motivation. Reporting such is important, just as much as reiterating to low-information people that the terrorists' interpretation of their religion is both unpopular and shunned by most every other of their co-religionists.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

by AuroraDawn on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:04:34 PM PDT

•  I would like to see the shunning % go even higher (1+ / 0-)
            jeff in nyc
            It's still not nearly high enough
            •  That's where I was going (1+ / 0-)
              zootwoman

Idiots like King, Gomert and Bachmann exploit the willful ignorance of many Americans about Islam. If the press would emphasize "their version" and the general antipathy of others in that mosque when Tamarlin went off on Martin Luther King, perhaps we would begin to crack a barrier that still exist among us.

•  what we have is a link to (1+ / 0-)
      jeff in nyc

a great deal of Islamist materials, that doesn't necessarily mean Islamist motivation; the underlying motivation can still be rage where Islamicist is a funnel to direct said rage.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:26:01 PM PDT

•  Yes, and it's also obvious to me that a lost (0+ / 0-)

And angry young man can latch onto the nearest ideology that makes him feel certain when society and the world is do scary....gott mitt Uns etc.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:29:40 PM PDT

•  I found (1+ / 0-)
        a gilas girl

It peculiar that the videos on his computer were in a folder called "terrorism".  I posit that a true believer taking commands from a broader network would 1. Not leave something so obvious for the authorities to find 2. would not consider fiery speeches preaching Islamic Fundamentalism as terrorism or related to terrorism.

I think the kid just had some mental issues.  It doesn't excuse what he did, and I am glad he is no longer a threat.