View Diary: Nonpartisan Redistricting Maps: A Closer Look at Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania (36 comments)

•  Also... (0+ / 0-)

Why did you add Hingham and a large part of the South Shore to most of Boston? If anything, the South Shore should be with Southie and parts of Dorchester, just like the current MA-08 (which is generally a great COI).

Home: North Shore of Illinois, College: Main Line of Pennsylvania (PA-07)

by IllinoyedR on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 07:55:50 AM PDT

•  Response to all of your comments (0+ / 0-)

1. I disagree with your first comment. I firmly believe that there should be a rural seat and an urban/suburban seat in Western/Central Mass, and that's what I drew.

2. I also disagree. Plymouth County has much more in common with Cape Cod than Fall River and New Bedford.

3. On my map, the South Shore (with Hingham) is with South Boston and Dorchester. I'm not sure what you are complaining about here.

Also, on what basis are you making these assertions? As my username states, I am from New England, and know a lot about the place and about the communities there. You are neither from here nor go to college here, so I find it strange that you are making assertions that, if implemented, would result in huge CoI violations.

(-8.38, -4.72), CT-02 (home), ME-01 (college) "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." -Spock

by ProudNewEnglander on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 06:55:36 AM PDT

•  COI is in the eye of the beholder. (0+ / 0-)

by James Allen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 10:37:15 AM PDT

•  In some cases yes, but (0+ / 0-)

in Massachusetts I think it's pretty clear. The Berkshires do not belong with Springfield, period. And if anyone can think of similarities between Cape Cod and Fall River/New Bedford, I'd like to hear them.

It's this way in other states as well. For example, in Michigan, putting Genesee and Livingston together would be a clear CoI violation, and Stephen Wolf realized that and fixed his map. Similarly, I'm sure you can agree that putting Eastern Oregon with parts of Portland would be a huge CoI violation.

by ProudNewEnglander on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 11:51:26 AM PDT

•  it depends on which parts (0+ / 0-)

some could fit depending on your definition of COI, which is why it's not always helpful.

The whole "this city/county doesn't fit well with this other city/county" thing just isn't helpful.  When Suzanne Bonamici was the co-chair of our redistricting committee, she said that at the size of a congressional district, its more about not dividing communities rather than how you put the communities together.  I think that was wise.  In general there are going to be combinations of communities in lots of districts that a good number of people disagree with, because COI is so subjective.

by James Allen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 12:07:15 PM PDT

•  Okay, let's say for a minute (0+ / 0-)

that we go with your approach, and try to not divide communities of interest. Springfield and its suburbs constitute a community of interest, as do Berkshire, Hampshire, and Franklin Counties. If these two are combined, then the district would be overpopulated. Thus, in order to keep each of the two CoIs together, they must be in different districts, and in that case my map basically draws itself.

Essentially, the only way to draw any other map in Western/Central Massachusetts is to deny that one or both of the CoIs that I mentioned exist.

In addition, I'm tired of seeing state officials in Boston ignoring the concerns of rural Western MA. The rural parts of the state deserve a district all of their own, without the interference of urbanites in Springfield or Worcester.

by ProudNewEnglander on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 12:56:15 PM PDT