View Diary: Background check bill for buying explosive powders ought to make 'taggants' an issue (150 comments)

•  There's no reason for a civilian to have gunpowder (2+ / 0-)
    The Marti, Jasonhouse

in 2013.  Put it on the same list as enriched uranium and ricin.

•  No There Is Not (1+ / 0-)
      The Marti

I am 110% sure I can go buy everything I need to build a bomb. Blow up the town I live in. One I would never do that. Two I am sure it is simple if I wanted. Look I am against guns, but just as easy for me to kill folks in my town.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 02:05:27 PM PDT

•  Actually, there really are (19+ / 0-)

Lots of folks really do use it for legitimate reasons...reloaders, muzzle loader, etc.

We can debate whether folks should have guns (I support an AWB Ban), but as long as people can own guns, there are reasonable reasons to have some black powder and such.

But, as MB says, there is no good reason not to get background checks, limit quantities, and add tagants (if possible) to the powder.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 02:41:46 PM PDT

•  Nonsense, you're being silly-- (7+ / 0-)

Amateur pyrotechnics, amateur rocketry, home ammunition reloading, black powder firearms hobby.  These are are legitimate reasons for civilians to purchase and own various forms of black powder and gunpowder.

And there's no reason at all not to require background checks and taggants.

.-Jay-

•  Registering all sales makes a lot more (2+ / 0-)
        KenBee, JayBat

sense than trying to require a 20 dollar background check to buy a pound of powder for muzzleloader season.

I love you stupid fucking fucks. Now stop poking at the dead cat on the table and get back to the issues.

by JesseCW on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 04:38:18 PM PDT

•  Yeah, there is .... (6+ / 0-)

The largest group of civilians using black powder would probably be the Patriotic Re Enacting Community ... the folks who get up in historical costumes and re enact Civil and Revolutionary War battles ...  Of course a big part of the fun is firing the muskets and the muzzle loading cannon ...  and as far as I've heard, aside from the occasional powder burned eyebrows, no one has been hurt.

Then, there's the hunters who use single shot muzzle loaders.

And there's "cap and ball" fanciers who use antique and replica firearms for target practice and competition.

Now ... "put taggents" in the powder ?  Sure.  Why not.

But further restrict black powder at the Federal level ?  (State regulation can be offensively formidable)   I don't think so.

•  Really, why not? You sure didn't include your (0+ / 0-)

"logic" in your comment. Get licensed, do what you want. How simple is that?

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 09:22:00 PM PDT

•  Why not ? ... because Windmill Tilting results (0+ / 0-)

in bruised butts and sore heads. Your Squire sympathizes  but your horse just laughs.

Near as I can figure: the Republican legislators are on board with the NRA agenda ... and the Democrats are too chickenshit to oppose it.  (It's not dignified to have your Squire sympathizing and your horse laughing.)

Personally ... I'm with the late Ted Kennedy on the idea that there ought to be a "Class X Dealer's License" allowing/enabling citizens to undergo ONE background check, and thereafter buy and sell defined types and quantities of conventional sporting arms in all 50 states, -- subject to the local laws and regulations.

Now the problem with Black Powder, as of this moment, is that under existing  State regulations, there are a lot of jurisdictions (my own included) in which you cannot conveniently go into the sporting goods store, show your ID and buy enough, and only enough,  powder for your immediate needs.

Rather than put up with the fol-de-rol of an in-person purchase ... it's a lot less trouble  to order "online." However,  with shipping costs and HAZMAT fees,  it makes more economic sense to buy much more than you actually need, and sell the surplus to the  good and trusted friends you met the other day at the shooting match or target range.

Yet, even so ... until now there's been precious little harm done to the commonwealth with Black Powder and black powder arms -- at least not as compared to handguns and "modern sporting arms."

Personally, I want for there to be a National database of owners and serial numbers ...

I'd like firearms to be as well kept-track-of as automobiles and pedigree dogs.

But, I'm not in the Senate, am I ?   Nor am I likely to be.

C'mon ... we live with  a DE-regulatory legislative climate in which the Federal law against straw purchases is well nigh unenforceable ... Federal agencies are barred by law from collecting statistics on gun crimes ...

Well, I'm telling you stuff you already know:  "The NRA and their Useful Idiots  will not have it so."

Nor is it that this Administration has shown any enthusiasm for RE-regulating -- ANYTHING.

Meanwhile: on "our side" the well-meaning and ill-informed cannot even manage to frame "The Gun Show Exception"  as the "Dark Alley Exception".  (Gun Shows are family-friendly, community based Good Things -- so law abiding, church going  citizens selling weapons to other law abiding and church going citizens in the parking lot of a Gun Show -- where's the problem.  But the same loophole in the federal law allows any one to sell their personal property to anyone else, and if the other anyone else just happens to commit a crime with it -- well, the local law can  punish the buyer if he/she wasn't allowed to own a gun in the first place.

•  People do reload their ammunition (4+ / 0-)
      JayBat, PavePusher, ER Doc, Dogs are fuzzy

They save the brass and buy new powder, primer and pellet. Part of the paraphernalia game of guns.
      And farmers around here use either black powder or fertilizer explosives to blow stumps. It's quite exciting!

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 06:10:27 PM PDT

•  Yes, let's ban 1000-year-old basic chemistry.... (1+ / 0-)
      ER Doc

and common home and garden materials.

That'll solve everything.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 07:00:29 PM PDT