View Diary: Monument to a War Criminal (200 comments)

•  I would have diplomatically... (10+ / 0-)

... stayed away.

Or gotten a debilitating migraine and ended up in ER.

by NonnyO on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 11:20:37 AM PDT

•  I'm betting many of them would have liked to (5+ / 0-)
      The Marti, devis1, jilikins, NonnyO, Cliss

have done just that.

But sadly, when you're at that level, you often have to do things you'd rather not.

"We have only the moral ground we actually inhabit, not the moral ground we claim." - It Really Is That Important

by Diogenes2008 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 11:47:52 AM PDT

•  Well, I must admit... (6+ / 0-)

... since I discovered most of my migraines were related to food allergies and stopped eating the foods that triggered them (difficult to get away from the smells of some, like MSG in particular, and just the smell can give me a migraine), I could - if I wished to go through the agony - eat some of what causes the projectile vomiting and a three-day migraine, go to an event, get sick in front of everyone or vomit on their shoes, and then leave.

I'm old enough I no longer care about most "polite conventions," even if I did obey the politeness routines when I was younger.

I figure at my age I no longer have time to waste by sitting around listening to liars whose voices make me as ill as the sight of their ugly lying mug shots.

Now I have the luxury of following the dictates of my moral and ethical convictions.  If I don't want to be seen as associating with evil people where my presence and polite silence would imply agreement with their lies and crimes, I don't go to places where they are appearing.  It's all very simple for me now in my old age.

As one of my fridg magnets says:

Life is too short to dance with ugly men.

by NonnyO on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 03:47:00 PM PDT

•  We are on the same wave length (2+ / 0-)
          NonnyO, PhilJD

Nonny - I don't suffer fools gladly.  Still dislike stuck up snobs thou.......

A whole lot less tolerant of meaness and evil, and more forgiving of those less intelligent but earnest.

•  Oh, yeah....! (3+ / 0-)
            PhilJD, Janet 707, PinHole
            The word 'ignorance' only means 'unlearned or untaught.'  We're all ignorant about something (even avid reader and sponge of knowledge that I am, there are libraries full of things I'll never know because there's not enough time in one human life span to learn everything).

I can work with true innocent ignorance.  I adore toddlers and it's fun to look at the world through their eyes and help them learn new things.  They make learning and language fun!

The other things you wrote: "whole lot less tolerant of meanness" - totally true!  It took me years, but now that I am a senior citizen I've awakened to the fact that I have now lost all patience with malicious evil [think: Dumbya, Dickie, their evil cohorts, including those who refuse to hold them accountable and have still not repealed their illegal and unconstitutional legislation, for instance].

I'm on the side of life where I now have no time to be patient enough to wait years and years and years for something positive to be accomplished.  If it's going to change back to being better, it has to happen soon.  I plan to live to age 100 in spite of health issues: that's only 33 more years - a mere blink of an eye, in terms of the life span of the planet.  I want to see positive changes before I die.

by NonnyO on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 04:05:17 AM PDT

•  Scheduling conflicts were invented for this (5+ / 0-)

sort of occasion.  There is a ton of precedence for a sitting president to not attend.

by YucatanMan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 08:59:03 PM PDT

•  :-D That would have been... (1+ / 0-)
        YucatanMan

... my first choice for a valid reason to stay away.

by NonnyO on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 04:06:54 AM PDT