View Diary: Eating Poverty (63 comments)

•  I have an oven, and a crock pot (3+ / 0-)
    BlackSheep1, Mortifyd, anafreeka

And yes, the water is good. We researched this area before we moved in, for walk-ability and water/neighborhood. I even have a bread machine my mom bought us for Christmas (which has saved us some weeks when we ran out a day or so before payday).

The biggest detriment is the energy/stamina to cook it. Some days I can make more complicated things than others. Some days the cooking is up to the kids with my supervision. Sunday when Caedy is off we're going to make the ham and green bean soup, because she'll be here to help with the cooking down of the ham bone/stock. I should be able to freeze half of what we're making that day for another meal next week too, hopefully.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 05:26:23 PM PDT

•  I learnt to make biscuits (1+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM

using packets from the store that cost 3 for $1. Two of those packets mixed as one batch in a loaf pan makes good fresh bread -- and the effort required is reading the packet, stirring in the water, and pouring the dough into the pan, which then goes in the oven.

I have been known to make slow-cooker chili using beef shank slices for the meat. You need a slow cooker, and shank slices that are no more than 1/3 bone marrow.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 05:32:07 PM PDT

•  I have flour and yeast and baking soda/powder (2+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1, Mortifyd

So I can make biscuits easily enough, or whole loaves of bread in the bread machine (add ingredients, turn on, wait 3 hours). I love my bread machine because even on my worst days I can usually manage it. No kneading, no stirring, just add and wait. That's why my mom bought it for me, because we were making our own bread when I was up to kneading it. But there were days when that just wasn't going to happen LOL.

I have no idea how much beef shank slices would be, I'd have to look into that. Thank you for the suggestion! Usually we make chilli with 2 rolls of turkey burger ($1.69 for 12 oz), two cans of beans, diced tomatoes and some chilli powder. This month poultry and beans just haven't been cutting it for me, and this was just a slightly worse than normal week for grocery budget. Usually we have about $120.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 05:40:51 PM PDT

•  If I post the recipe, it's not as an insult. (4+ / 0-)

But I think there's better information here, even if the prices are out of date:

Those shanks cook out an enormous amount of rich beefiness.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 05:50:30 PM PDT

•  Bookmarked the recipes (2+ / 0-)
            Mortifyd, psyched

Thank you. I'll see what I can find. Maybe I can use something besides beef shank if those are too expensive (left over roast cut up, etc.). I hoard my leftover meat scraps to use up, so I'm sure I'll find something!

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 05:54:31 PM PDT

•  we're all in this together (2+ / 0-)
              Mortifyd, FloridaSNMOM

so if we're not helping one another something's wrong.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 08:12:35 PM PDT

•  Funny that correntewire should be mentioned (1+ / 0-)
              FloridaSNMOM

Besides the interesting recipes, that site is where Kossack Letsgetitdone writes frequently about Modern Money Theory (MMT)  and usually re-posts his writings to DKos.

Money, of course, is at the base of all hunger in America. Here is one of his diaries:

That one is actually a re-post from Huff Post by MMT expert Warren Mosler. In it he discusses things the government should be funding, since it is the creator of fiat money, which it can't "run out of." He doesn't specifically mention "revenue sharing" with the states to fund help for low-income citizens, but he and other MMT writers recommend it elsewhere.

In one of my earlier diaries ( http://www.dailykos.com/... ) I said of Mosler:

Mosler, aware of the threat of further layoffs at the state level, also proposes that the federal government grant state governments revenue at the rate of $500 per capita.
              The more people who are aware of MMT the better, and the more likely its truths and proposals will be actualized.

For the first time in human history, we possess both the means for destroying all life on Earth or realizing a paradise on the planet--Michio Kaku.

by psyched on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:53:31 PM PDT

•  it's an evolving site, which is good (2+ / 0-)
                FloridaSNMOM, psyched

once upon a time its roof had room for black sheep.

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 12:25:07 PM PDT