View Diary: Saturday Night Loser's Club, Vol. CCCLXXII: 'Paper or Plastic?' Edition (35 comments)

•  Totally OT, but (4+ / 0-)
    Nova Land, cfk, Youffraita, shari

I was half expecting another Met Opera simulcast topic tonight.
    Did any go to it?  What did you think?  I had to leave after the first act because I was ill.

Help me out with baroque opera....

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:28:18 PM PDT

•  I saw the whole HD. Very long. Hey--it's Handel. (4+ / 0-)
      Youffraita, Radiowalla, shari, suka

The singers were game for a heck of a lot of physical activity whilst singing extremely difficult music. I did s close my eyes once in awhile. Started at 9 am PDT.

•  I thought the staging was superb. (3+ / 0-)
        shari, suka, Youffraita

It was a very visually elegant opera.  I loved some of the singing, particularly of Cornelia and Sextus.  Dessaye is always a joy to behold.

However....I hated the contra tenor role of Caesar.  So disorienting in this day and age to hear a man trilling away.  I think in Handel's time, this role would have been sung by a castrati.  Admittedly, I don't know much about baroque opera.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 06:44:15 AM PDT

•  in Handel's time, that would have been..... (0+ / 0-)

.....the case, yes, about a castrato singing the role of Cesare.  Later, of course, mezzos and contraltos took on those parts after the days of castrati had passed (thank dog for that).  But if you're not used to a countertenor, it can be disconcerting at first.  In some fairness to OTSL, over the years, featuring countertenors seems to be no big deal.

But with baroque opera, for me, the sheer repetition of the trills and ornamentation get at me.  I kind of want the action, such as it is, to get on with it, even if opera is never really about the plot.

"It's only in books that the officers of the detective force are superior to the weakness of making a mistake." (Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone)

by chingchongchinaman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 07:01:03 PM PDT

•  so presumably it was Natalie D. in the role.... (0+ / 0-)

.....of Cleopatra, rather than Danielle de Niese stepping in to "save the day".  More long shots than usual, perhaps, to capture the Bollywood-isms?

by chingchongchinaman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 06:51:35 PM PDT

•  I love that opera but must admit I've only (2+ / 0-)
      Youffraita, chingchongchinaman

seen one version, the Glyndebourne one with Sara Connolly as Cesare and Danielle De Niese as Cleopatra. It is opera meets bollywood. I use it as a DVD exercise tape while I ride my bike.

Gorgeous music, great comedy, perfect Baroque.

Wish I'd known about the Dessay showing tonight. It is very long and I usually break it into two separate days of viewing.

•  there's normally an encore presentation, but.... (1+ / 0-)
        suka

......I'm not sure of the date, as I can't find it on the Met's site just now.  Eventually, though, a cleaned up version will make its way to TV, and eventually DVD.

by chingchongchinaman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 07:09:31 PM PDT

•  I did mention that a while back, but..... (0+ / 0-)

.....it would have been a long shot for someone to take it, I'll admit.  I actually saw this Giulio Cesare at Lyric Opera of Chicago several years back, with Emmanuelle Haim as conductor from the harpsichord, the first female conductor ever at Lyric.  Her energy at the keyboard didn't make the opera seem shorter ;) .

by chingchongchinaman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 06:46:26 PM PDT