View Diary: An American war in Syria? NO! (123 comments)

•  The president can not win. If he "acts" he'll he (15+ / 0-)

called a war criminal by some. If he doesn't send a million troops to Syria, then "he is letting Syrian women and children die". It's a tough call but I say no more sending troops to every country in conflict. McCain should just go away already.

•  He's got an out, if he wants it. (3+ / 0-)
      commonmass, MKinTN, hester

The most effective opposition in Syria is affiliated with Al Qaeda.

•  Seeing What Is Happening In Syria (7+ / 0-)

is horrifying. But generally speaking my family are the folks that go fight our wars. I have not served myself, but many family members did. We're are kind of "tired."

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 06:12:49 AM PDT

•  locally the military is the option for those (7+ / 0-)

not attending college or needing funds to attend college or needing a weekend job.  It has been traditional for locals to either farm or go into retail or the trades or the military or a mixture of the choices.  Therefore we are impacted more than ordinary communities when there is a deployment with its concomitant MIAs, KIAs and WIAs.  There is no local desire to intervene in Syria as most of these guys have seen ten tours or more in our 21st Century wars

•  My Family Members Are College Educated (2+ / 0-)
          Smoh, joanneleon

and with some financial means. We tend to differ to "service." Something I don't totally understand, cause I have not served myself, but I kind of understand as a military brat.

Why I have zero respect for chickenhawks. You want to promote war then you better pick up a gun and go fight!

Heck I got an email from my Uncle the other day. He is in Qatar. Flies F-16s. Fourth deployment, National Guard. These deployments destroyed his married. But as he jokes a deployment to Qatar isn't bad :).

It is very hard for me to even type the above. Painful.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 06:44:27 AM PDT

•  sorry for your pain but marriages are usually (2+ / 0-)
            webranding, nchristine

the first casualty of any unit deployment for multiple reasons.  You have to remember the chasm between enlisted men and officers (though there is OCS); at least in the past, there was a gap between the Academy grads and the ROTC folks.  Then there were the enlisted men.  Around here Sgt is usually as high as things go, as many people also follow a trajectory where they may enter active service for four years and then opt out for the Reserves or NG.

My uncle enlisted AAF at 16 and worked his way through the ranks to SGt, pulled his 20 and retired.  He then went into Reserves and also used his service to get preference for a fed job.  He worked that for 10 years and retired and used his preference to snag a state job he worked for 10 years and retired.  Since he was in military intelligence, he then hooked up with local banks as their security consultant for the rest of his years.

I remember visiting and seeing all the pension envelopes on his coffee table.  Ironically, he never saw combat in all those years in the Reserves and active duty.

(then 2 other uncles went into the Navy and had several ships shot out from under them in the Pacific and Atlantic)

•  Did you lose any family members? (0+ / 0-)

In Libya?

Touch all that arises with a spirit of compassion

by Mindful Nature on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 06:52:05 AM PDT

•  Horrifying what BOTH sides are doing. nt (0+ / 0-)

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 06:58:57 AM PDT

•  Fuck the neocons. I know he will 'not win' (6+ / 0-)
      catilinus, fou, Smoh, artmartin, JohnnySacks, AoT

with some, but I'm struggling to find any of that 'some' that I give a shit about. NO WAR IN SYRIA. NO MILITARY AID. NO AIR STRIKES.

And this is coming from someone who generally supports the use of drones in western Pakistan and Yemen.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 06:58:34 AM PDT

•  It's not about him "winning" (4+ / 0-)
      artmartin, joanneleon, SuWho, protectspice

in the public opinion arena. It's about the interests of the U.S. Any war we're involved with in the ME will quickly spread. It would be a disaster with unimaginably dreadful consequences for folks there and here .

Most truths are so naked that people feel sorry for them and cover them up, at least a little bit. --Edward R. Murrow

by chuckvw on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 07:27:26 AM PDT

•  I've even seen some people (0+ / 0-)

who say that Obama has to get into this to show that he's a Manly Man who says what he means and means what he says.  Much the same reason that LBJ gave for escalating in Vietnam.

How did that work out again?

You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment.-- Francis Urqhart