View Diary: Fundies, I get it, I really do, but grow up (227 comments)

•  It's hard not to bash (75+ / 0-)

because I've just about had it with our society tolerating the indecency, rudeness and psychosis of these zealots. What in the hell gives these people the right to force their beliefs on others? And why in the hell do we still put up with it?

But you may not, may NOT, hold an audience captive to force your message on them.

When are they going to be stopped? Seriously, I'm sick of it. They don't honor my religious freedom or yours or anyone else's, unless you agree with them. NO MORE. I'm done granted respect and tolerance where none is warranted.

"The “Left” is NOT divided on the need to oppose austerity and the Great Betrayal. The Third Way is not left or center or even right. It is Wall Street on the Potomac."--Bill Black

by lunachickie on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 05:32:40 PM PDT

•  Welcome to the club! (15+ / 0-)

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 11:14:39 PM PDT

•  Totally with you on this ... (11+ / 0-)

I don't care what someone believes but that doesn't mean they get to mandate it for everyone else.

I'm a woo-woo chick and quite out there about it.  I still get comments on my FB page from (the very few) evangelicals I know about how I'm bringing people to sin and hell and yada yada yada.  You know what? Free will is a good thing. If what I share doesn't ring true for someone, they don't have to believe it.  Or follow it. Or live their life by it. YEY for that!

But what gives them the right (and don't even go into bible BS with me) to claim their path is THE ONLY WAY.  That's just crap.  If they want to believe it, fine. I don't. And no amount of preaching will ever convince me otherwise.

(This is one of my soapboxes, along with equal rights for marriage. Who are they to claim their way is the only way it should be? Fuck off with that shit, I say. (I know, not very love-and-light of me, is it??)

Sheesh!

I'm sick of it, too.

"The force is really rather strong with you, Luke" - Eddie Izzard (I miss you, La 3/5/06)

by Bexley Lane on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:41:10 AM PDT

•  What is "bashing" anyway? (4+ / 0-)

Someone's religious choice is no more special than their choice of Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi.

It's not something their genetics forced upon them, it's something they have completely free choice concerning, just like a person has a choice of whether to be a Republican or not.

I hold the people I know who are Republican accountable for their shitty choice.

Why would it be "bashing" or (believe it or not I've heard it described as such around here) "bigotry" to hold the people I know who are Baptist or Catholic accountable for their shitty choice?

Yes, I know people like to pretend that their choice of Sunday Morning Social Clubs is somehow more special than their choice of political parties or their choice of preferred diet soda, but it isn't.

And no matter how much they pretend it is, it still just isn't.

And it never will be.

Who the hell wants to be part of a political movement that has as its most obvious feature politically correct prune lipped moral scolds and incessant guilt trips about how much we all suck?

by Rick Aucoin on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 11:20:41 AM PDT

•  When are they going to be stopped? (1+ / 0-)
      NonnyO

When the rest of the world (the non-fundies) asks Jesus and the group he belongs to to come forward.  Then all humanity will get the teachings directly and all those who live to contort - twist the teachings and then use them as a billy club over others will crawl back to the rock they have been living under.

•  At one time I was silent... (2+ / 0-)
      417els, doinaheckuvanutjob

"Everyone has a right to their religion" - and my parents taught that a nice, polite person does not discuss religion outside the home or outside of one's own church.

THEN.... reichwingnuts started preaching religion in politics, appearing on Sunday morning political shows, and they have influenced lawmakers to write laws only a small (religious) segment of the population believes..., and they did so with all the grace and delicacy of a pedophile priest shoving his dick down an altar boy's throat, then turning him around and shoving his dick in the altar boy's ass.

AND no lawmakers or police officers arrested the actual pedophilic priests either most of the time or, taking it on faith because out-of-state jurisdictions were involved, they allowed the churches to say "everything's gonna be okay because we sent him off to retreat where he's getting treatment."  Do they think the rest of us can't read and don't already know there is NO "cure" for pedophiles, just as there's no "cure" for psychopaths (people born without a conscience)...?

To the Reichwingnuts who love their various (Xian) religions so much:  STOP shoving your brand of religion down everyone's throat!!!  You claim there is a 'war against religion,' but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy because you first shoved your brand of religion down our throats and have tried (and somewhat succeeded already) in interfering with civil & secular law by getting your wacky ideas codified into the legal system.  That is morally and ethically brutish and wrong on a number of levels, especially since most of that involves misogynistic laws.

There's also no "cure" for those who are so fanatically religious that they bash everyone over the head with their religious belief like a beating (metaphorically or in reality) is going to pound religion into people.  They desperately need psychological help to de-cultify their obsessive control-freak thinking processes, but they'll never willingly go get real help to get off the hamster wheel rote thinking cycles to see there are other options and religious belief is not necessary to be a moral and ethical person.

The only solution is to go back to total separation of church and state - AND force the reichwingnuts to abide by that!!!

That also includes eliminating the executive branch's 'office of faith-based initiatives' which has given a foot in the door to government-dictated religion.  It was created by one of the first executive orders Dumbya signed the day he took the oath of office in his first appointed term, and it could be disbanded with a countering executive order, I should think (one would think a con law prof would go back to separating church and state, wouldn't one?), or congress could check their little pocket-book versions of the constitution and understand that they should eliminate and de-fund the office.  Social services does NOT need to be privatized with government money and come with a built-in religious theme.

I have no quarrel with those who wish to give money to religious institutions to do something with those funds (hopefully feed the poor, run charities, etc. - IIRC, those funds are tax-deductible, aren't they?), but our tax dollars do NOT need to fund those same organizations or pay the salaries of those who run those organizations.

So, when I'd had enough of people metaphorically whacking me over the head with their personal religious beliefs, that was the end of my respectful silence about their fanaticism.  Now I fight back and tell them to f-off - politely at first to see if they have enough sense to respectfully back off, and if they persist in trying to metaphorically abuse me by whacking me over the head with their religious dogma, then I get mouthy and profane in telling those cretins to STFU.

The First Amendment gives us freedom OF religion, but it also grants us freedom FROM religion.

When I say separation of church and state, I mean total separation of church and state.

by NonnyO on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 03:00:31 PM PDT

•  From their side, the way they see it, the world (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

went to hell in a hand basket when they were content to separate church and state, try to convert folks to Jesus, and avoided the dirty business of the worldly politics and all other of Ceaser's institutions. So they see it as their mission to have to get into everything and force things to be their way, so the world will be more approved by Daddy Yahweh. Some of their people are disillusioned with all the dirtiness of having to do this ugly mission, but not enough of them are yet.

•  :-) I see it as control-freaks gone wild (1+ / 0-)
          doinaheckuvanutjob

They can have their religious views; I don't give a flying fig if they worship their own big toe..., but I don't see any good reason for them to whack me over the head with their beliefs or start yelling at me and telling me I have to believe their way, or worship their big toe with them.

I have my own thoughts on the matter of religion, tyvm, and I don't have any deep-seated need to talk about them or why I have them.  It's a waste of my time because invariably someone will want to argue about what took me 25/30 years of reading and study to come to conclusions about.

I don't want to argue, nor try to convert anyone to my way of thinking.  I just want them to STFU and leave me alone.  I really don't care how they see the world or why they believe as they do.  It's none of my business and I don't want to walk a mile in their shoes to try to think like them.

Their "side" is irrelevant to me because it's based on belief in an invisible being, and they try to back up their "beliefs" with controlling other people or wanting legislators to make laws based on their opinions of the beliefs they have in this invisible being so they can then control other people via force of law because their brainwashing efforts have failed to gain converts.

Essentially I agree with Mark Twain.

Mark Twain Never Argue with Stupid People

by NonnyO on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 03:44:26 AM PDT

•  I agree completely. These people, and their non (1+ / 0-)
            NonnyO

religious fanatical extreme cohorts in the GOP simply need to be defeated and crushed. There are a few who are reachable, but that's very rare, and I have no patience for trying to for trying to open their minds that are so closed. But I do like to understand how they function, I think it's important to understand that, it helps in trying to defeat them as well.

•  Intoxicated with their own authoratarianism. (0+ / 0-)

Required rallies are CREEPY. We had required attendance at football/basketball team school rallies. Not allowed to leave. Those rallies creeped me out, with all the fake feelings, and loud mass noise. Once I figured out they weren't taking roll at the rallies, I bolted out the side doors before they started (once you were inside, they didn't let you leave, they guarded the doors) to beautiful freedom and an earlier end to the school day.

This is similar, only add religion to it, which gives these old boy network neoChristianist neofascistodimwits more intoxication.