View Diary: Another bird flu to watch for... H7N9 in China (178 comments)

•  The issue is what else the vaccine could do. (3+ / 0-)
    jrooth, kurious, OllieGarkey

If I just felt crappy, that would be one thing and not unexpected since the vaccination stimulates your immune system.  (Much of the symptoms of infection is from your immune system kicking in, not from the infection per se.)  But the vertigo?  Why would my otoliths get wacked out of place.  As I mentioned above in another comment, I've had the flu before and never had vertigo.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

by accumbens on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 07:20:35 AM PDT

•  Inflammation. (0+ / 0-)

Inflammation is one of the things that happens when you get sick. You had an immune reaction which led to inflammation of your inner ear.

That gave you vertigo. It's a standard immune reaction, and it happens in ear infections all the time. Inner ear infections are almost always viral.

And that's what happened with your immune system. It thought that you had a viral ear infection.

Here's a whole page on labyrinthitis and vestibular neuritis, infection of the inner ear.

You'll note that one of the symptoms is Vertigo.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t'Saoghail. (The truth against the world.) Is treasa tuath na tighearna. (The common people are mightier than the lords.)

by OllieGarkey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 07:41:39 AM PDT

•  Also, did you try taking something like ibuprofin (0+ / 0-)

or acetaminophen?

An NSAID might have helped with the vertigo, especially if you took a higher dose.

by OllieGarkey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 07:44:41 AM PDT

•  I developed an allergy to NSAIDs in my 50s. (2+ / 0-)
          OllieGarkey, tb mare

After a lifetime of taking aspirin I started getting angioedema (lips, eyelids swelling) in response to it and ibuprofen.  So, no, I couldn't take an anti-inflammatory.

by accumbens on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 07:48:47 AM PDT

•  Okay, you have a unique immune system. (4+ / 0-)

If you're the kind of person that develops these kinds of drug allergies and has other issues, then you are absolutely correct to be wary about vaccines because of your own medical history.

by OllieGarkey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 07:54:05 AM PDT

•  At the risk of putting my medical history online, (3+ / 0-)
              OllieGarkey, kurious, tb mare

I should also say I have psoriasis - an autoimmue disease - which I developed in my 50s.  Although it's pretty well under control, I've wondered whether my response to the flu shot wasn't somehow the result of adding an acute immune response on top of a chronically activated immune system.  A perfect cytokine storm.

by accumbens on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 08:09:51 AM PDT

•  Yeah, people with autoimmune stuff have reactions (1+ / 0-)
                accumbens

to vaccines sometimes. I don't know about psoriasis, I'm not a doctor, but I know that with AIDS vaccines are a no no.

It's a possibility and you should definitely talk to someone who knows the medicine way better than an amateur like me.

by OllieGarkey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 08:18:13 AM PDT

•  A nurse I worked with couldn't get small pox... (2+ / 0-)
                OllieGarkey, accumbens

vaccine (at the time healthcare workers were being urged to get that vaccine) because she had psoriasis.

•  Interesting (0+ / 0-)

My wife developed a similar allergy at around the same age. The only thing she can take is Tylenol. Anything else triggers a massive outbreak of hives.

•  Yes, that's what I figured too, and since it's (3+ / 0-)
        OllieGarkey, jrooth, kurious

not a typical response, I'm concerned what other surprises my immune system might have for me.

by accumbens on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 07:50:35 AM PDT