View Diary: Elizabeth Colbert Busch Versus Mark Sanford Debate Live Blog (121 comments)

•  The next question is about the ... (9+ / 0-)

... Port of Charleston, as that is a big seller in this district (SC-01 runs South from North Myrtle Beach down to Charleston and even below that a little). ECB notes that Sanford voted against dredging the port, and he voted against the new bridge. (Charlestinians have to love that new bridge, it is beautiful).

Sanford points out that ECB donated $500.00 to his campaign after he left Congress. He gets wild applause for that.

I would tip you, but the man took away my tips.

by Tortmaster on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 04:18:23 PM PDT

•  The old bridge was scary as hell. (Actually, it (5+ / 0-)
      davehouck, science nerd, Lujane, elwior, Matt Z

was two bridges, one older and more narrow than the other. Scary-looking, scary to drive on.)

I'm sure they love the new bridge.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 06:01:08 PM PDT

•  Old bridge (4+ / 0-)
      Lujane, elwior, Creosote, poco

Was Great in high school, we would bounce from one rail to another on some nights, depending on what we had imbibed earlier. Went skiing down one of them in freak storm in the 70's. new bridge is top notch with great white lines that really sparkle...Charleston is funny, some of the most bigoted people in the country (I have travelled all over) and they absolutely are in the "right" (hubris, hypocrisy anyone?)about all they do because they go to church a few times a month, belong to BBB and hunting clubs, yacht clubs-these institutions and the fact they are members shows how much better they are than everyone else. All the bad luck everyone else is having is there own damn fault and they can't be expected to help. But it's ok to keep kilos of cocaine with them for personal stash...Thomas...is that you up late again? IOKIYAR is our State Motto I believe.

OM

•  I think of Charleston as a very proper but (3+ / 0-)
        elwior, onionjim, poco

quirky Southern lady and New Orleans as her naughty, sexy, bad-girl sister.

But the two cities are so different from most of the US. It takes that kind of insular arrogance to keep the differences going so strongly and for so long, I think.

And the Charleston accent is really bizarre. You can hear the old British influence, mellowed out by the Southern-ness in the old-money families that have been there forever.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 09:58:07 PM PDT

•  Heh (0+ / 0-)

Love your description of those blue-haired drawling conservatives from the old world. Regan and Thatcher cheerleaders. And to call New Orleans a sexy bad girl is delicious.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 04:04:49 AM PDT

•  Bizarre? (0+ / 0-)

I think you meant to say "charming." ;)

Being the single intellectual in a village of 1,100 souls ain't much fun, especially when 1,099 of those don't think you're all that smart.--Lucy Marsden

by Miniaussiefan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 05:13:16 AM PDT

•  While riding the Fort Sumter ... (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

... ferry, I saw at least 100, maybe 200 sailboats in various regattas (?) in the harbor. Pretty affluent stuff.

My sister talked about that old bridge with an expression of fear on her face. Old Mark Sanford voted against the new one. I think that vote will haunt him.

I would tip you, but the man took away my tips.

by Tortmaster on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 10:19:30 PM PDT

•  Still have nightmares about that bridge (1+ / 0-)
      elwior

3,500 miles and 27 years away.