View Diary: The sad irony of Black America's biblical justification for anti-marriage-equality stance (45 comments)

•  I have a feeling (1+ / 0-)
    CatM

that either you're a Repub troll or you have some race issues.  Just a few days ago I saw you in a thread writing about how blacks need to stop playing on "white guilt trip", that women and minorities "don't face any real obstacles", and that Obama was a "Republican in black face".  I let it slide at the time, but at this point it's clear this is a pattern of behavior from you.

“Th’ noise ye hear is not th’ first gun iv a revolution. It’s on’y th’ people iv the United States batin’ a carpet.” - Mr. Dooley

by puakev on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 08:07:36 AM PDT

•  i'm glad (0+ / 0-)

that you posted the links to the comments so people can clearly see that you're lying :)

the only thing you accurately quoted was within "quotation marks", the rest is your fantasy about the context of those comments.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 08:20:31 AM PDT

•  Calling the president... (1+ / 0-)
        puakev

a Republican in black face does not make you look good, even in context.

We Won't Let Republicans Replace Medicare with GOP Vouchercare!

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 10:08:42 AM PDT

•  it's how i feel (0+ / 0-)

and it's not racist to acknowledge a quote by Cornel West that I found to be powerful and very REAL, so don't try and paint me out to be a bigot.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:08:25 AM PDT

•  Yeah because you are such a follower of Dr West (0+ / 0-)

I doubt he would agree with you that minorities no longer face any obstacles.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:29:00 AM PDT

•  And the game of telephone begins (0+ / 0-)

That's not what I wrote. I said, in the context of the old-school obstacles post-WWII era, that minorities and women aren't facing real obstacles like back then, they're of a different nature and it doesn't matter WHAT you are, you can gain wealth and a pass into the club of the elites.

But you're not interested in a discussion or a debate, you're interested in labelling this diary and myself as inappropriate and avoiding the points put forth.

And I guarantee you that I've read more of Dr. West's work than you have.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:43:29 AM PDT

•  It was exactly what you wrote (0+ / 0-)

It was a direct quote that you offered in your complaint about white male persecution, and you defended that position in this very thread, claiming Sandra Fluke was proof women no longer face these hardships. I read what you wrote there and here, and I did offer quite lengthy debate or discussion on what is wrong with your diary's premise, for which you failed to provide a reasonable counterargument (what you offered was a knee-jerk defense, not a counterargument). You have yet to explain who represents "black America" or how black America can hold the position you claim when so many prominent black Americans have come out in support of LGBT equality. You have yet to explain why, if the voices of a few blacks represent black America, the voices of conservative homophobic whites do not equally represent white America.

I did discuss and debate. You are the one who hasn't, probably because it is hard to defend such a losing, wrongheaded argument as the ones you have been making.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:53:16 AM PDT

•  Amusing (0+ / 0-)

BLACK PEOPLE REPRESENT BLACK AMERICA, AS EVIDENCED BY THE ESPN ANALYST, THE POLLS I CITED, AND THE PEOPLE ON TWITTER I WAS REFERENCING.

Try re-reading the diary and visiting the links and toning down your faux-outrage.

I'll reiterate, my comment was in response to someone talking about how "material possessions don't matter" and that "women and minorities with money still face xyz", and I was explaining that money gets you into the club, regardless of gender or race, and in that sense they don't face the obstacles of back when.

That DOES NOT MEAN THAT ALL WOMEN AND MINORITIES HAVE ZERO OBSTACLES.

And the fact you seriously try and libel my character by saying i'm like Anton Scalia and writing that because I am standing up for working Americans of all types i'm somehow contradicting myself? You're totally outrageous and behaving hysterically instead of understanding the bigger discussion.  It's a symptom of those who prefer the machine-gun modern cable TV media and demand to have sensationalism and something seemingly inappropriate to point out. Broaden your horizons, it will do wonders for repairing your character flaws.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:58:52 AM PDT

•  That isn't what you wrote (0+ / 0-)

You said--and I am quoting--"Women, minorities (religious, ethnic), they don't face any real obstacles these days." You did not say "compared to way back when..."

You said they now get preferential treatment in schools and in the hiring process (what a joke).

You also said, "And while you're crying about marriage equality or some racial-ethnic profiling, the middle class has been dismantled."

And you expect anyone to believe that you wrote this diary because you are so concerned about marriage equality? I will not go as far as to accuse you of bring a troll (though it has crossed my mind), but I will say you are coming across as pretty ignorant. Note how few people cared to recommend your comment or your diary. That should give you pause to reflect on the fact that maybe, just maybe, you are wrong.

It is more than clear you did not post this diary to open up a reasoned discussion or to consider what others might have to say. I won't hypothesize what your motives were other than to say they clearly did not sprout from a desire to lend clarity to a complex issue or help anyone achieve a deeper level of understanding (which would be hard with such shallow thoughts).

I truly hope you are a young person because then there may be some hope that you will wake up one day and realize how you are one of the last people who should be lecturing anyone about the need to broaden their horizons or to educate themselves. My writing speaks for itself, just as yours does, and my initial response to your diary was better received than your diary (which most Kossacks likely avoided due to the incendiary trollish title, but I being an Aspie could not resist).

You should be grateful no one gave your diary the donuts it likely deserved. Your argument is so unoriginal, it could have been cut and pasted from Free Republic. It is hardly the stuff one expects from such a great enlightened mind as the one you imagine you have. I suggest you expand your horizons and stop trotting out quotes from black people as though it somehow gives your pointless arguments credibility--at least not until you learn a lot more about black America and how to recognize that it isn't actually a monolithic entity save for your black friend Morgan Freeman.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:23:36 PM PDT

•  You're pathetic. (0+ / 0-)

It's abundantly clear you didn't read my diary, you didn't read the thread of the discussion my comment was a reply to.

You're taking phrases out of context to serve your agenda.

I grew up in low-class apartment complexes and I'm well acquainted with black America. and if you're so ignorant that you don't even want to address the issue as it is: blacks being disproportionately against gay marriage from their political affiliation (a trend that has changed RAPIDLY, as shown in the links I've provided).

It's actually against the rules to respond to diaries that you only read the title of and want to create a flamewar, which I won't speculate, but clearly you're here to harass a guy writing about an issue within black America.

You just run around like a right-wing dingbat spewing accusations without appreciating any nuance or more complex discussion.

You still have yet to make any point, except that you have dug out some other comment from a different diary that was in a larger discussion about issues in America (which are economic, not racial/gender profiling or issues -- and not to say there are NO obstacles for ANY minorities or women -- utter stupidity).

It's easier for you to turn the issue into some comment I made in another diary, because you're unable to intellectually grasp the argument in the diary since you didn't even read it, you had a knee-jerk reaction to anyone daring to write about a topic about black America. GOD FORBID. Cry me a river, deal with it, and maybe if your hysteria settles you can take the time to do the proper thing and actually read the content and formulate a critique that doesn't involve out-of-context quotes from a completely different comment in a completely different diary.

You've got serious race issues. This is the 21st century, we have an oligarchy to fight, stop dividing the country on racial and gender lines, it's offensive to the working and (former) middle class people who have been marginalized REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE HELL THEY LOOK LIKE OR WHERE THEY COME FROM.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:35:49 PM PDT

•  I have race issues? (0+ / 0-)

First, I read your diary. Second, I responded in full. Third, you are the one with obvious race issues, as I and others have made clear.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 05:37:27 PM PDT

•  lol (0+ / 0-)

"I and others"

you mean you and some other idiot who read the title and ran straight to the comment section?

You:

1) twisted a comment from an irrelevant diary referenced by an equally ignorant reader,

2) see the world through a 1970's area lense where you divide the country by race and gender groups, when the bigger issue in the 21st century is class. you're too old to understand the current issues and the relevance.

3) You and one person have accused me of that crap. That's not "you and others" it's YOU AND ONE OTHER GUY.

But yea youre a pretty obvious case there -- making up things about what I said, over-stating yourself by creating an imaginary plurality of support. You're just a dishonest individual and that shows in the fact that you've been unable to formulate a coherent argument and focus instead on faux-outrage and bullshit sensationalism (again, you're a victim of the cable news media age, and the prescription is you need to read more books and not obsess over DailyKos' others members who are absolutely obsessed with framing issues that put minorities and women in the same group fighting evil white men).

Again, meanwhile I'll be fighting for the issues of our day that actually matter through the new lense.

Oh wait, that's right, you think I think all women and minorities face zero obstacles. So smart!

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 07:24:31 PM PDT

•  Wow thanks for the links (1+ / 0-)
      puakev

That explains this diary. And despite the diarist claiming the context exonerates him, it really, really does not. Women and minorities no longer face any real obstacles? Wow. I wonder when was the last time he was a woman or a minority. I guess he missed the whole Sandra Fluke thing or the Stop and Frisk posts or posts about unemployment rates among black and Hispanic people or the recent diary on how black people had to endure much greater hurdles to vote in 2012 or any diary on incarceration among black men or the diary about how school safety officers are far more likely to charge black students with crimes or how schools in Oregon have disproportionately suspended black students for similar infractions to white students or how Hispanic kids born in the U.S. and some Hispanic American adults are being deported unjustly (and how Tea Party types call them anchor babies and want to deprive them of citizenship) or how Florida legislators are trying to keep Latinos from voting by not allowing interpreters in polling booths.

As for women, I guess he missed all the attacks on our reproductive rights and on the rape victims being blamed for getting raped. Or pay inequality between men and women. Yeah, women and minorities face no obstacles anymore...

What a dumb thing to say.

We Won't Let Republicans Replace Medicare with GOP Vouchercare!

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 10:19:40 AM PDT

•  i guess (0+ / 0-)

you missed that the vast majority of the public as ostracizing the people (including Limbaugh losing tons of advertising) on the wrong side of the Sandra Fluke issue (rightfully so, and indicative of how little a problem this kind of bigotry is these days). the fact that a young woman was allowed to go out and testify about such a topic and then have her haters get totally called out by the vast majority of the public, completely negates your point that it's MAJOR HARDSHIP FOR WOMEN.

and the context of my comments referenced by that guy, since you obviously didn't view the links, was about immigration and the jobs crisis in the US and people lazily blaming it on "whining white guys" and overplaying the issues facing women and minorities currently.  The point is MORE women are in universities, the pay inequality issue has a lot to do with nuance that is avoided in a lot of the press, and the barriers these days are minute compared to when this was an activist-driven issue.

but yea the more you imply that i'm a sexist racist, the less you have to deal with the points put forth in this diary.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:06:20 AM PDT

•  Not a hardship? (0+ / 0-)

It is not a hardship to have people fighting to deprive you of access to medically necessary medication because you are a woman? It is not a hardship to be called a slut to millions? Martin Luther King Jr was a hero who won a lot of respect and praise but that does not mean he never endured any hardship. People supported her after the hardship. And I cited many cases, not just one. I don't need to imply that you are a sexist racist. You manage to do that pretty well all by yourself.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:26:12 AM PDT

•  uh (0+ / 0-)

when the hell did i say MLK didn't endure hardship?

obviously you didn't read the comment thread of where my comment was posted.

Meanwhile I'll be sticking up for working Americans of any ethnicity/race or gender. Stick to fighting old battles that have already been won, not all of us can adapt to changing issues.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:33:50 AM PDT

•  You have a problem with reading comprehension (0+ / 0-)

Which explains why you cannot even understand the meaning of the things you wrote. Why are you sticking up for people of any race/gender if all those battles have been won and there are no obstacles anymore for women or minorities, as you claim? Who are the people facing the obstacles? If you take away women and you take away minorities, that only leaves one group: white men.

You really need to read more that gets posted at the site and pay more attention to the news if you honestly think women and minorities have no more obstacles. No true progressive, liberal, or democrat would ever believe such a ridiculous assertion. Some might believe things have gotten better, but the fact that we have yet to pass a pay equality act or that we are relitigating the Voting Rights Act,makes it pretty clear democrats recognizes there are still obstacles. Clearly, you stand with Antonin Scalia on this one.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:46:39 AM PDT

•  stop your lying (0+ / 0-)

just because you SAY i said there are NO obstacles facing women and minorities, doesn't mean that i wrote it.

put down your strawman, you're completely out of control.

I'm hesitant to even address such blatant trolling, but you need to calm down and read the context of the comment and stop lying, thanks.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:52:11 AM PDT

•  You did say it. (0+ / 0-)

I am a long time member of Daily Kos in good standing, and no one would ever accuse me of being a troll. The same cannot be said for you, who was earlier accused of being a troll in this very diary.

Nor am I a liar. I went to the link provided, I read what you wrote, and those were your exact words, as another diarist here has reproduced. I also read the context in which you wrote them and it does not match the backpedaling you are now seeking to do in distancing yourself from some pretty wrongheaded remarks.

You absolutely did make that statement in a comment in which you complained about white males being needlessly bashed. You are the one who is not being truthful.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:58:37 AM PDT

•  you are a liar (0+ / 0-)

you've twisted my comment to make it look like i've said ALL WOMEN AND MINORITIES FACE NO OBSTACLES, which is so unbelievably stupid I don't even know where to begin with you.

you're not being an honest participant in this at all.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:00:56 PM PDT

•  and the entire comment (0+ / 0-)

thread as I linked it (the link you followed probably didn't even show the comment I was replying to:READ THE ENTIRE THING)

was all about how we face issues that aren't divided along WOMEN/MINORITIES/etc -- those fights are mostly over, and they don't face the same obstacles.

THE WHOLE POINT WAS THAT THE PROBLEMS WE FACE ARE AGAINST CLASSES, REGARDLESS OF RACE.

you take some tiny segment of a comment within a deep multi-level thread of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DIARY and now you've hijacked this entry and forced me to be on the defense from your disgusting attacks.

the fact I've had to link to this and explain this to you so blatantly as if you're a child makes me question whether you're really NOT a troll, but the GALL of you to repeatedly accuse me of something so wildly off-base has made me feel obligated to clear it here in the comments to fend off your libel.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:06:28 PM PDT

•  Who cares? (0+ / 0-)

Nobody is reading your dead racist diary anyway. I did not bring the quote or link to this thread, and I read your comment in full. To be libel, it would have to be untrue. You did say what I and another said you did. My interpretation of those words would not be subject to libel charges, but go ahead and pursue a claim if you really think you have a case. Scalia might rule for you.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:28:45 PM PDT

•  LOL (0+ / 0-)

You're really a disgusting cretin, you know that? Shameful individual. The pity i have for you outweighs the frustration with your inability to understand your warped worldview.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:41:45 PM PDT