View Diary: President Obama news conference (244 comments)

•  Yes, no (if self-inflicted), no. Why did you (0+ / 0-)

answer my question with a question?

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 09:13:59 AM PDT

•  Why do you think? (1+ / 0-)
      Lady Libertine

err,sorry,couldn't resist.
      The legalese posturing in your first comment,struck me as a shallow obfuscation too far. Gitmo is a national disgrace. (& I would say a symptom of something worse,but I digress) From his comments,it seems the POTUS gets that. I would hope that his supporters do as well.

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" ~~ Neil Gaiman

by tardis10 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 09:26:11 AM PDT

•  let's go with "old age" (1+ / 0-)
      tardis10

what are your thoughts on this, GoGo? you said "no" we are not "liable" if a man dies of old age in G'mo, am I correct?

what if its a man who has never been charged with a crime (much less tried & convicted of one), & has been cleared for release years ago, but any transfers are indefinitely "frozen", so there he remains. Indefinitely.

what if he suicides by hunger strike instead of just languishing there for another 20 or 30 or 50 years until he dies of old age because that is the only choice he has available to him.

Is that okay with you? Should we allow that to happen?

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 09:30:07 AM PDT

•  Sorry but I don't see how this is a sensical q. (0+ / 0-)

The 'wrong' is that he's imprisoned while not guilty, not whether or not he happens to die of natural causes whilst in there.

As for your other question, I cannot force someone to take care of themselves, and I do not think that others are responsible for a conscious choice of self-harm. How could you possibly quantify cause & effect in that case? What legal test could you possibly apply to prove whether or not someone hurt themselves because of you or not? If a woman cheated on me and broke my heart, and I decided I had nothing to live for and starved myself to death, is she liable?

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 09:56:48 AM PDT

•  hmmmm I think (0+ / 0-)

we are talking past each other here. I apologize I can't elaborate b/c I'm distracted and need to get back to work!

Some further reading for you ...

NYT: The Detainees' Dilemma (excellent piece and not terribly long)

and

Some force-fed captives are cleared for release from Guantánamo by Carol Rosenberg, APril 26 2013

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 10:07:38 AM PDT

•  oh sorry, one more (0+ / 0-)

AMA opposes forced feedings at Guantánamo

The American Medical Association has written a letter to the Pentagon stating that “force feeding of detainees violates core ethical values of the medical profession.”

The Miami Herald on Tuesday obtained a copy of the April 25 letter to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel from Dr. Jeremy Lazarus, the AMA president. The Pentagon had no immediate response on whether Hagel had read it, or had a deputy reply.

In the letter Lazarus advised Hagel that the AMA opposes force-feeding a detainee who is competent to decide for himself whether he wants to eat.

“Every competent patient has the right to refuse medical intervention, including life-sustaining interventions,” Lazarus said, adding that the AMA took the same position on force-feeding Guantánamo prisoners in 2009 and 2005.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 10:20:21 AM PDT

•  And another,GoGo. (1+ / 0-)
            Lady Libertine