View Diary: Poll: Americans oppose intervention in Syria, think North Korea can be contained, back drone attacks (88 comments)

•  Will those numbers... (4+ / 0-)
    chrississippi, mimi, TJ, PhilJD

...change after the first couple of foreign drone attacks strike America?

by Meteor Blades on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 10:12:32 AM PDT

•  as opposed to what? foreign boots on the ground? (3+ / 0-)
      johnny wurster, cherish0708, doroma
      •  as opposed of foreign boots on US grounds? (0+ / 0-)

Americans had none of the two in their history. Never.
        Neither bombs falling from the skies on their land, nor drones over their heads within the US, nor foreign military boots on American soil. As long as they hadn't that experience, questioning them about it is pretty meaningless, imo.

•  Well...there was that little foray to the (0+ / 0-)

Whitehouse in the war of 1812.

Oeverall, you're correct. We've largely been spared the consequences of the wars we engage in...by "largely" I mean in comparision to other countries...not that we didn't take casaulties, but that casaulties on the other side were usually much heavier & that our infrastructure was only positively affected...Civil War being the exception.

It's funny how other countries view bombs dropping on them as terrorism. It is only terrorism when the bomb is delivered by hand.

America's greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Wed May 01, 2013 at 07:47:11 PM PDT

•  1812 ... a bit too long ago ... (0+ / 0-)

of course you had heavy casualties ... being in wars overseas all the time ... I didn't mean that you hadn't sacrificed a lot.

But in general only a subgroup of the US population sacrifices (and heavy so and unfairly too, imo), but the US population never became dependent and oppressed by a foreign nation.

What is missing in your conscience is that you never HAD to adapt to avoid the consequences of a potential oppression by a foreign power or suffered physically the consequences of an attack or war on your own soil. (9/11 as being a terror act but not a declaration of war by a foreign nation).

•  It is true I (1+ / 0-)
              mimi
              never HAD to adapt to avoid the consequences of a potential oppression by a foreign power.

However, much of the post WWII US experience shows that too many here erroneously felt they

Now that the Cold War is over, the meme is we have

to adapt to avoid the consequences of a potential oppression by a foreign (or domestic) terrorist.
              As the song goes, "It is the same old thing since 1916." Okay, the date is wrong, but the George Romero-esque sentiment is the same.

America's greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Wed May 01, 2013 at 09:37:39 PM PDT

•  The Confederacy Invaded Pennsylvania (0+ / 0-)

4 score and 7 years after independence.

by Gooserock on Wed May 01, 2013 at 08:01:01 PM PDT

•  Actually, besides 1812-15, there were... (2+ / 0-)
          mimi, catilinus

...two 20th Century examples, Pancho Villa's rebels (maybe could be called foreign troops) and the Japanese in the Aleutians 1942-43.

by Meteor Blades on Wed May 01, 2013 at 08:47:08 PM PDT

•  doubt it. (0+ / 0-)

Don't see why the numbers change.  People have used guns against americans in wars; that hasn't led to a groundswell of opposition to our use of guns in wars.

•  We are not talking about the future. We are (2+ / 0-)
      AntonBursch, Tony Situ

talking about now.  We will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Right NOW, my son is in Afghanistan.  You can bet that I am in favor of using drones in place of humans.

At this moment in time, I think I am right.

In the time it took Adam Lanza to reload, eleven children escaped. What if...

by Sixty Something on Wed May 01, 2013 at 07:42:13 PM PDT

•  this has been and remains a strawman (0+ / 0-)

the nations we are talking about either can not or will not police their own borders in terms of terrorists groups.

8 years ago we would be talking about cruise missile strikes or JDAM strikes from planes.

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am

by duhban on Wed May 01, 2013 at 08:29:38 PM PDT

•  I don't think so. (0+ / 0-)

We didn't launch cruise missiles at Pakistani weddings and funerals on a regular basis.

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. - Gandalf the Grey

by No Exit on Thu May 02, 2013 at 05:49:50 AM PDT

•  really? (0+ / 0-)

you sure that in the extend history of cruise missile usage we never hit the wrong thing?

I seem to recall during Clinton's time doing so at least once

In the time that I have been given,