View Diary: Mysterious push poll smears Elizabeth Colbert Busch (101 comments)

•  If you can't win, Cheat. (10+ / 0-)

The difference between Democrats and Republicans...

Registered in NY-02, College CT-01, Spent most of the rest of my life on the border of NY-08 and NY-15

by R30A on Wed May 01, 2013 at 08:18:09 AM PDT

•  They cheat even when they CAN'T win. (6+ / 0-)
      Just Bob, bearian, R30A, JBL55, JBraden, LSophia

and even when they don't need to.  I know modern Democrats have used some dirty tactics in the past (pretty sure nothing like this, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find something resembling symmetry... but of course, the way Sanford puts it, just accepting "Pelosi's money" is an equally awful crime).

The difference is in cheating and smearing for its own sake:  for research purposes, just to find out if it can work, out of habit, and just for fun.  The difference is in running one's entire campaign, and then following that, one's governing principles, around the concept of smearing the opposition and subverting and destroying the system you are elected to serve.

Republicans are actually right (no pun intended) when they talk about having "honest debates about the issues".  It is incredibly sad that they are, without exception, all lying when they make such a call.

•  Some politician once smeared an opponent ... (3+ / 0-)

... way back in the day by saying his opponent's sister was a notorious thespian.

"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate." ~ Al Cleveland & Marvin Gaye (1970)

by JBL55 on Wed May 01, 2013 at 10:04:33 AM PDT

•  If memory serves . . . (2+ / 0-)
          CriticallyDamped, JBL55

. . . it was Florida Republican Sen. George Smathers who used that line against an opponent, claiming that the opponent's sister was "a known thespian in wicked New York!"

30, chick, Jewish, solid progressive, NY-14 currently, FL-22 native, went to school in IL-01. "We need less of that War on Women, and more of that Warren woman!"-- writer Paul Myers.

by The Caped Composer on Wed May 01, 2013 at 03:39:38 PM PDT

•  In New York, no less. (1+ / 0-)
            The Caped Composer

As if being a thespian were not bad enough.

Was "Wicked" playing back then?

by JBL55 on Thu May 02, 2013 at 12:16:27 AM PDT

•  I was thinking of making a pun on that myself! (1+ / 0-)
              JBL55

No, Wicked was not playing back then-- the incident happened in the 1950's, well before Gregory Maguire ever wrote a novel or Stephen Schwartz ever had a musical performed. But, yeah, these days, if someone referred to a "known thespian in wicked New York," a YouTube meme would crop up, likely involving Kristin Chenoweth and/or Idina Menzel refuting whichever candidate made that claim-- "I'm not so-and-so's sister, but since his opponent is lying, I hope so-and-so's poll numbers will soon be 'Defying Gravity!'"

by The Caped Composer on Thu May 02, 2013 at 07:30:55 AM PDT

•  I really need to see that musical. (0+ / 0-)

All I know of it is (a) everyone I know who has seen it loves it, and (b) the song "For Good."

When I moved away from the NY metro area in 1998. I had this idea I'd be able to plan return visits around this play or that musical, but so far I've only managed to see two productions at City Opera (Of Mice & Men and Don Giovanni), 42nd Street (2001) and A Little Night Music (2010).

I'm grateful for those, but I always hope for so much more ...

by JBL55 on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:18:25 AM PDT

•  Well, when their worldview is that (1+ / 0-)
        CriticallyDamped

everyone who isn't one of them is out to get them and ruin their lives, either implicitly or intentionally, well...they feel they gotta do what they gotta do.