View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Thursday (220 comments)

•  East Bay Cheers (20+ / 0-)

Cheers to getting a job!  As a RN at a summer camp for developmentally and physically disabled kids and adults, mostly with autism and Down's syndrome.  I'm so excited!  It's at the foot of the mountains, and I'll live there, except on days off, and work 12-15 hour shifts.  There are a couple stretches of 10 days in a row, which will be hard.  There'll be one head nurse, two of us new grad RNs, and six nursing students.  I'm not in it for the money, obviously, but for the experience, and they'll train us.  Was thinking the other day how I'm getting tired of working for free.  Was also told that my letters of recommendation sealed the deal, as four of us, out of fifteen applicants, were in the running.

Hey, sfbob, you better get TrapperSF over to C&J, 'cuz we're getting hired! (Plus, cm needs his daily fix).

Cheers to seeing old co-worker friends today.

Cheers to going to Bodega Bay tomorrow for my b-day.  May I please have my caramels blessed today, Bill, as I won't be around tomorrow?  Cheers to the owner of the B&B going the extra mile by calling and asking about any dietary restrictions and offering to make reservations at restaurants.

Sorry for your loss, Bill, but who names their washing machine???

Cheers to Bill, Michael, Fantom, Haley, and all here.  Have a great day!

"...I am superficially and ingenuously offended, which is to say, not offended, but suspicious that perhaps I should be." --Gentle Giant

by Maudlin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:32:49 AM PDT

•  Happy birthday, Maudlin, and many more! n/t (9+ / 0-)

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:39:07 AM PDT

•  Happy Birthday! (10+ / 0-)

And a big hat tip to you for your work with the Downs & autistic kids.  Heaven knows I have no aptitude for that level of caring and compassion, but I admire people who do.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:44:34 AM PDT

•  OK, here you go: (3+ / 0-)
      Maudlin, The Marti, GreenDog

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:45:01 AM PDT

•  Good morning, Nurse! (7+ / 0-)

Happy Birthday!

Congrats on the job!

...you're having a big week! Yay!

The better I know people, the more I like my dog.

by Thinking Fella on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:49:45 AM PDT

•  Of, course: Happy Birthday, Maudlin! (8+ / 0-)

And many blessings on your camels....

•  {{{Happy Birthday Hug, Maudlin!}}} (5+ / 0-)

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥♥ Happy Birthday to You! ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥♥ Happy Birthday to You! ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥♥ Happy Birthday Dear Maudlin! ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥♥ Happy Birthday to You! ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥♥ Aaaaaannd Maaaaany Mooooooar! ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Live like someone left the gate open

by NonnyO on Thu May 02, 2013 at 08:40:23 AM PDT

•  Thank you, NonnyO. (2+ / 0-)
        NonnyO, GreenDog

My brother is starting to look into our family tree.  Will have to tell you about it.

by Maudlin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:39:31 PM PDT

•  ;-) Warn your brother... (1+ / 0-)
          GreenDog

... that if he likes dusty old facts, documents with indecipherable handwriting, maybe a mystery or two, and history and historical and research trivia that genealogy can become an addicting hobby.

First, get a good genealogy program  (THE best is Reunion which only works on Macs, but some people don't like Mac products).  Second, never - but never, ever!!! - copy someone else's work.  That's only copying someone else's work and it's not original research.  Down that path lies errors and mistakes that have to be corrected (and I loathe having to correct errors in a genealogy program, so attempt to be correct the first time).  If he finds something interesting in seeing someone else's info, fine..., pursue the trail to see if it's valid, but don't copy it as your own work.  Verify everything with documents.

Always get copies of original documents when you can (that part gets expensive, but some areas have the oldest documents online, some even free - it just depends on which state it's in); some courthouse clerks are now clued into the fact that genealogists prefer good copies of original documents, not re-typed certified copies (they don't have blanks for everything; took me over a quarter of a century to find out one gr-grandmother died from measles at age 40 when a friend took a digital image of the old ledger book records used to be kept in and sent me the images; there was no open blank on the certified form to put in cause of death, just the other info), and since they have to notarize it to collect those huge fees, some can/will notarize the good photocopy instead of re-typing the info for a certified copy.  I always ask for a good photo copy.

If great aunt once removed starts telling stories and everyone loves her stories, that's all very good and well, but for effect many details are "enhanced" through retelling and now the original may or may not be true, and some stories are half true but the time frame is all wrong and it happened a decade before or after the story you heard (I have had that happen, too).  Tape record or video tape her, make notes..., but don't enter the data in a genie program without backup documents (birth, marriage, death, census, land grants, draft registration info - whatever the case may be).

I once wandered through a maze of the most amazing errors in an old woman's obit.  Turned out her kids didn't know her very well or never listened to stories when her hubby was alive, 'cuz the vast majority of the info in her obit was about her hubby; both were Norwegian immigrants from different areas of Norway and when one is working with patronymic names, it's important to find the father's first name.  I found their marriage info by accident in a different state, so Serendipity often plays a huge role in my finds of copies of original documents.

When entering data, pretend you've time-traveled into the future, the documents worked with have become separated from the genealogy program..., and someone wants to re-create the data from original documents and info.  Type out every name in full, which means ALWAYS use a woman's birth surname for the initial entry.  Put nicknames or secondary names or name changes or note spelling errors in documents in the Notes section, and if there was a spouse for either male or female, the name change may - or may not - be assumed (some emigrants switched back and forth between a patronymic name and a location name until they finally settled on using one, and another one chose a different name on a whim.  I put my finds in chronological order from birth through death for my Source info and put it all in the Notes section.

Use the European dating system (day, month, year) and spell it all out, never using numbers for the month or day and only the last two digits for the year (it's a hassle and one author of a book for one branch of my family used numbers for everything; he's dead, but some moments I could willingly go back and strangle him posthumously for using all those numbers and not spelling out the name of the month).  Never use abbreviations.  People in other countries won't know what they mean.  In 200 years a descendant won't know what the old abbreviations or acronyms mean.  Write all locations out in full (no abbreviations) by smallest to largest for all locations (city, township, county, state).

If he gets stuck, kosmail me.  I keep irregular hours when I'm in the middle of a research project like I am now, but I'll see it at some point when I'm awake and online.  I might - or might not - be able to help.  Certain things in genealogy come naturally to me and I can find them in a very few minutes (I know "secrets" about certain cousins that are not generally known and I can't say anything, for instance, and they don't know that I know these things - I keep a second database offline for living descendants and private info so I don't accidentally put data about living people online - no reputable genealogist will put data about living people online).  For areas where I have no expertise, I might know someone who knows someone.

Email lists can be good.  Message boards..., not so much, or they're only iffy.  I don't mess with message boards except for the ones gatewayed to email lists, and they're usually a pain in the ass.  I much prefer the world-wide email lists I'm on because the experienced researchers know what they're doing from long experience, so info they give about language, customs, records in their countries, etc., as well as the all-important translations and transcriptions of old handwriting are invaluable.  We turn around and help the newbies when we can and talk them through finding data or find it for them in their databases.

I'm now into my 51st year of doing genealogy research....

Eeeerrrrmmmm... did I mention genealogy research can be addictive...?

Happy Ancestor Hunting!!!  :-)

by NonnyO on Fri May 03, 2013 at 01:34:38 AM PDT

•  Wow, you should consider posting your comment as (2+ / 0-)
            GreenDog, NonnyO

a diary.  Thanks for the advice.  Do you teach genealogy?  You'd be great.

We do know that there was a samurai who lost his land, a great uncle who wrote bad checks and spent time in Leavenworth, a great grandmother who sold bootleg whiskey on skid row in L.A., and that my grandmother was possibly the product of a rape, but we need to get the details.  My brother was in Japan recently and looked through some public records but didn't turn up much.

by Maudlin on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:10:40 AM PDT

•  Yowza! (0+ / 0-)

You do have an interesting family history in just what you do know!  Makes me feel inadequate that I only turned up one murder mystery for the brother of one of my aunt's husband's brothers, but after reading the newspaper accounts printed before the alleged murderer committed suicide, I think the fellow's wife is the murderer and he probably only assisted.  When the 1940 census images came out last year I discovered the farm of the fellow murdered was next to where my aunt & uncle lived (both were my godparents six years later).

The one (of several) areas of genealogy research about which I know next to nothing is Japanese research (any oriental country, actually).  I don't know what kind of records are available, and the languages are a mystery (other than they're an art form, elegant, and we saw some great photos of it with scenes of people or landscape along with the writing in my Art History classes).

I don't teach genealogy, but I've been doing this so long and made enough mistakes of my own I had to correct, and learned enough from others, that I've got all the basics down pat for what is really necessary.

I'd be a terrible teacher.  I have no patience.  I have had great teachers in my life and practically genuflect thinking about them to this day.  They fostered my independent learning processes even though they probably didn't realize they were doing so at the time, and before I had the vocabulary to label it.  My earliest student days were a bit unique in that I was the only kid in my grade from second through sixth grade, in a two-room school that had four grades in one room and two in the other.  When I entered seventh grade I had a lot of classmates in another school and we graduated together in 1964.

Writing about genealogy basics and putting them in a DK post I've thought about doing, and I could branch off into research in the three Scandinavian countries where I find information all the time.  I am a member of the DK genealogy and family history community.  If I do post an article, I'll pimp it out probably in C&J and maybe in the PWB posts.

Thanks for the encouragement!  :-)

by NonnyO on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:36:32 PM PDT

•  Yay! (5+ / 0-)

Congrats on the job, and especially for taking that one. My godson is autistic, and summer camp was a huge behavioral breakthrough for him. I am forever grateful for camp counselors and special needs teachers, and all the support staff at places like this for the love and patience he was given--it made a huge difference.

•  Thanks, OrlWriter. (2+ / 0-)
        OrlWriter, GreenDog

I'm going to try my hardest to make it a good experience for the participants.  That's the main thing.

by Maudlin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:40:50 PM PDT

•  {{{Maudlin}}} (4+ / 0-)
      The Marti, mayim, GreenDog, Maudlin

Happy Birthday, sweetie!!!  ♥

We're walking temples of noise, and when you add tender hearts to this mix, it somehow lets us meet in places we couldn't get to any other way.-Anne Lamott

by alicia on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:43:35 AM PDT

•  Thank you, {{{alicia}}}! (2+ / 0-)
        alicia, GreenDog

Have a great weekend!

by Maudlin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:41:34 PM PDT

•  Oh, and I'd like to hear about Sally sometime. (2+ / 0-)
          alicia, GreenDog

I missed your introduction of her in C&J.

by Maudlin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:46:16 PM PDT

•  Sally is Frank's sister! (1+ / 0-)
            GreenDog

She is really something....came into her own after Frank passed away and is just the sweetest German Shepherd you could imagine.  I'd post a picture....you know, if I knew how.  Still working on that!  I hope you have a great Birthday, today!!!!!

by alicia on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:37:07 AM PDT

•  Happy Birfday to Maudlin........ (3+ / 0-)
      mayim, GreenDog, Maudlin

and may all your caramels be blessed!

Have a wunnderful day!

Hugs,
      Marti

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:29:07 AM PDT

•  Happy Birthday! Make a really good wish (1+ / 0-)
      Maudlin

before you blow out those (however many) candles!
      And congratulations on the job. You will be great at it.

"..the big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart." Kurt Vonnegut

by GreenDog on Thu May 02, 2013 at 01:08:28 PM PDT

•  Thanks, GreenDog! (2+ / 0-)
        GreenDog, alicia

I'll try to be way more patient than with my MIL.

by Maudlin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:44:45 PM PDT