View Diary: MayDay: Thousands of Workers gather in NYC/Wingnuts stage sad counter rally (44 comments)

•  Is everyone who opposes (2+ / 0-)
    Tool, elwior

the immigration bill racist and bigoted?

What about the Congressional black caucus?

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Wed May 01, 2013 at 05:54:19 PM PDT

•  No. I oppose the current bill because it is (3+ / 0-)
      joanneleon, mrkvica, elwior

a watered down BS piece of legislation that seeks to punish immigrants and workers.
      The majority of people
      at the rally were for a immigration bill, just not anything the "Gang of 8" was attempting to sell as a compromise. Those people across the street? They were racist and their signs were inflammatory and said nothing about reforming a broken system.

President Obama would have been a republican in the 1980's & 1990's. Go figure.

by Tool on Wed May 01, 2013 at 06:11:17 PM PDT

•  You are avoiding the question. (0+ / 0-)

The CBC opposes amnesty - and they view this bill as amnesty - and so do the people in your pictures. They are racist and bigoted, but what is the CBC?

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Wed May 01, 2013 at 06:17:05 PM PDT

•  He answered your question (6+ / 0-)

Yes, it is possible to be against the bill but not be racist when you are demanding something BETTER, as well as for other reasons.

But your attempt to say that Tool is calling the CBC racist is the flimsiest kind of accusation by association. Your trying to be clever. It isn't working.

Regulate banks, not vaginas

by MinistryOfTruth on Wed May 01, 2013 at 06:22:12 PM PDT

•  I agree. I'm not clever. (0+ / 0-)

I'm sincerely curious why these losers holding signs are considered hateful and bigoted, while the CBC, which is actual congress members who vote on the bill, why do they get a pass?

I don't think Tool is calling the CBC bigots. I'm asking why he isn't calling them bigots, or to be fair, why no one will.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Wed May 01, 2013 at 07:27:28 PM PDT

•  First, you are wrong about the CBC (1+ / 0-)
              elwior

The African American Leadership Council opposes amnesty and is lobbying the CBC to oppose it.

Second, you can xenophobic and not racist.  Xenophobia means fear of the outsider, foreigner, and stranger, which may or may not be conjoined with racism.  Considering the AALC seems to oppose amnesty based on fear over jobs and wages lost, I would consider this an example of xenophobia.  The fear has no basis in economic fact, therefore it is irrational and thus a "phobia."

•  I did not know (1+ / 0-)
          elwior

that the CBC opposes amnesty. On what grounds do they oppose? Is it because they believe the bill is not far reaching enough or are they simply against it altogether?

This is a nation of immigrants and I don't believe in excluding a portion of the population for the sake of another. Regardless of if the CBC does indeed oppose creating a real path to citizenship, it is the right thing to do. There have been plenty of times when the CBC has been wrong on things, but that does not make them racist.

President Obama would have been a republican in the 1980's & 1990's. Go figure.

by Tool on Wed May 01, 2013 at 06:28:22 PM PDT

•  Every nation is a nation of immigrants. (0+ / 0-)

That doesn't mean we don't get to put limits on who and how many immigrants can come here. Do you believe there should be any limits at all on immigration?

•  There should be reasonable restriction (0+ / 0-)

To immigration in terms of, is the person healthy? Besides that there should be little restriction. Into coming into this country. Do you know how hard it is for students to come here? For workers to come here? Consider how many people we allowed in from Europe who were processed in Ellis island and then compare that period to our last 20 years? Our system is broken and focuses on non-issues. We as a people now deny ourselves access to some of the most talented individuals, workers, and people wanting a better life because of "freedomz" and "terrorz".  Most of the business owners that oppose a pathway to citizenship and meaningful immigration reform is because they enjoy cheap labor and would rather pay someone 50$ a day for picking veggies in the sun for 14 hours then deal with paying them a living wage and the protections that come with not being an invisible person.

President Obama would have been a republican in the 1980's & 1990's. Go figure.

by Tool on Thu May 02, 2013 at 03:47:59 AM PDT