View Diary: Daily Kos is not About More and Better Democrats. It's About Stupid and Stupider Republicans. (315 comments)

•  Maybe (116+ / 0-)

Or, it seems to me, the front page content is geared towards electing Democrats, no matter what, and the only way to do that at this point is to scare the shit out of everyone with how crazy the Republicans are.

This is why I never read the front page. I'm a reform Democrat. I believe the only way to mount a counteroffensive against the Republicans and their masters on Wall Street is to first weed out the right wing infiltrators from our own party. The so called "third way" crowd. For it is their stewardship of our party that allows the crazy right to fester in the first place. That's what happens when you vote for right wing Democrats. You not only lose the power to shape the party by holding these assholes accountable, but you end up with a party that can't mount a decent offense against conservatism because so many in the leadership are conservatives themselves.

And then what happens? Republicans move even further to the right. We need to demand real Democrats to not only beat down right wing policies, but to speak for the millions of Americans who don't believe in crackpot neoliberal economics and return the Overton Window beck to the left where it should be.

•  Yup, I think your first conclusion was (23+ / 0-)

pretty much on the mark. Currently the Democratic Party is of little use on a national level despite the best efforts of Jeff Merkley and a handful of others.

If there is no accountability for those who authorized torture, we can no longer say that we are a nation of laws, not men.

by MikePhoenix on Fri May 03, 2013 at 02:03:05 AM PDT

•  The Democraic Party is not full of Republicans (5+ / 0-)
          scott5js, jpmassar, Denver11, grollen, JVolvo

If it serves no other purpose than to exclude Republicans and independents from elected office we can get things like gun control, immigration, consumer protection, voter protection, healthcare, education, bills designed to stimulate spending, repair infrastructure, return the troops from Afghanistan, protect safety nets, raise the minimum wage, increase social security benefits passed and confirm appointments in a timely manner.

When Democrats are running for office in Red States they need to make it clear that they are not Republicans and  then as with gun control many more voters will back them.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:30:40 AM PDT

•  Agree (12+ / 0-)

When Democrats do good things, Daily Kos is the first place I find out about it.  The problem is that these days, Democrats aren't doing much in the way of good.

The argument presented in this diary is subversive because it tries to lay the problem at the feet of the people who are only reporting what they see instead of laying the blame where it actually belongs: with the Democrats that too often enable the worst of the right.

So no, the "problem" is not that Daily Kos is obsessed with stupid Republicans, the problem is that our own party enables far too much of that stupid.  The "problem" is that our government is broken, it was broken by Republicans with far, far too much help from Democrats.  Not to mention that there is very, very little genuinely good things that the Democrats are doing these days and the only way to show any "good" is with a whole lot of spin.  In other words, the argument implied by the diarist that Democrats really are doing good stuff that is under-reported by the Daily Kos staff is not a reality-based view.  It is a propaganda-based view meant to serve the interests of centrists and third-wayers.

Arrrr, the laws of science be a harsh mistress. -Bender B. Rodriguez

by democracy inaction on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:31:23 AM PDT

•  One half of Congress is controlled by (14+ / 0-)

racist, sexist bigots and xenophobes.  They're so incompetent  they can't even vote in accord on their own batshit crazy agenda.  Standing back and letting the country see what's happening might just net us big wins in 2014.  You may be missing this, but ordinary folks are getting the benefits of Obama's first term wins and that's why we did much better in 2012 than anyone predicted.

Keep the heat on the crazies.  Keep putting the incoherent Ayotte and Bachmann front and center.  Keep Gohmert in the public eye.  Publish every RW radio lie they spew, mock every clusterfuck vote in the House, highlight every filibuster, every secret hold, every stupid austerity move.

Or whine loudly about weak Dems because the Heritage Foundation and the Koch brothers need your help if they're going to win in 2014.

by I love OCD on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:09:47 AM PDT

•  Lets say I wanted to buy a political office... (7+ / 0-)

Lets say I was a very wealthy business man and I wanted to own the local mayor in my town.  I could dump a lot of money into one polical candidate's race and hope that candidate wins and then buy him off with a lucrative job offer when he leaves office or something and hope my competitor doesn't spend as much money getting his guy elected.  I may win or I may lose.

However, if I was really smart and wanted to make sure I won, I would make sure both candidates worked for me no matter who won the election.  Sure, one candidate would talk about family values and church and gun rights and the other candidate would talk about women's rights to choose and gay rights.  I, as a business man, do not care about those things.  I just want to make sure that when whoever wins takes office, he is not going to be snooping around my fertilizer plant and he is not going to try to make laws that cost me money.  Let the people decide about the other crap because I will make sure that whatever I am interested in gets done no matter what he says during the campaign.  Who cares what letter he has in front of his name.

That is our political make up in congress right now.  They know which districts are going to vote democratic or Republican so they know who to run if they want to get someone elected.  They just have to support the candidate who is predetermined to win.  Who cares if he supports gays or a abortion or anything else.  As long as he votes the way I tell him to when the I need him to vote for my financial interests, I don't care.

One of the biggest mistakes, I think, people here make is thinking that these people who buy political races give a damn about social issues.  They don't.  They care about making money and whether it is a Democrat or a Republican that makes them money is not important.  To them, social issues are simply wedge issues designed to make people feel like they have a choice.  But if your going to get screwed either way, you might as well get the candidate who supposedly cares about the social issues you want addressed.

Keep in mind though, when Bush had the House and Senate, he didn't pass any real abortion legislation because it would have taken that wedge issue away that drives his base.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:29:34 AM PDT

•  You know I think we need to consider (2+ / 0-)
                Eyesbright, RandomNonviolence

that corporations are not the fearsome enemy being sold to us.  Yeah they have money and Elizabeth Warren still won.  Are you claiming she's a Stealth Corporatist?  Obama won.  I know we have lots of CT about his stealth corporatism, which begs the question Why Did Wall Street Not Shower Him With Donations?

This place is starting to resemble pathetic victims central.  Everything is too big, too bad, too powerful and no one's going to save us.  Fuck that shit.  No one's EVER saved me, I have to fight, opt out, create my own successes, whatever.  I hate this stuff.  They can't run efficient successful businesses without predatory practices but they're too powerful to beat??  Only if you're too scared to try.

by I love OCD on Fri May 03, 2013 at 09:30:33 AM PDT

•  Wow, just wow... (2+ / 0-)
                  NoMoreLies, jpmassar
                  Wow, how did you get all of that from what I wrote?

I do not think they are too powerful to beat.  I want desperately to beat them  However, we will never beat them if the only requirements we place on who we vote for is whether they have a (D) in front of the name and what there stance is on abortion.

What exactly do you think I am so wrong about?  You don't think that a successful business man is smart enough to know that a Republican will never beat a Democrat in a solid blue district or do you not believe that a successful businessman would stoop to preditory practices?  You don't think that someone with Democratic social beliefs could be bought (meaning have their campaign paid for) to bend to the will of their financier's economic will?  You think Exxon or the Koch Brothers wouldn't support a Democratic candidate that is for equal marraige rights but against EPA rules that would cost them money?  You think they are above that?

I saw a CNN story today about Saudi Arabian diplomats, here in the United States accussed of human trafficing.  Bringing in Phillipino women and using them as slaves.  Now, conventional wisdom would suggest that these wealthy beyond belief people wouldn't take that kind of risk to have slaves when they could just as easily hire anyone in the country to do almost anything they could possibly want.  Why would they need slaves?  The fact is, if they want slaves, they'll get slaves.

They will do whatever they want because that is what obscenely powerful people do... they get what they want.  Morals are for the little people. You can bet your last dollar that some self righteous, rich bastard in this country is going to look at them and say that they are not like that because they would never have slaves.  Sure, they may be paying a thousand Bangledesh citizens some spare change to work twelve hours a day, seven days a week to make their products but they would never outright own a slave.

Why didn't Wall Street shower President obama with money this time?  I don't know. Maybe because he only offered them the Gulf of Mexico and they wanted the whole damn ocean, your guess is as good as mine.  It doesn't appear to matter who won though because the DOW and the S&P hit new records today in spite of lackluster recovery for the rest of the country.  This came on top of the news last week that the people in the top 7% has made obscene profits during this "recovery" and the bottom 93% has actually lost money. Hmmm...

It appears that Wall Street has won and it didn't matter who was elected after all.  Interesting...  Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Fri May 03, 2013 at 11:37:02 AM PDT

•  The corporations, or specific corporations (4+ / 0-)

can afford to lose every now and then, mainly because they've got so many other politicians to fall back on. As much as I like seeing Warren in the Senate one person ain't gonna make a big difference.

Egg-zactly. We can beat them. But unless we work at electing dems and not just attacking the GOP then we won't win. That's how we depress turnout and that's a death sentence in a midterm.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Fri May 03, 2013 at 11:49:59 AM PDT

•  And another thing... (2+ / 0-)
                  NoMoreLies, jpmassar

Read this if you still think I am some kind of tin foil hat wearing, Ct throwing, POTUS hatin', troll.

I realize you may not have used those exact words but you certainly implied it.

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:03:24 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry I blew at you, I wasn't specifically (1+ / 0-)
                    Buckeye Nut Schell

referring to your comment or you personally, I've just hit a point of being fed up to the teeth with a general "it's over, we'll never win" mindset that's all too prevalent here.  You echoed some of those arguments and I blew up.  Please accept my apology, you didn't deserve the full-on rant.

by I love OCD on Fri May 03, 2013 at 04:49:28 PM PDT

•  hm (0+ / 0-)

there's every reason in the world to think it's over and to give up...

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:20:30 PM PDT

•  Well I tend to actually (1+ / 0-)
                        aguadito

go there and require hospitalization as a result.  It's a self-fulfilling mindset, rarely reality based, and always produces such deep lethargy that action is nearly impossible.  Feeding depression and hopelessness is a great way to ensure no pushback.  Who wins then?

by I love OCD on Sat May 04, 2013 at 07:34:00 AM PDT

•  Tell it to Eric Holder, willya? (2+ / 0-)
                  MikePhoenix, jpmassar
                  Everything is too big, too bad, too powerful
                  I think he was talking about banks, but that could probably apply to other things...

"The “Left” is NOT divided on the need to oppose austerity and the Great Betrayal. The Third Way is not left or center or even right. It is Wall Street on the Potomac."--Bill Black

by lunachickie on Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:42:53 PM PDT

•  You know we've never had an (0+ / 0-)

International economy before.  We've never had corporate entities this large with roots in so many places.  TBTF is a fact not a centrist plot, and it's damn difficult to put the genie back into the bottle.  It'll take time to disconnect America's future from corporate behemoths, and a strong will besides.  I appreciate Holder and Obama for not treating me like a dumb kid who can't handle reality.  I prefer knowing that we're in a nasty box we didn't foresee 40 years ago and it will take effort to kick our way out.  I prefer leaders who tell ugly truths to bosses who lie to me for my own good.  I assume that 60 years of fighting the commie menace blindly and stupidly will require a few decades of sane foreign policy to overcome. I assume that our former love affair with corporations will take a few decades to balance out.  I don't fault the current administration for disasters that were years in the making, nor do I expect quick and easy fixes.

Real life isn't much like teevee dramas with clear, neat storylines and satisfying solutions in 54 minutes.  It's a clusterfuck with more murk than clarity and more grey than black and white.

by I love OCD on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:09:07 PM PDT

•  . (0+ / 0-)

How many excuses  can someone make in a large, run-on paragraph, followed by a bunch of platitudes and then top it off with some patronizing pablum?

Please disabuse yourself of the notion that any of that will convince any fence-sitters...

it will take effort to kick our way out.
                      Making an effort most assuredly does not encompass a top law-enforcement officer admitting in public in front of other government officials that some entities are just too big to be prosecuted.  Please do better next time...

by lunachickie on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:24:16 PM PDT

•  You're making virtually the same (1+ / 0-)
              MikePhoenix

argument as the diarist and it is just as disconnected from reality as the diarist's argument.  If Democrats lose in 2014, it most certainly won't be because of "whining" about "weak Dems," done to help the Koch's win in 2014.  It will be because weak Dems brought it upon themselves irrespective of who "whines" (read: doesn't toe the line to spin and propagandize enough on behalf of weak Dems) about it.

What you're engaging in is nothing more than transparent neoliberal spin and shooting the goddamned messenger.  And I, for one, will no longer abide this bullshit.

Arrrr, the laws of science be a harsh mistress. -Bender B. Rodriguez

by democracy inaction on Fri May 03, 2013 at 10:05:14 AM PDT

•  While I'm not sure of diarists's intent, I am sure (10+ / 0-)

that achieving a Grand Bargain w/ GOP is this WH's primary goal in this Congress.  That's not a goal that's shared by the vast majority of this site.  Highlighting the crazy on the other side makes perfect sense under those circumstances.

Ironically enough, the craziness of the GOP has, thus far, been the sole impediment to achieving the Grand Bargain.  Maybe highlighting it makes even more sense under those circumstances.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:49:03 AM PDT

•  I would argue slightly differently (3+ / 0-)
              New Rule, jjohnjj, jpmassar

It is the crazy that has Obama trying to find SOMETHING that can be agreed on (not necessarily a tack that I agree with, by any means), and yet it is the same crazy that (thankfully) keeps the Grand Bargain) from happening.

For those old enough to remember -- what if you had the equivalent of Everett Dirksens running the Republican leadership?  My take is that Obama would NOT be pushing the same lame "Grand Bargain" he is now, but something with a more progressive tilt.  Certainly not progressive enough for many on this site, but a sight better than what we are looking at now.

•  You must of read a different diary than I wrote! (2+ / 0-)
            Buckeye Nut Schell, MikePhoenix
    •  I know the Front Page has a dual purpose... (38+ / 0-)

both to keep kossacks informed and attract curious visitors. But we kossacks don't need the crap scared out of us. We are well-versed in the CrAzY. And the vast majority of us wouldn't even consider voting Republican.

I think it would benefit both this community and occasional visitors if more good deeds by Democrats were highlighted.

Those good deeds would effectively serve as inspiration -- both for kossacks to work harder for more and better candidates, and for convincing non-troll visitors to the site to embrace them.

A more equitable split between highlighting right-wing insanity and liberal egalitarianism would be most helpful to the overall progressive path this country needs to follow.

Just sayin'

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone" - John Maynard Keynes

by markthshark on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:00:40 PM PDT

•  Well, (15+ / 0-)

not every diary. MB, Hunter, Laura Clawson, Laurence Lewis, Joan McCarter, etc. come up with non-Republican-bashing stuff.

The singularity we are witnessing is the passing of the last wave of people who had the luxury to behave as if the past 30 years did not happen.

by Words In Action on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:01:28 PM PDT

•  real Better Dems don't get much press here, (23+ / 0-)

sure, there's Eliz Warren, Bernie Sanders.

But we didn't hear about Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden when he fillibustered with Rand Paul on the drones, and he's been more progressive on quite a few issues.

Other progressive Sens. not getting much view here are Tom Harken, Tammy Baldwin, Barbara Boxer, Sherrod Brown, Sheldon Whitehouse, Kirsten Gillibrand,  Al Franken. Unless they do something wrong.

I was looking at the list of Dem senators and wasn't sure about a number of them since I don't even hear about them but rarely. But I bet there are some who are quiet but do the right thing most of the time.

I'm just saying both are needed-- boosting the good ones and critiquing the bad ones or the good ones when one does something wrong. The best way to promote more better Dems is to also promote them.

•  I seldom read what's on the front page either, & (10+ / 0-)

I am a reform Democrat too.   I don't care who is in power if they are both trying to destroy the middle class.  Not only should we not vote for right wing Democrats, we should set about the business of punishing those that should belong to the GOP.   The further right both parties moves, the more disaffected Republicans the Democratic Party attracts and the further right it moves again.

I do believe that dailykos is up to something on "better" Democrats.  Besides sign this petition and send your money - I don't know much about it unfortunately.   I no longer feel as if I'm "crashing the gate".   I feel more like the doorman carrying the beautiful people's coats.

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by dkmich on Fri May 03, 2013 at 02:29:07 AM PDT

•  Well said. (2+ / 0-)
      jpmassar, shaharazade

You..ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones

by northsylvania on Fri May 03, 2013 at 02:44:55 AM PDT

•  Not a this or that situation (3+ / 0-)
      scott5js, jpmassar, grollen

I also believe we need to weed out the Third Way, DLC retreads and wannabe Kochsuckers from our ranks.

However, what good will that do if we don't differentiate ourselves from the other guys at the same time?

The whole point of weeding those GOP-lite ratfucks out is so we can stop having people on our side muddy the water.  That way we can start setting some clear and distinct policies down which distinguish ourselves from the GOP.  We want this because we feel that our policies, once presented to the people, will be the clear winners.  But by adopting GOP talking points and policies into our platform we don't provide the people with any clear distinction.  We're left with a choice between cutting taxes and cutting taxes some more and hoping the magic tax cut fairy solves all our problems.  That's not a clear choice.

So yeah we definitely have to focus on more and better Dems, and this site does do that in primaries and election time.  Case in point the special election in IL to replace Jesse Jackson, JR or the one in SC between Sanford and ECB.   But we also have to differentiate ourselves from the assholes on the right.  Pointing out how corrupt and stupid they are is part of that.  You elevate your side and trash their side.  That's how the game is played.  It just seems right now that it's unbalanced because frankly nothing much is going on legislatively so we have to focus on the failings of the other side.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:43:17 AM PDT

•  How very McCartheyesque of you! (5+ / 0-)
      jpmassar, Lying eyes, Tony Situ, kat68, grollen

How about targeting the fellow travelers?  Time for a DK purge?  What if you're wrong and Pragmatic turns out to be the way Progressive change becomes policy?  History would indicate that every major segment of the Social Contract was enacted via pragmatic negotiation, compromise, and Congressional action following months, years, even decades of effort.

Let's not follow the Republicans off their self-created cliff.

by I love OCD on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:57:14 AM PDT

•  I would have guessed "bad/evil Democrats" (0+ / 0-)

giving "stupid republicans" a run for the money as top diaries, if not on the FP.

•  You nailed it, JH. And thank you for this diary, (0+ / 0-)

jpmasser.

What's the conclusion?

It may be that there simply are no Democrats doing good things of any significance.

That's half right, IMO.

The other part is that 'when legislation is passed,' it is usually Republican-lite, under this Administration.

Many of the diaries published are intended to distract and misdirect--ANYTHING to keep the so-called Democratic Party base from having a good grasp and knowledge of the actual policies that the corporatist Dems support.

Keep up the good work!

What I'd like to see are more 'policy oriented' diaries.

For the rest of this Administration, I hope that we collectively focus like a laser beam on the 'Grand Bargain.'

I will report later on an absolutely 'frightening' interview that I heard the other day on the POTUS Channel of XM (POTUS stands for Politics Of The United States).

If we don't act now to put a stop to austerity, we're sunk.

Shout out to those bloggers who put the new "GB" group together (won't try to name them, 'cause I'm not sure who they were).  ;-)

Mollie