View Diary: Tsarnaev Presumed Guilty: Government Leaks Ill-Gotten Incriminating Statements (180 comments)

•  Agreed. (6+ / 0-)
    Adam B, gerrilea, PhilJD, fuzzyguy, aliasalias, poco

I heard the news report this morning that the brothers were originally planning a July 4th attack and my immediate reaction was, "Why is the government leaking this info?"

Is the FBI or DOJ so unsure of their case that they have to leak information like this, particularly information that may have been collected before reading the suspect his Miranda rights?

On the other hand, they probably figure none of that info will be admissible, so they are trying to dribble it out to taint the jury pool.

Either way, it strikes me as unprofessional and unethical.

Calling other DKos members "weenies" is a personal insult and therefore against site rules.

by Bob Johnson on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:24:41 AM PDT

•  It's as certain as gravity... (4+ / 0-)

...that if the government didn't release details of this sort, people (the same people!) would complain that government was depriving us of our right to know, or that they were tight-lipped because they didn't think they had the right people, etc.  I can't say that it sucks to be the government (it sounds pretty awesome, actually), but sometimes they just can't win.

You know, I sometimes think if I could see, I'd be kicking a lot of ass. -Stevie Wonder at the Glastonbury Festival, 2010

by Rich in PA on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:29:34 AM PDT

•  Is it a "us against them" relationship we have (1+ / 0-)
        aliasalias

now?

If you're okay with the "water cooler conversation" that they selectively release, then there shouldn't be a problem if we talk about them too, right?

And why do they need to "win" again?  What's the goal?  What's the prize?

Shredding the constitution and the rule of law?

by gerrilea on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:46:04 AM PDT

•  Yup You Nailed It (1+ / 0-)
          Nada Lemming
          And why do they need to "win" again?  What's the goal?  What's the prize?

Shredding the constitution and the rule of law?

And only you can save us.

Never. Stop. Typing.

Too Folk For You. - Schmidting in the Punch Bowl - verb - Committing an unexpected and underhanded political act intended to "spoil the party."

by TooFolkGR on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:47:19 AM PDT

•  ROFL, loved it! (1+ / 0-)
            aliasalias

Might I borrow this:

Never. Stop. Typing.????

BTW, this isn't about me, despite your funny maneuvers.

by gerrilea on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:36:27 AM PDT

•  Tipped (1+ / 0-)
            Rich in PA

Not because I agree, but because humor is sometimes needed in these discussions.  And the larger point that all we can do about it is type.  Or something.  Because our right to protest has also been shut down.

Bad things aren't bad! And anyway, there's mitigation!

by Nada Lemming on Fri May 03, 2013 at 09:17:42 AM PDT

•  I think the government needs to win... (0+ / 0-)

...on certain things, and here we're talking about two of them, convicting guilty people and preventing them and others from blowing up stuff, people included.

by Rich in PA on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:38:15 AM PDT