View Diary: Republican obstruction, White House timidity, and a broken government (223 comments)

•  It really seems that he sees bipartisan consensus (14+ / 0-)

as worthwhile for its own sake, not as a tactic to achieve political goals. He may well view "comity" as the highest possible good.

The problem with that approach is that its desired endgame is a peaceful body politic, rather than a healthy one.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Fri May 03, 2013 at 09:30:08 AM PDT

•  It's hard to believe someone that intelligent (2+ / 0-)
      BroadwayBaby1, Mr Robert

Is that determinedly stupid, but it's a possibility.

My perspective is that the President dislikes gridlock to the extent it keeps him from trying to save corporatism from itself, but not to the extent that it keeps him from fighting corporatism, since he himself is manifestly a dedicated corporatist.

The idea in some parts that the President is either a victim of Wall Street, etc., or their hired man, is puzzling to me.  He never needed to be intimidated or bought.  He wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the Presidency if he had.

That's who he is.  He's not just one of them, he's the leader of the liberal faction of "them".  Apart from issues of political hygiene, gridlock is a tool to extend the interests of his and the Democratic party's patrons.

I'm not a Socialist because I want what's yours. I'm a Socialist because I want what's mine, and because I want other working people to have what's theirs.

by MrJayTee on Fri May 03, 2013 at 09:53:09 AM PDT

•  wouldn'cha just love to see his full hand? (0+ / 0-)

"Show up. Pay attention. Tell the truth. And don't be attached to the results." -- Angeles Arrien

by Sybil Liberty on Fri May 03, 2013 at 10:17:00 AM PDT

•  I've already seen it. (0+ / 0-)

by MrJayTee on Fri May 03, 2013 at 11:42:24 AM PDT

•  So. You're that certain? (1+ / 0-)
            Deep Texan

You've seen all the cards?

What about Matthew 7:1?

by Sybil Liberty on Fri May 03, 2013 at 11:52:39 AM PDT

•  There is a difference between using your judgment (0+ / 0-)

And being judgmental.  I take Matthew 7:1 to be about being judgmental, not simply using one's head.

Is there another perspective you had in mind?

I'd also like to know what significant cards you think are up the President's sleeve, which is what you seem to be implying.

by MrJayTee on Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:07:26 PM PDT

•  well, if I had actually seen ALL the cards (1+ / 0-)
                Deep Texan

the president has been dealt, then there might be cause for judgment (even in the biblical sense)

but I haven't

and neither have you

by Sybil Liberty on Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:12:44 PM PDT

•  Like what? (0+ / 0-)

We don't know ever single "card" there is, so we can't point out what's in front of our eyes?

Is there, for example, some big secret "card" that changes a friend of big money into a friend of the working person?

?????

by MrJayTee on Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:29:00 PM PDT

•  Herbert Hoover was an extremely intelligent (4+ / 0-)
        ferg, ichibon, MrJayTee, PhilJD

man of very humanitarian intentions who was intellectually hamstrung by his ideology.  PBO's ideology is less obvious because it's the intellectual ocean that almost all the Beltway and media VSP's swim in -- bipartisan neo-liberal capitalism.  (Hell, he apparently even takes Friedman & Bobo seriously.  What does THAT tell you?). As he himself has said, his policies are basically those of an old-fashioned moderate Republican.  So is his ideology.  What you get is what he sees through those ideological spectacles, even if they sometimes seem to be invisible.

"If you don't read the newspapers, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." -- M. Twain

by Oliver St John Gogarty on Fri May 03, 2013 at 10:59:01 AM PDT

•  oh, so then we're not questioning his courage (1+ / 0-)
      Deep Texan

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Racism (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site