View Diary: Republican obstruction, White House timidity, and a broken government (223 comments)

•  Booman makes some good points (3+ / 0-)
    Tony Situ, Deep Texan, Nannyberry

But after Sen. Toomey's latest confession of the  GOP agenda,  something clicked for me the way it never clicked before.

It isn't just  that the Repubs want to sabotage Obama's progressive ideas.  So  much policy that Obama has pushed  for had Repub  authorship on it anyway.  And it isn't that they want to prevent Obama from having another term - he can't have a third term.

There is a dark skinned man in the White House.  There is a man in the Whiite House that wants social justice for people of color, LGBT and others.

The Repubs HAVE to pull out all stops to shred Obama's credibility and legacy.  If history writes the dominant narrative of the Obama presidency as an intelligent man of color who not only governed as leader of the free world but did it far better than his predecessors, their bubble world implodes.  Their "natural  order of things" disappears.

Better to destroy the country in the hopes they can retake power in the chaos than admit the fear, hate and ignorance they nurture in their hearts.

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Fri May 03, 2013 at 10:45:49 AM PDT

•  I guess my point is (2+ / 0-)
      Tony Situ, Deep Texan

We as liberals should not underestimate the forces that Obama is up against.  This is primal stuff that hasn't seen this level of expression since the period before the Civil War.

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Fri May 03, 2013 at 10:55:20 AM PDT

•  I'm not sure that I ever underestimated it, (2+ / 0-)
        3goldens, JVolvo

but it sure as hell looks like PBO did.  Don't ask for as large an initial stimulus as is needed to really get the job done because you can always go back and get more later if the first proves not to be sufficient?  Are you shitting me?

"If you don't read the newspapers, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." -- M. Twain

by Oliver St John Gogarty on Fri May 03, 2013 at 11:51:25 AM PDT

•  um...with all due respect (2+ / 0-)
          Deep Texan, Satya1

"Show up. Pay attention. Tell the truth. And don't be attached to the results." -- Angeles Arrien

by Sybil Liberty on Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:26:45 PM PDT

•  I don't know ANYONE (0+ / 0-)

that  predicted the extent of blocking Repubs have been willing to do or the extent of damage to this country the Repubs have been willing to inflict.  This has gone way beyond the Gingrich shutdown.  Early during Obama's administration the prevailing CW among progressive analysts seemed to me to be that the Repubs wouldn't go there again.

There might be some predictions on the right, after all it is something they're open to and even planned on to some extent.  One can find websites on the right that are promoting far worse.

I know that is a popular view of the stimulus at DK, but I never bought into all the elements that led to that conclusion.  Looking at Sybil's link below it looks like I am not the only one.

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Fri May 03, 2013 at 03:27:27 PM PDT

•  Absolutely. "black-man-in-white-house" (3+ / 0-)
      Tony Situ, Deep Texan, Satya1

that was never gonna fly with those people

We pretty much knew that after the republicans
      plotted their obstructionist strategy before Obama's first inauguration ceremonies were even over.

Nevertheless, we-the-people elected him, duly elected him, not once, but twice.

by Sybil Liberty on Fri May 03, 2013 at 11:25:10 AM PDT

•  Oh we knew it (1+ / 0-)
        DSPS owl

but the depths of the amount of destruction and hardship they are willing to unleash on the American people?  The unprecedented dept ceiling hostage crisis?  The sequester?  The solid brick wall on appointments?  Nullification in some states?  The eagerness of Repub pols to turn their back on the wishes of their constituents on gun safety?  All the impact that has on people struggling to get by during the worst financial crisis in 70+ years?

Where does it stop and what limit will they reach before they begin to work for the country's welfare?

I wonder if what they want is armed confrontation among citizens in the street.  They're  pushing every fear button the right has and goading them to buy more and more arms.  And it will be "Obama's fault".

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Fri May 03, 2013 at 03:09:31 PM PDT

• Recommended (135)
  • Community (60)
  • 2016 (43)
  • Environment (39)
  • Elections (37)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Bernie Sanders (34)
  • Culture (33)
  • Hillary Clinton (27)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (24)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Labor (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Media (22)
  • Education (22)
  • GOP (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Affordable Care Act (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Texas (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site