View Diary: Discworld witches and changing your viewpoint (98 comments)

•  well we do agree that we should (1+ / 0-)
    Dr Erich Bloodaxe RN

always be aware of the privilidiges and 'hand outs' we get whether it's from race, gender, sexual orientation or class.

That said I think you make a major assumption that I haven't interacted outside of my race. Hell in my research group I was the only white guy there (one guy was from sri lanka, one from I think china not sure as he hardly ever talked, then there was an american of chinese descent, an african american and last me) and that largely is representative of my experiences in life, namely diverse. But at the same time let's be real here at least one of the people I worked with was there on a minority scholarship and I don't fault the guy for it. Utterly brillant and absolutely deserved to be there but I honestly can't call to mind a single time in my life that being 'white' has ever helped me much less been a privlidge. There's no scholarship for 'white males' or just 'white' and I know I am not the only with that experience.

And let me again reiterate I am not saying discrimination does not exist but at the same time at a certain point if we are ever to have an equal society we need to move past sexual orientation, gender and skin color. I get that that likely will not be popular but that's my opinion on the matter. Take it or leave or set it on fire I really don't care.

In the time that I have been given,
    I am what I am

by duhban on Fri May 03, 2013 at 03:27:26 PM PDT

•  Try this. (6+ / 0-)

Imagine reliving your life with the same family, same town, same living situation as you had from birth... only this time, you're black. Not your family, just you. Are you absolutely, positively, 100% sure that you would not have been treated any worse at any time than you have been treated in this life?

If you say yes... well, I won't say you're lying. But I would suggest that you're probably being naive.

Let us all have the strength to see the humanity in our enemies, and the courage to let them see the humanity in ourselves.

by Nowhere Man on Fri May 03, 2013 at 03:32:45 PM PDT

•  that's an impossible question to answer (1+ / 0-)
        Nowhere Man

that's like asking me to imagine my life if I was born to parents making 6 figures a year. I can't and neither can I imagine what would have happened in your senario.

My life was what it was and I am who I am today because of the sum of my experiences and I will not engage in a guessing game.

You can think that I am a liar or naive I really don't care.

In the time that I have been given,
        I am what I am

by duhban on Fri May 03, 2013 at 03:49:22 PM PDT

•  No, the answer you just gave is the correct one. (5+ / 0-)

Which means that when you wrote above that

all it means is that you've never been aware of such privilege. To claim or even imply that it hasn't impacted your life at all -- that would be naive.

by Nowhere Man on Fri May 03, 2013 at 04:08:07 PM PDT

•  actually there are 2 logical conclusions (0+ / 0-)

yours or that I simply have not had any such privilidges

Now I don't particularly feel like sharing the sum total of my life so I can't prove my statement but I stand by it. I can not think of a single time being 'white' gave me a privildge. I earned getting into a college prep high school on my grades and test scores. Which I continued to earn by working though high school on the summers. I earned getting into a really good college because of the high school I attended and my grades.

If you don't believe me that's okay, I can't say I blame you but I also don't want to go in circles

In the time that I have been given,
            I am what I am

by duhban on Fri May 03, 2013 at 04:18:37 PM PDT

•  While both are logically possible (6+ / 0-)

Occam's Razor points strongly in the direction of "you had privilege, but weren't aware of it." For example, it's great that you were able to earn your way through high school -- but that also implies that someone was willing and able to hire you. Unemployment among black teenagers has ranged as high as 43% in the last few years, about twice the rate for white teenagers. I don't know when you were a teen, but I'd bet the relative disparity was at least as high then. While this certainly isn't all about racism, per se, it still raises the question: If you could choose to be a white teen putting yourself through high school, or a black teen putting yourself through high school, which would you pick?

by Nowhere Man on Fri May 03, 2013 at 04:36:13 PM PDT

•  I know nothing about your life, so this isn't (6+ / 0-)

meant to comment on your particular, unique, life experience, but it is important to remember that there is now lots of evidence of white privilege that the individual would probably not be aware of.
              For example, statistically, in experiments, an essay that is submitted to two groups of evaluators, to one with a student name that sound "white" and to the other with a "black" sounding name, the essay gets a higher evaluation with the white sounding name.
              Many variations of this kind of experiment have been done, and it's statistically true.
              Again, this is a statistical truth, meaning it might NOT be true of any particular one person, but it will be true for the majority of people in any reasonable sized group.
              Hopefully there will come a time when it's no longer true, but that time isn't here yet.

•  That is exactly the point. (2+ / 0-)
          Oh Mary Oh, elginblt

It's impossible because you haven't ever tried to ponder the possibility.

•  The scholarship for whitemales is inherent in the (4+ / 0-)
      Nowhere Man, poco, Ahianne, Oh Mary Oh

wealth disparities in the country.  White households have, on average, something like 10-20 times as much wealth as households of colour.  I think it was supposedly something like 10 times before the Bush years, and 20 times after.  Recessions always hit the people who are 'on the edge' the hardest, and Bush economics wiped out decades of minority wealth growth.  Scholarships for minorities merely attempt to slightly make up for such disparities.  If and when we ever get to a point where the typical white household has significantly less wealth than that of persons of colour, then you can expect to see a push towards scholarships for white people.

•  well that's nice for those (0+ / 0-)

that are actually wealthy but for the vast majority of people of a 'white' descent that is about as helpful as a brick wall over an exit.

And yes on average 'white' has higher income then 'black' but a majority of that is education. I grew up around the upper class and rich (gotta love the jesusits only way middle class me was able to have the education I did) and let me tell you I saw just as many people with a lot of money that were white as black.

I have yet to see data showing an actual glass ceiling for minorities that doesn't come from education and yes I get that scholarships are meant to address that but then what about all those that are middle class that just happen to be white? I worked my way though high school (and not for fun money for tuition reduction) and though college. I easily had a 60 hour work week between classes, working so that I would owe just a little less and research and I managed it.

Sorry but as I said, my experiences line up more with the comment that prompted your diary.

In the time that I have been given,