View Diary: IAN: Good Morning, May 4, 2013! (26 comments)

•  Good Morning (6+ / 0-)

Rainy and misty again today. Temps expected to go up into the low 70's.

But.... we have furniture!

That's Bit in the living room, and Caedy and Sophie taking a nap on the couch in the computer/play room.  We couldn't put the couch in the living room because the room is too small and the lift chair/recliner needed to be up where Dad can reach it. The steps down into the computer room have no railing and they are slippy if you step wrong, so he stays out of this room. Also the couch is a pull out bed for guests, which works better down in this room.

We also got dining room chairs, a desk for me (no more tray table yay!), a coat rack I haven't figured out where to put yet, a hamper which doesn't fit in our bathroom but works great as stuffed animal storage for Bit, and a vacuum cleaner.

Itzl looks very cute in his top hat! Puttin' on the Ritz indeed :).

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:01:32 AM PDT

•  Wish you were closer... (4+ / 0-)

I've got two club chairs that need a home.  They are ugly as sin, but sit great and are indestructible.

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:02:24 AM PDT

•  Thanks (4+ / 0-)

I wish I was closer too, but more so I could meet up with more of you real life LOL. The two matching chairs in the living room are hand made antiques. I'm considering making new covers for the cushions though, they don't really go with everything else. The sofa works well because it pulls in the colors in the rest of the house, plus as the only big piece in this room there's less clashing. But yes, we're kind of 'second hand eclectic' in style, out of necessity :).

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:12:52 AM PDT

•  Mom used to call our decor (4+ / 0-)

"Early Salvation Army."  The only piece of new furniture I can recall growing up was my piano.  We'd have kept the old upright but it was a piece of crap when we got it, for free, of course.  :-)

by luckylizard on Sat May 04, 2013 at 12:03:23 PM PDT

•  I call it (3+ / 0-)

"Roadside Reject" because most of our furniture was scavenged curbside from things people were throwing away.

College apartment complexes used to provide the best furniture and accessories as they graduated and moved to real houses and real furniture.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Sat May 04, 2013 at 12:58:56 PM PDT

•  I love big trash day! (3+ / 0-)

My roommate and I used to cruise the neighborhoods looking for good stuff.  We didn't get a lot of furniture but we got all kinds of other things to reuse and re-purpose.

One year, we got two dozen tomato cages.  I'd never used a tomato cage in my life because it was silly to buy them when I could use sticks and tie the vines.  Felt like I'd died and gone to heaven.  :-)

We also got two wicker rockers for the porch.  I retied the springs and spray painted them blue.  We found some cheap cushions and became porch sitters/rockers.

by luckylizard on Sat May 04, 2013 at 03:56:17 PM PDT