View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.11 (342 comments)

•  Thanks so much, J! (3+ / 0-)
    kishik, welso, jayden

As Stix said, there's a lot of space, and it can be a bit of a challenge to figure out how to fill it in and maintain it.  Of course i didn't share the side beds, which are still a carpet of weeds at this point.  I know i'm not unique when i say the garden is a work in progress. :)

The square corner.  There's actually a baby Wine and Roses Weigela in that spot, but the photograph failed to capture its Bacchus inspired foliage.  The "mother" plant in the center of the bed seems to be suffering this year, with over half the branches stuck in apparent dormancy.  A winter hang over?  Possibly.  I may have to wake it up with my pruners.  Beyond that, i plan to add a few more clusters of pineapple sage (one cluster came back this year but i'm greedy for more) and some Black and Blue Salvia (they didn't survive the winter).  Actually, none of the other perennials originally planted survived the winter.  The original intent of that bed was the attraction of hummingbirds and honey bees, so i'll see what strikes me at the garden center.

Those white bushes in the front bed are pieris japonica (Welso's got one too!).  I was toying with the notion of shaping them up a bit, but as it turns out, the flower are full of Spring nectar for the honey bees (anther hubby photo below).  So, i'm going to leave them alone.  I do so love the honey bees.

Your always so generous with your words.  It makes me feel good.

Thanks, J.

•  :( (3+ / 0-)
      welso, estreya, jayden

my black and blue didn't survive the winter either.

sigh... now I have to be on the hunt for them... AGAIN.  They do so fabulously in the sun...

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Mon May 06, 2013 at 02:38:43 PM PDT

•  Bummer about the perennials. (2+ / 0-)
      blueoasis, estreya

I love pineapple sage, especially the chartreuse variety.

I thought black and blue sage was much more hardy; that stuff is tough. Last summer I ripped mine out and gave the bulby roots/tubers/corms(?) to my neighbor Ms. Hugelkultur. It spreads like a weed but it wasn't blooming very well for me so of course when she planted the roots I gave her ( after she left them lying around for more than a month ) the damned things flourished and bloomed like there's no frickin' tomorrow.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Tue May 07, 2013 at 03:51:50 PM PDT

•  Maybe i just picked the wrong ones for ... (2+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, jayden

... that particular bed?  Maybe it was because i put the drip lines in so late, so they weren't properly hydrated throughout the season?  Maybe, maybe, maybe.  There's a lot of maybies in gardening.

•  PS: What an obnoxious little sage! (1+ / 0-)
          jayden

It's like it went "neener neener" at you from afar!

•  PPS: At least the Chocolate Cosmos ... (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, jayden

... in the front bed came up, cause they were pricey, as you found out yourself.  How are yours doing?

•  They're not blooming as profusely (2+ / 0-)
              estreya, RiveroftheWest

as when I first planted them but they seem to be coming along nicely otherwise. If I see any available again I'm definitely buying more!

I read somewhere that black and blue sage does not like being wet in winter; that the roots rot very easily when they're dormant.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Tue May 07, 2013 at 07:54:26 PM PDT

•  AHHH! I'll bet that's what happened. (2+ / 0-)
                RiveroftheWest, jayden

Even though we put a French Drain in, it can still get pretty soupy back there in the winter months.

•  Perhaps perennials that don't mind (3+ / 0-)
                  estreya, wayoutinthestix, blueoasis

moist conditions will work well in that spot?

I had a similar situation when I lived on the north side. My neighbor over-irrigated so much that the swale between our properties was always wet. Everything I had originally planted there died. I ended up planting elephant ears and umbrellas plants because both can withstand wet conditions and shade.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Thu May 09, 2013 at 07:23:24 AM PDT

•  Well, one of the perennials i thought was ... (3+ / 0-)
                    jayden, wayoutinthestix, blueoasis

... dead MAY have a touch of growth coming out from the base (i can't remember what it's called).  Plus, there used to be a carpet of wild strawberries in that bed (purposeful) but the runners got so tedious (and they were so hard to weed around), i ripped them all out in early Spring.  So that bed is just kind of a mess.  I'm going to keep trying, though, and you're right - i should buy things that don't mind dry bones in summer, wet feet in winter.

Speaking of early Spring, one of the forsythia twigs i saved from the little bouquet i brought home from the grocery a few weeks back has a root sprouting!  A white root popping out into the water.  I'm so excited, i could bust.

•  Damn it's hard to keep up with you guys. (2+ / 0-)
      estreya, RiveroftheWest

You're all as busy as bees.  :D

There's a lot of cool pics and comments I don't see until it's too late to rec.  Oh, I know the recs aren't essential, but I hate, hate, hate not to be able to rec stuff I really like.

The honey bees always worry me a bit until they arrive.  I like the bumblers too and their ranks were down last year.  No many so far but the insects are all late.  I haven't seen a single butterfly or moth, though surely a few have been around.

"It's May! It's May! The lusty month of May! Those dreary vows that ev'ryone makes, Ev'ryone breaks. Ev'ryone makes divine mistakes! The lusty month of May!" - Lerner and Lowe

by blueoasis on Tue May 07, 2013 at 04:23:29 PM PDT

•  Have you seen J's butterfly videos? (2+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, blueoasis

They make quite an impression.  They're so ethereal that they would seem otherworldly if not for the fact that you can almost feel yourself standing in his garden.

•  Yes, great effects. (3+ / 0-)
          estreya, jayden, wayoutinthestix

Unfortunately, the camera and I have never achieved a close compatibility.  Lots of outstanding work in SMGB and other diaries throughout the site.

by blueoasis on Wed May 08, 2013 at 10:06:39 AM PDT

•  My cameras does all the work. (3+ / 0-)
            estreya, wayoutinthestix, blueoasis

I just aim and click. And click a few hundred more times in hopes that at least one will turn out well enough to share.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Thu May 09, 2013 at 07:24:49 AM PDT

•  Hey, looks like you're likely to get rain (3+ / 0-)
              estreya, jayden, kishik

shortly.  We got three-quarters of an inch from this system.
              Hope you get to do your rain dance.  Just try not to encounter any monster snails!!!

by blueoasis on Thu May 09, 2013 at 06:04:10 PM PDT

•  I was channeling kishik today. (3+ / 0-)
                estreya, blueoasis, kishik

In between getting ready for a meeting I dashed off to the garden center to buy more "filler stuff" and then hurried home and frantically planted it all as fast as I could so that it would be in place for any rain we might get. Then I finished prepping for the meeting, jumped in the shower, and rushed out the door to my appointment.

We're supposed to get anywhere from 1" to 2" in the next couple of days. There's a 70% chance of rain tomorrow. Right now there's thunder and lightning south of me and we just had a brief light drizzle but that's been it so far.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons