View Diary: First 3D Printed Gun a Reality (58 comments)

•  A Liberator pistol (5+ / 0-)

is no AR15! The ability to build a plastic gun isn't new, for at least a decade it has been possible to build a crude weapon without any significant metal.

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. Franklin D. Roosevelt

by notrouble on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:38:51 PM PDT

•  What's new is that I can go download the files (6+ / 0-)

and build one myself. One that gets around all of the current laws, or future laws. A gun that won't register on a metal detector.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:40:38 PM PDT

•  What laws does it "get around"? (3+ / 0-)
        annieli, noway2, oldpunk

I'm betting it won't work with a printed barrel.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Fri May 03, 2013 at 09:12:39 PM PDT

•  It's not the barrel that is they key (2+ / 0-)
          oldpunk, PavePusher

It is the (lower) receiver, which is the only serialized and regulated part.  One can get barrels, pistol slides, magazines, and everything else easily enough.  Things like magazines are already mostly plastic.

Attempting to restrict the availability of guns through regulating manufacturers will work about as well as trying to stop Internet piracy by the defeated SOPA act.  In other words, you can't because people can do it themselves.  In the case of guns, it is also legal to make your own firearm; just not to sell.

•  Yup (3+ / 0-)

I dream of the day all crooks have 3D printed guns...thhe jams, the low firing rate, the innacuracy, and the potential for exploding in their hands....

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:41:46 PM PDT

•  Ps (3+ / 0-)
        annieli, wilderness voice, NYFM

The fact that there is already a undetectable firearms act kinda shows that plastic guns aren't all that new.

by Empty Vessel on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:47:03 PM PDT

•  although carbon fiber barrels make it interesting (6+ / 0-)
          AoT, RUNDOWN, ban nock, JayFromPA, NYFM, noway2
          There is no such thing as an all plastic Glock! And there is no such thing as a porcelain or ceramic Glock. All Glocks are made from polymer and steel, and always have been. This rumor might have gotten started (or maybe fueled) by a line from Bruce Willis in the movie 'Die Hard 2: Die Harder': "That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month." This is, of course, complete nonsense. A word to the wise: Don't believe everything you hear in a movie!

Here is a quote from the Book “Handguns 2000”, in an article entitled “The Century’s 10 Most Influential Pistols” (naturally, the Glock made the list), starting on page 30:  “With the Glock’s introduction came an outcry from stupid politicians and ignorant news reporters that this was a ‘Plastic Pistol’ designed to defeat Metal Detectors and Airport X-Ray Scanners. The Slide, Barrel, and Springs used to build the Glock Pistol are ALL made of STEEL, and will set off a metal detector just as surely as any other firearm”.

Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 - Public Law 100-649; 18 U.S.C. 922

This 1988 legislation banned the production and sale of any guns that are undetectable by metal detectors and X-ray machines (ie: the mythical all plastic gun). The NRA helped to rewrite this law so as to narrow its scope, and exclude detectable polymer framed handguns like the Glock 17, the Taurus Millennium, and the Springfield XD. These pistols are now in common use throughout America by police departments, and civilians for concealed carry. So, even if there were an ‘all plastic’ gun somewhere out there, it would be totally ILLEGAL to Own!

Warning - some snark above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 "I’m not the strapping young Muslim socialist that I used to be" - Barack Obama 04/27/2013

by annieli on Fri May 03, 2013 at 05:51:10 PM PDT

•  1988 (2+ / 0-)
            NYFM, BvueDem

I remember when this was all happening.  The NRA position was that only trace amounts of a detectable metal should be required.  Airports would just have to increase the sensitivity of their magnetometers.  Of course, things like zippers, some metal buttons, possibly braces, etc would also set them off.  The NRA eventually signed on to the "compromise" that was finally passed.  That marked the end of my support of, and the beginning of my opposition to, the NRA.  I am still pissed at them over their original stance, and the idiotic ads they and their co-conspirators ran.  BTW, I've owned and used firearms since my 12th birthday, when my father bought me my first shotgun.  And I still have it, no cold dead hands needed.

And on the sensitivity of magnetometers, I remember flying from Washington National some time around the late 1990s.  I got stopped, removed everything metal in my pockets (including my Bic lighter).  I set it off again.  I told the agent the only other thing metallic was the zipper in my pants.  He asked if I had any chewing gum.  To my puzzled expression, he said sometimes the foil-ized paper set them off.  I put my pack of cigarettes in the tray and went through without setting it off.  Talk about a mis-calibrated magnetometer.

Government can't restrict free speech, but corporations can? WTF

by kyoders on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:55:52 PM PDT

•  Correction (2+ / 0-)
              annieli, NYFM

I think it was my thirteenth birthday.  And my comments above weren't directed specifically at you, more to preempt anyone wanting to call me a gun hater.  I'm far from it.

Government can't restrict free speech, but corporations can? WTF

by kyoders on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:00:07 PM PDT

•  I do not recall ever hearing of any firearm... (2+ / 0-)
          annieli, noway2

that was "undetectable", outside of bad fiction or science fiction.

That was a really classic example of ignorant panic on the part of our government.

Just think... the same people are in charge of our health care.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Fri May 03, 2013 at 09:15:00 PM PDT

•  Sure, right now they suck (2+ / 0-)
        ban nock, BvueDem

But the more people make these the better they'll get. Printing these things is completely legal and fairly easy. The plans for the AR15 lower mean that you can get all the parts for the AR15 and then print the lower and there's no regulations on it.

by AoT on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:08:37 PM PDT

•  Not my area of expertise (3+ / 0-)
        Empty Vessel, wilderness voice, NYFM

Everyone I've heard from with gunsmithing or engineering knowledge agrees that a plastic barrel is a deadly blunder.

Freedom isn't free. Patriots pay taxes.

by Dogs are fuzzy on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:26:20 PM PDT

•  I think the more interesting (2+ / 0-)
          Dogs are fuzzy, Hirodog

Question is whether they could use a 3D printer to make the jigs for making halfway decent guns using fairly typical metalworking equipment.  Anyone with a halfway good metal shop could already make an OK gun, with precision jigs, they might be better.

by Empty Vessel on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:38:28 PM PDT