View Diary: Wondering about my personal future (52 comments)

•  I have never been asked (3+ / 0-)
    Words In Action, dizzydean, catilinus

a number of years ago, when kos still submitted nominations for one-year stints, I was probably as strongly recommended by the community as anyone.  In the official nomination diary I put up a comment noting that I was not sure my writing style was suitable for the Front Page.  That may or may not still be true.

It is worth noting that not everyone who appears on the front page is on salary.  I do not know if the featured writers are compensated.

Before Laura Clawson began writing on education, I suppose one could have made an argument that I could have filled that front page role on an occasional basis.  Although Laura has not to my knowledge ever taught in a k-12 setting, she understands the issues very well and does a superb job of covering them.

As far as total Recs, that is more a product of two factors

1.  I have been here as long as most people still active
    2.  FPers used to not be able to get recs for pieces on the front page.  I fully expect Meteor Blades to pass me in the near future.
    3.  There are others with far more mojo than me, because they write far more comments than I do.  I rarely am on the first page of people listed with mojo.
    4. It is true that the only ones followed more than me are Keith Olbermann and Meteor Blades, but I think that is also a product of how long I have been here, and how many diaries I have posted.  I think all those who have posted more diaries have access to the front page.

I have appeared on the front page 3 times.  Once Armando promoted one of my pieces.  Twice Markos did - for the education panel at the first yearlykos and for one of the first reviews of the first book he did by himself.

I have had my work listed in green diary rescue when I have written on the environment.

Occasionally when i have written about a topic before a FPer does, they will link back to the discussion thread on what i have posted.

It is Markos's site.   If he saw a reason to put me on the front page, he could do so.

I am certainly not complaining about lack of attention.  When I began writing this comment, this diary was on the rec list, and so was my piece from yesterday on Pete Seeger's 94th birthday.  I have twice had 3 pieces on the rec list at a time.  I'm not sure I would necessarily get more attention for being on the front page.

That said, were I asked if I wanted to be there, I would certainly consider it.

I am not expecting it.

Peace.

"We didn't set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people's hearts." - Pema Chodron

by teacherken on Sat May 04, 2013 at 06:13:46 AM PDT

•  Current frontpagers don't bore w/ their neti pots (0+ / 0-)

and sinus problems....
      I know you've got lots of problems and soul search out the whazoo to the point of utter narcissism, but have you ever considered that many of the
      peeps that post here have problems that are awful and we would never consider sharing?

3/16/2003 Meet The Press: Dick Cheney re: Iraq: We will be greeted as liberators.

by cosette on Sat May 04, 2013 at 08:04:10 PM PDT

•  boy, you are a bit snippy (0+ / 0-)

I was answering someone else who suggested I be on the front page.  I have not suggested it, but was giving the courtesy of a response to a thoughtful comment.

And if you don't like what I write no one is making you read it.

Many people here share their health issue.

Perhaps you had better not read the next diary I post updating the community about my wife.

by teacherken on Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:36:26 PM PDT

•  Do you realize how often you repeat yourself? (0+ / 0-)

How many times have you 'shared' why you're not going to be a front pager?
          I am sorry that your wife had a medical problem and hope she'll fully recover.
          Most of us do not share intimate details of our health/employment issues here.
          They're probably just as bad; unresolved; un-insured or cobra'd as your wife's.
          It galls me that you post ad nauseum about anything that enters your head....and it gets rec'd up.
          If even a small percentage of the posters here diaried what you do...the site would cease to exist.

by cosette on Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:52:01 PM PDT

•  that it galls you is your problem not mine (0+ / 0-)

that others like some of what I write is sufficient justification

I have been asked to continue to post about my wife, because many in this community care about her and about me.

No one makes you read my diaries.

by teacherken on Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:02:17 PM PDT

•  Because I and many choose not to lard up this site (0+ / 0-)

with our personal problems: health/employment/money/angst...we are not cared about.
              Got it.

by cosette on Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:07:54 PM PDT

•  The personal can be political (1+ / 0-)
                teacherken

Were you cosetted? This site is a community: cat pictures make me smile, pet death diaries make me wonder why we don't cry for starving children, grieving diaries help make me human, ken's diaries always make me think. I think you have causality backwards, but 'nuff said.

I'm from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party