View Diary: Whither the Drug War in Mexico (38 comments)

•  Massive Manipulation in Mexico (5+ / 0-)

Composite polling had Pena Nieto ahead of the center-left candidate, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, by 20% points.

Final results had Nieto beating AMLO by 7% points.

EPN is the leader of Mexico because the Mexican Oligarchy wants the status quo.

Do I blame the US for Mexico's drug problems?

Of course not.

Just research how many former PRI governors have been investigated by the US Justice Department for partnering with NarcoTraffickers.

In fact, a good friend of Pena Nieto, Jorge Hank of Baja California, can't even enter the US because of his ties to NarcoTraffickers.

Learn about Centrist Economics, learn about Robert Rubin's Hamilton Project. www.hamiltonproject.org

by PatriciaVa on Sat May 04, 2013 at 12:40:07 PM PDT

•  Raul Salinas, brother of former president Carlos (5+ / 0-)

Salinas is said to have openly made a deal with the Sinaloa cartel promising no interference as long as the cartel supported Salinas for president. He was later found to have hundreds of millions of dollars stashed in Switzerland while never having had a salary which would support saving such funds.

Governors of many Mexican states have either been imprisoned or killed, going back years before Calderon started open warfare across the country.

Presidential candidates from other parties have been assassinated so the PRI could stay in power.  EPN is a pretty new face on an old corrupt organization.  He's helpfully stupid, like "W" was, which helps clear the way for the real power brokers to wring money from the nation.

by YucatanMan on Sat May 04, 2013 at 03:18:40 PM PDT

•  I do, however, disagree with this part: (9+ / 0-)
      Do I blame the US for Mexico's drug problems?

Of course not.

Those governors and presidents and numerous top officials are involved because the sums of money are too vast to ignore.  If the demand for drugs in the USA weren't so enormous, the flow through Mexico wouldn't be what it is and the profits wouldn't be there.

Huge quantities of drugs - tons of cocaine for example - are not arriving in the USA just to sit on street corners in piles with carnival barkers trying to convince people to try them.

The demand is an enormous suction north, with Americans ready and willing to buy all that is made available.

The War on Drugs is a vast failure 40 years on. Drugs are as cheap as ever and as widely available as ever before.  Any high school kid can tell you who's selling pot.

The whole adventure would be comical if not for the fact that the federal government has put priorities into the WOD rather than programs which could really help people -- like treatment clinics -- and the fact that so many deaths both in the USA and Mexico have come about because of this foolhardy policy choice.

Both Mexico and the USA are now filled with militarized police and the security state has already been installed.

by YucatanMan on Sat May 04, 2013 at 03:24:27 PM PDT

•  Mexican govt officials make far more than their... (2+ / 0-)
        gravlax, YucatanMan

..US counterparts.

For example, the Chief Justice of the Mexican Supreme Court makes 650K per year, compared to Chief Justice Roberts' 220K per year.  Mexican Senators (120 of them, compared to 100 in US) and Representatives (500 of them, compared to 435 in US) also earn far more than their US counterparts.

You say,

I ask, how many US Senators or Reps have been ensnared by the drug trade?

by PatriciaVa on Sat May 04, 2013 at 03:51:09 PM PDT

•  Are you sure those salaries are translated (2+ / 0-)
          gravlax, PatriciaVa

from MX Pesos into US Dollars?

For example, the President of Mexico receives roughly $200,000 US dollars per year.

I cannot find the others just now, but am sure that those figures seem too high to me. I could be mistaken, but I've never seen such high sums (as official pay) in years of reading Mexican newspapers.

Fox famously became the first Mexican president to disclose his total income (not just salary) and it was still only $400,000 per year.  Fox led a transparency campaign which was fairly successful. (I'm sure you know, Patricia, I'm only mentioning it for other readers who may not).

Fox's salary in 2002 was around $160,000 US dollars per year.

by YucatanMan on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:12:12 PM PDT

•  Silva Meza makes 6.1M pesos a year (2+ / 0-)
            gravlax, YucatanMan

6.1M at 12 pesos to dollar is..

US 508K per year.

Not as high as I thought, but 2x what Chief Roberts makes.

And John Roberts presides over a country of 312M, while Silva Meza over 112M.

Juan Silva Meza, presidente de la Suprema Corte de Justicia de la Nación.

Sueldo mensual bruto: 356 mil 242 pesos.

Aguinaldo: 494 mil pesos.

Ayuda de anteojos: 3 mil 100 pesos.

Estímulo del día de la madre: mil pesos.

Remuneración bruta anual: 6 millones 118 mil pesos.

My numbers regarding Mexican Senators and Reps may have been off, however, and I apologize.

by PatriciaVa on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:45:14 PM PDT

•   I don't think you're far off from what I've (2+ / 0-)
              gravlax, PatriciaVa

found.  I suppose the concept with the enormous salary of the Chief Justice is to insure immunity from corruption, but I assume governors have both more opportunity and motivation for corruption, since so many of them have been involved in rather ugly situations.

Unless he was released without my noticing, the former governor of Quintana Roo (known to most Americans as the state where Cancun is located) is imprisoned for his involvement with drug cartels.

by YucatanMan on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:51:26 PM PDT

•  Patricia is correct: (3+ / 0-)
          gravlax, ozsea1, rlochow

President of Mexico is paid ~ $250,000 per year.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court ~ $500,000 per year.

Congressional Senator ~  $165,000 per year. (Federal Senator)
          Congressional Representative ~ $ 130,00 per year.  (Deputy)

Other cabinet secretaries make more than the Congress and close to what the President is paid, including the head of the elections commission (IFE) and INEGI (sort of the national statistics keeping organization - similar to the Census and US National Geographic Survey in one).

Found at "Ministers Paid More than President"

Calderon had proposed a bill (which I paid not much attention to but thought had passed) which said no one could make more than the president. But that must not have gotten anywhere, since these salaries still seem to be in effect from what I can find online just now.

If there are other links, I'm happy to see them.

by YucatanMan on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:48:24 PM PDT

•  Exactly correct. (4+ / 0-)

Without billions from affluent U.S. suburban teens, rural meth users and urban cocaine & heroin 'customers', without the massive 'premium' added due to the illegal nature of the product, Mexico's drug gangs would wither into irrelevance.

So we're funding both sides in the 'war on drugs'.

Mission Accomplished!