View Diary: Review: Samsung Galaxy Note II (98 comments)

•  I don't know how everyone can have and (9+ / 0-)

like these huge phones. I don't get it.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:41:59 AM PDT

•  Even though I prefer a smaller phone (4+ / 0-)
      ColoTim, BusyinCA, weck, Avila

I went from old style soapbar phone to the Galaxy - about 3x the size the tools that are now available outweigh holding a "laptop" to my ear.

If all you need / want is a phone I agree with you.

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. Frank Zappa

by Da Rock on Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:52:03 AM PDT

•  if all you want is a "phone" (5+ / 0-)
      pdxteacher, quill, BachFan, JVolvo, Avila

then it's needlessly big.  But if you want a smart phone . . . well . . . no phone is "smart" if the display is not big enough.  I've had a "Note" (the original) since they were new and it's a better kindle than "Kindle", a better pad than "iPad", the GPS maps are big enough to read, the camera (while not as good as my LUMIX) is as good as many point-and-shoots and it's a great phone too.  And the "keyboard" is big enough to actually use.  As far as I can tell the Note II is just . . . better.

But if you want to carry a kindle and/or a pad and a gps and a camera and a phone as separates then the Note is bigger than needed for the "phone only" functions.

Still, for size overall it's both smaller and lighter that the handset alone on the Western Electric Model 302 that I grew up with or the Model 500 that I had for most of my life . . . neither of which would have fit in my pocket like the Note (even without the wire-to-the-wall).

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sat May 04, 2013 at 11:04:19 AM PDT

•  this (3+ / 0-)
        Deward Hastings, JVolvo, Avila

I bought this specific phone because it combines all of these things and more into the smallest reasonable package so that I don't have to lug all of that shit around instead.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce - Karl Marx

by quill on Sat May 04, 2013 at 11:46:38 AM PDT

•  My iPhone 4S is a smartphone (1+ / 0-)
        Avila

And just the right size because it fits in my shirt pocket.

{Not a sigline. You are hallucinating.}

by koNko on Sat May 04, 2013 at 07:27:29 PM PDT

•  at least it does (0+ / 0-)

something well.

But where do you carry the iPad that you had to buy to do all the other things a Note does?

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun May 05, 2013 at 02:07:08 AM PDT

•  It does most things well (0+ / 0-)

And I particularly like the simplicity and regular OS updates. Not perfect, but does what I want/need and the build quality is really excellent, and it does just about anything I would with a notebook, only smaller. And that's the thing with iOS, majority of apps for tablets also work on phones because developers don't have to struggle with drivers and optimization for hundreds of devices.

I don't carry "my" iPad anywhere, my daughter takes care of that. I'm thinking about getting an iPad mini when Apple adds a Retina display, and figure that is how I can get my iPad back.

I'm reasonably sure consumers will have at least 4 choices in the future, iOS, Android, Windows and Linux (probably Ubuntu,  not Firefox).

And that's good. To each his/her own. Everyone wins.

{Not a sigline. You are hallucinating.}

by koNko on Sun May 05, 2013 at 06:40:19 AM PDT

•  Android apps (1+ / 0-)
              koNko

are "portable" too, for people who want to carry both a phone and a pad.  Not an issue in any case for Note owners.  The difference between your iPhone's 3.5" display and the 5.3 (5.5 for Note II) of the Note is that the larger display makes it actually practical to use the device as a kindle or pad substitute (no magnifying glass required, even for the small print).

If those functions don't matter to you (or your daughter is always handy with your "accessory" kit) then there's no reason not to be happy with your iPhone.  And when you actually want those functions you can always buy another Apple product (like the iPad mini) to provide them.

What pocket will you carry it in?

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun May 05, 2013 at 08:08:08 AM PDT

•  I'm happy with my smaller phone (0+ / 0-)

And don't find it a limitation.

If I somehow managed to get a tablet, I'd carry it in my backpack along with my PC, which is a lot bigger and heavier, and mainly use it on airplanes while traveling (which I do constantly) because you can use a tablet but not a phone on most airlines.

Otherwise, I really don't have much need for one because I use  my phone or PC for most tasks and it would be redundant.

But in our lab, tablets are very popular working tools. Majority are iPads but we have a couple of people using Samsung and one guy has a Windows RT (not impressed).

{Not a sigline. You are hallucinating.}

by koNko on Sun May 05, 2013 at 09:12:38 PM PDT

•  I have the Galaxy S III and can just use it with (1+ / 0-)
      Avila

one hand.

But, I actually use two hands most often and find that natural.

My Uncle's Note II looks marvelous next to my smaller (but still bigger-sized) phone and is so much easier to read for older eyes, without having to tweak font sizes, resolution, etc.

Tradeoffs.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Sat May 04, 2013 at 08:37:46 PM PDT