View Diary: A crazy man with a "fighting rifle" (133 comments)

•  I watched the video (23+ / 0-)

and as always with these kind of police shootings one thing stood out for me.

People who are trained for gunfighting always seem to miss their targets during actual gun fights. They get hours upon hours of training and yet when faced with return fire very few of their shots hit the target.

Inspite of this I always here the yahoo NRAers on talk radio and the like talk about how "if I had been there with a gun I would have put one between the eyes of the shooter."

It would be funny except that these Dirty Harry wannabes are never called on that, too many people believe that what they see on Hawaii 5-0 and the like is real and these people are actually winning the gun control fight at every turn.

Most of the people taking a hard line against us are firmly convinced that they are the last defenders of civilization... The last stronghold of mother, God, home and apple pie and they're full of shit! David Crosby, Journey Thru the Past.

by Mike S on Sat May 04, 2013 at 02:35:07 PM PDT

•  I watched a good news show (8+ / 0-)

The show covered a little undercover journalism bit they did.

If I recall correctly, there were people in a class.  One of them had been told that something would happen.  He was given a pistol.  He wasn't told WHEN something would happen.  So the intruder breaks in, everyone freaks out...

Of course, the person with the gun in the class never was able to kill the shooter.  They were given paint ball guns, so they could see where the shots hit.

In fact, the person actually shot their classmates on accident.

I don't remember what the show was. It was some normal news magazine show.  Some of the people had a large amount of experience with guns.

Even with daily practice in good conditions, the police don't hit their targets either many times. Even then, a police officer is supposed to be aware of any disturbances at all times.  So, the officer should be more prepared than your regular schmoe in the crowd.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Sat May 04, 2013 at 03:42:34 PM PDT

•  It's hard to hit anything with a handgun (3+ / 0-)
        mookins, Dirtandiron, Dogs are fuzzy

when the target is more than 20' away. This nut had a long gun, but apparently (and fortunately) was too freaked out to take aim.

Did you ver notice how har it is totype accurately on an iPad?

by RudiB on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:09:14 PM PDT

•  Cops Often Shoot Right Into The Ground (2+ / 0-)
          mookins, RudiB

They simply lose track of the front sight and will dump half a clip into the ground a couple yards in front of them.

The best pistol shot I ever made was hitting a soda can dead center with a 22 revolver with a 4" barrel at 100 yards on the first shot. I said "Well that's it. I'm ready to go home."

With the same gun I could hit golf balls at 20 ft without using the sights by shooting at them on a dusty road.  It was about as hard as hitting it with a laser pointer.

There’s always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby

by bernardpliers on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:31:46 PM PDT

•  He just sprayed bullets around, just like they (5+ / 0-)

do in the movies.  He didn't actually take any aim at all.

Which is to say, too many people think life is like a movie or video game. The reality is a heck of a lot different.

by YucatanMan on Sat May 04, 2013 at 05:29:21 PM PDT

•  I don't know if that's correct. (0+ / 0-)

To me, when I watched it, it looked like his first volley was aimed squarely at the driver's seat of the cruiser, where I believe Officer Savage was still sitting. That may have given Officer Thomas the split second she needed to move toward cover and begin returning fire.

"Speaking for myself only" - Armando

by JR on Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:12:04 PM PDT

•  I saw that too. (3+ / 0-)
        mookins, Dirtandiron, OleHippieChick

Of course the problem is that that was a study so we know that those things can't be trusted.

Everyone on the right thikns that they would be like the kids in Red Dawn.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Mike S on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:13:34 PM PDT

•  Actually the people who were trained hit their (4+ / 0-)

target multiple times. I think I counted nine hits in a row. They all try to spend some time but it's often not hours and hours. I thought they did real well. It's true they were getting fired upon but I thought they gave a lot better than they got, and hand guns are harder to be accurate with even if that AK only had an 18" barrel.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Sat May 04, 2013 at 03:43:50 PM PDT

•  Which is why.... (1+ / 0-)
      Dirtandiron

there is a pushback on 10 rd magazines for people who are concerned with self-defense...anybody who is halfway familiar with a gun knows this...

Even Law Enforcement will tell you that when they are in a gunfight they miss their target more than they hit it...

If you watch the video, the officer didn't really start hitting the mark until the guy was falling on the ground

•  There was a similar case recently (2+ / 0-)
      libnewsie, Dirtandiron

Which had a guy with a rifle shooting at cops from behind a tree.  Some old guy came out of his house with a 357 revolver and from several houses away shot the gunman about three times.

I used to be able to hit soda cans with some consistency at 100 yards with a pistol, but that translates to an effective range of 25 yards when hunting.

There’s always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby

• Law (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Marriage Equality (14)
  • Racism (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site