View Diary: Sunday All Day Brunch: Kitchen Gadgets (71 comments)

•  Besides my good knives... (8+ / 0-)

I'd have to go with my glassware. Lots of Pyrex and Anchor-Hocking dishes... from pretty small veggie bowls to ones with high domed lids big enough to do roasts and whole chickens ...
    piepans for quiche...
    loaf pans for meatloaf and deepdish augratin.
    Oh, and loads of stainless mixing bowls.
    And my black iron ware.
    Criminey... I just love to cook.

All sane people detest noise. Mark Twain

by Man Oh Man on Sun May 05, 2013 at 08:44:29 AM PDT

•  Same here (6+ / 0-)

I've got lots of old Pyrex baking dishes in various shapes and sizes which I use a fair bit. They are a nice compliment to my enameled cast iron baking dishes.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:16:40 AM PDT

•  Most Useful (6+ / 0-)

I have a bunch of the little Pyrex custard type dishes that I use when I cook especially stir fry. I mix the spices etc. in them so everything is all measured out and I don't have to stop.

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." Oscar Wilde

by michelewln on Sun May 05, 2013 at 12:18:05 PM PDT

•  Mise en plase (2+ / 0-)
          vgranucci, michelewln

I do that every time. I always have everything prepped and measured out before I start to cook. That way I don't find that I've forgotten something important after it's too late. It's very important and I think that all good cooks would agree it's the right way.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sun May 05, 2013 at 12:48:43 PM PDT

•  plase -> place n/t (2+ / 0-)
            vgranucci, michelewln

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sun May 05, 2013 at 12:49:21 PM PDT

•  It Is The Best Way to Cook (2+ / 0-)
            Mr Robert, vgranucci

I find it so much easier to cook that way. I go through my recipes and have it everything ready to go. That way if I'm interrupted I don't have to try and guess whether or not I put something in.

by michelewln on Sun May 05, 2013 at 01:01:45 PM PDT

•  If you've got a local restaurant supply store... (4+ / 0-)

...you can buy those little glass prep bowls real cheap.  I've got a bunch in different sizes.  They're especially good for things like stir-fry, where most of your time is spent prepping the ingredients and when you start cooking you need to add things rapidly.  The only downside I've found is that they're a bit small for the dishwasher so I end up hand-washing them.

•  I use these little plastic bowls (4+ / 0-)
                michelewln, Bill W, SteelerGrrl, vgranucci

when I prep ingredients. I got them at Walmart on sale for pennies and I wish I'd bought more of them.

They are marked "Top Rack Dishwasher Safe" and I've washed them many times on the top rack of my dishwasher. They aren't microwave safe, but that's not a problem since I just use them as prep bowls.

I also like them because they are so light weight.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sun May 05, 2013 at 01:59:30 PM PDT