View Diary: Out of their Damn Minds: NRA says 'Keep a gun in your child's room'. (203 comments)

•  This was what leaped out to me. (22+ / 0-)
    Rob Pincus, a former police officer who now heads up his own firearms instruction company
    Part of the fail here is that the primary reason the bad guy(s) would go for kids are major mental or emotional problems. People who want to hurt kids are: estranged parents who would also be going for the other parent; abusers who are more likely to lure or abduct a child out alone - not from their bedroom when parents are home. Hostage takers are few and susceptible to intervention by police (does the kid have a cell phone and know how to use?).

The garden variety robbers or burglars are looking for big TVs, stereos, computers, jewelry and - guns....

Drug addicts are not very predictable, depends on location. Check with the police for risks and prevention.

Once you have secured windows, doors, etc, the best defense when you have kids (even if you own and safely store guns) is a dog. Failing the real ones, there are motion detector types.  A few more seasoned robbers may know all the fake barks. They also know you have been alerted to something moving.

On the suggestions for laws that would mirror the abortion restriction laws, why not require watching slides of dead people and children with bullet holes? Plus a few paraplegics and major brain damaged victims? Kids who have been killed by siblings for sure.

by Ginny in CO on Sat May 04, 2013 at 07:03:24 PM PDT

•  Dogs (1+ / 0-)
      Ginny in CO

They make good friends for the kids but they are not without risk themselves. The deterrent effect of a big dog is wonderful but it doesn't always work: there was a case recently where a home invader gave the victims's pit bull mix some food, and the dog went home with him.

Freedom isn't free. Patriots pay taxes.

by Dogs are fuzzy on Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:31:25 PM PDT

•  more than one guard dog has been disarmed (0+ / 0-)

with poisoned meat

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
        Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Sun May 05, 2013 at 04:04:08 AM PDT

•  Nothing is perfect. (0+ / 0-)

Could be most of the guard dogs poisoned were at junk yards or similar businesses.

I think the fake motion detector does what you really need - an alert plus a shot of adrenalin for the dufus. If you are just going for noise, little dogs beat the big ones to pieces. Any indication the pit bull was being treated poorly?

We had 3 dogs - one was not safe and had to be put down- he had been part of a litter born in an apartment where no pets were allowed. The litter had not been socialized very well, finally taken to the shelter ~ 12 weeks. He turned out to be the pack leader and nothing we could do to break that. Second scare after he hit 2 ('teen age') was enough to accept it was the best option. Kid across the street when I was growing up had kneeled down to kiss the family German shephard (middle aged) goodnight. Startled dog attacked, kid got 57 stitches on head and face.  NO WAY I was going to risk that dog hurting my kids or any human.

Thanks to lessons learned from that experience, the other two were just wonderful. Both part Rottie. Routine alerts, no attacks. I always knew one of my neighbors had to have stolen stuff out of the back yard because Shalom let them do it - she had to know the person...

by Ginny in CO on Sun May 05, 2013 at 02:59:46 PM PDT

•  this! (0+ / 0-)

a well trained guard dog that's trained in German will not let anyone in the house. if you expect a poodle to defend you're house just by barking to let you know, you're doing it wrong.

I have no idea what these people are afraid of. when I was a kid, someone tried to break into our house one night. my dad heard the window smash downstairs and went down with a bat, I think. the guy got scared off.

did my dad panic and buy a gun? no, my parents saved up and got an alarm system. we used for a few years, then went a decade without using it. we never had another break in.

these people who need to defend their homes with an arsenal are a joke. my brother who has literally been trained to kill with his bare hands (marine) feels the need to have guns around. I ask him all the time, "what are you so afraid of?" and I never get a real answer.

the people look like flowers at last.

by ClapClapSnap on Mon May 13, 2013 at 12:18:02 PM PDT

•  It's not as if one needs to be overly brilliant to (0+ / 0-)

be a NRA certified firearms instructor, brilliance would be an accusation actually. You needn't as much as own or even have ever touched a gun in your life to become "certified" by the NRA. Proving the title should be "certifiable", not "certified". Anyone claiming to be a firearms instructor is simply a joke, they may find "students" in the rush to get their totally worthless piece of paper that say that they are legal to carry a gun now but the reality is it is but a meaningless title that makes them a hero in their own mind, or feeds their tiny little ego.
         I used to be into competitive shooting years ago, one of my "instructors" shot one of us students, nearly killing him and leaving him maimed for life. Of course nothing became of it, he was never charged with anything as it was ruled another of the supposed "accidents", you know, the guns don't kill folks meme.
         Last I knew of that redneck prick he was teaching firearm safety at a college for LEO/security mandatory training.
         The student he shot was 13 an nowhere near this asshole when his gun "accidentally" discharged, not as if he or the RKBA crowd can blame anyone but the asshole with the gun. 13, maimed for life by a "certified" firearms instructor.
         That title this prick loves to shout out about "certified" is just worthless bullshit mumbo jumbo, period.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:27:12 AM PDT

•  Well, I would have to agree (0+ / 0-)

Not sure how it pertains to my comment. I noted he was a former police officer. Didn't cut it? Even plenty of  the ones who do are not very good.

Been an RN since '77, 16 years in critical care, 14 in AK. I have way too much experience with gun violence, including the maimed, than even my fading memory can lose.

by Ginny in CO on Sun May 05, 2013 at 02:37:53 PM PDT