View Diary: "Socialism has never happened before." (92 comments)

•  Sharing is a norm, but not the only one (0+ / 0-)

and it never has been, in my estimation, and I don't foresee that it will be.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:22:57 PM PDT

•  Sharing is the norm? (0+ / 0-)

Good to know. Maybe you can get Obama to share some of that power with me. I've got some ideas. But it seems I can't get elected unless I'm rich, like the average member of congress, as well as the executive branch, including the cabinet members.

No, the wealthy class does a lot of sharing amongst themselves at the expense of the rest of us, but I haven't had any caviar since the days when my extremely wealthy girlfriend of years ago had a birthday party and imported 3,000 per oz caviar from Russia. Amazing shit, it truly is, and I'll likely never have it again, since I turned down her gracious marriage proposal. ;)

The natural sharing that should take place is outlawed by the ruling class. They get to enjoy the fruits of my labor, get to be bailed out with my tax dollars, and they get to buy seats in congress, but the rest of us are mostly excluded from that club.

I have not been bailed out by the treasury. I owe student loans and will pay them until my death, and even then I will die owing money.

So... the only sharing I see is that which occurs among family and friends, but they aren't rich either, because times are tough. Meanwhile, the wealthy class have increased in wealth during the worst economic crisis since the great depression. Economic disparity is greater than it has been for decades.

I'll take you on a tour of my city and show you the homeless shelters, and the tent cities under bridges, and you can inform them that in our society, there is "mostly sharing".

by ZhenRen on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:44:57 PM PDT

•  I said "a norm" (0+ / 0-)

meaning a social norm, and a normal part of human behavior. I wasn't talking about the president or politicians or the wealthy, specifically. It appears you're taking every comment I make as if it were intended to be a defense of capitalism, which isn't the case.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:50:41 PM PDT

•  Fine... (0+ / 0-)

"Norms" can mean anything. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm glad you agree sharing is a cultural norm. I would go further and say it is an evolutionary norm.

But in capitalist society, sharing is not part of the plan. Competition and mutual struggle, in which the person who beats down the rest gets to sit on top of his mountain of wealth, while employing the rest of us and giving us table scraps, is deliberately built into society.

by ZhenRen on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:55:58 PM PDT

•  I agree about evolution, but (0+ / 0-)

I also think competition and selfishness are evolutionary norms. Some people seem to think that capitalism can be modified to incorporate the value of sharing. It's clear that you don't agree with that, and I think I understand why, but I'm not convinced either way.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:59:20 PM PDT

•  Since capitalism is defined (0+ / 0-)

by private ownership of the means of production, and is based upon economic warfare (competition in the market place) it is by its very essence based on inequality. Ask any CEO if he makes any decision based on anything except crushing competition in the "free market" in order to increase revenue, morality be damned.

Pretty hard to fix that and still keep private ownership. And its next to impossible to change the system when the rich will always have, one way or another, disproportionate access to power, which will always be true in capitalism.

Have you ever faced homelessness? Or hunger? Or awful living environments? Or illness without healthcare? No benefits from your lousy job? No?

It is a crime for people of means to allow this to exist, but I don't know of many democrats in office losing sleep over this. This is the face of capitalism that all wealthy persons (and their enablers) see when they look into the mirror.

by ZhenRen on Sun May 05, 2013 at 11:12:04 PM PDT