View Diary: Ignore the inane decrees to "respect" gun culture (245 comments)

•  Well, this was all quite special. (14+ / 0-)

A whole bunch of ignorance, bigotry and authoritarianism masquerading as concern.

I'd ask for a clear, concise definition of "gun culture" as a starting point, but after reading all the responses here, it seems it's just a label used to marginalize people.  While you all reflect on that, I'll just leave this for additional contemplation.

He wrote some other good essays recently about what to expect when you attack and fuck over people who would otherwise be your allies.  Study up.

You're gonna need it.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Sun May 05, 2013 at 08:42:50 PM PDT

•  pity the poor marginalized gun owners (5+ / 0-)
      caul, snowwoman, a2nite, Oh Mary Oh, lyvwyr101

Poor guys NEVER get anything they want.

(snicker)

•  Attack and fuck over people (3+ / 0-)
      caul, Oh Mary Oh, lyvwyr101

Let me ask you this:  when your gun buddies make the "joke" about "shooting 'cans" have you ever climbed on their asses about attacking and fucking over people that should be their friends?  Didn't think so.  And please don't even try to act like you don't know what I mean, I'm not even a gun guy and I've heard it at least dozens of times from my gun-guy acquaintances.  (There's a reason they stay acquaintances and never friends, and it has a lot to do with "shooting 'cans".)

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

by ActivistGuy on Sun May 05, 2013 at 10:12:26 PM PDT

•  Substitution (4+ / 0-)
      Let's substitute a few words in the diary and see if it sounds like a liberal wrote it:
      Sure, homosexuals gun owners should be respected, as all human beings should. Homosexual Gun culture, though, should not. Liberals are waging this fight with one hand tied behind their backs if they allow themselves to be bullied into thinking that "respecting" this culture - or, rather, pretending to respect it - is anything more than an intellectually vacant attempt to set back the cause of reining in the plague of pedophilia gun violence.
      Yep, sounds like a perfectly liberal worldview to me. No chance at all anyone could confuse that attitude with bigotry. My bad. Carry on.
      •  Wait... (0+ / 0-)

are you implying that gun owners suffer from the same bigotry as LGBT folks?  I hope you aren't, because wow, if you are that would be pretty effing terrible.

"I don't want a unicorn. I want a fucking pegasus. And I want it to carry a flaming sword." -mahakali overdrive

by Silvia Nightshade on Mon May 06, 2013 at 07:56:25 AM PDT

•  Is it considered liberal (1+ / 0-)
        Silvia Nightshade

To compare homosexuality with gun ownership? Sounds like a teabagger argument to me.

•  No, it isn't (4+ / 0-)

What is considered liberal is calling out bigotry, wherever you find it. The diarist is making statements that would be considered offensive bigotry if a conservative spoke out on:

a) a group engaging in a legal activity (homosexuals/gun owners)
          b) the legal behaviors associated with the vast majority of these people (homosexual culture/gun culture)
          c) and associated them with the illegal behaviours of a tiny minority (pedophiles/gun violence)

Now, the diarist may be just as sincere and convinced of the righteousness of his beliefs as the average racist resident of Mississippi in 1933 or homophobic conservative preacher in 2013, but sincerity makes an argument no less ignorant, bigoted or authoritarian.

Unfortunately, far too many liberals are incapable of understanding this.

•  Count me as one who doesn't get it. (1+ / 0-)
            a2nite

Owning a gun is a choice, being gay isn't.  I really don't understand this comparison.

by Silvia Nightshade on Tue May 07, 2013 at 06:03:57 AM PDT

•  Being a Muslim is a choice... (0+ / 0-)

Get it now?

--Shannon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Emiliano Zapata Salazar
              "Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Tue May 07, 2013 at 07:11:08 PM PDT

•  And yet (0+ / 0-)

I wouldn't consider a Muslim to own their religion as a piece of property.

by Silvia Nightshade on Wed May 08, 2013 at 06:32:20 AM PDT