View Diary: Talladega (78 comments)

•  Danica is overated... (2+ / 0-)
    mrsgoo, eXtina

..and under talented.

I saw her race many times in Atlantics and she was underwhelming.

My dog can eat a whole watermelon.

by Cornbread Maxi on Sun May 05, 2013 at 06:06:50 PM PDT

•  very overrated, not sure about undertalented, (5+ / 0-)

she seems to be able to hold her own in the draft and with these new cars, as squirrely as they seem, that's no walk in the park.

But yeah she's been overhyped at every level of the sport I'm sure to the detriment of another or more likely many other women drivers because now their quota is covered .....and with a photogenic example that's good enough to pull decent finishes but I agree just doesn't have the spark of greatness like an Angelle Sampey.......

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
      I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
      Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Sun May 05, 2013 at 06:28:28 PM PDT

•  It is the overhyped part that drives me nuts. (3+ / 0-)
        Cornbread Maxi, buddabelly, gulfgal98

Darrell Waltrip is fawning over her just as bad or worse than he did over Jeff Gordon. That first time she was in the Daytona 500, I swear it's the only car they put on the teevee machine. I finally just started walking around saying Danica, Danica, Danica, Danica, Danica, Danica really fast! Now my husband even does it when they're fawning over her for no apparent reason.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Sun May 05, 2013 at 06:49:34 PM PDT

•  I remember her as Angelle Seeling! That gal could (2+ / 0-)
        buddabelly, eeff

ride a bike. Hubbie and I went to the US Nationals in '99. Just when Harley was trying to get into the sport. It was a travesty  - they could not even get those bikes down the track. Now look! Pro Stock cars and bikes are our favorites.

by mrsgoo on Sun May 05, 2013 at 07:12:48 PM PDT

•  so did I, I guess she went back to her maiden name (2+ / 0-)
          mrsgoo, eeff

and boy howdy could that woman ride.....

Her reaction times were flat out incredible, she had most of her races won in the first 100 feet......Drag racing coverage is almost all I miss from cable honestly...

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
          I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
          Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Sun May 05, 2013 at 07:18:55 PM PDT

•  pfffftttt You mean when they do not have a corn (2+ / 0-)
            eeff, buddabelly

cob rolling contest on instead! The hubbie is a drag fan first. When it's not on ESPN3 (internet only I guess) he has had to suffer through 3rd rate basketball, little league baseball and I kid you not - cheerleading! It seems like any excuse to not show the drags works for ESPN2. He's got his National Dragster subscription - so he can always flip the pages. I think he would give up fud before his Nat'l Dragster sub.

by mrsgoo on Sun May 05, 2013 at 07:27:55 PM PDT

•  Danica is a good driver, but (1+ / 0-)
        buddabelly

not a great driver.  I see here as a 20-25 place driver on most tracks.  IMHO, the plate tracks are her best opportunities for good finishes.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Mon May 06, 2013 at 06:59:51 AM PDT

•  Not a Danica fan but her driving has been (2+ / 0-)
      Cornbread Maxi, gulfgal98

improving. I remember wayyyy back when.... Tony Stewart got into to the Busch series and my hubbie was like - this guy is gonna be good - ya gotta watch this guy! And I'm like - the only thing I'm watching this guy doing is hitting the wall every weekend! LOL! Now I'm thinking that it might be time for Tony to retire.

by mrsgoo on Sun May 05, 2013 at 06:39:27 PM PDT