Skip to main content

View Diary: Dear Cat Lovers - Tell Me About Diatomaceous Earth (55 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  It's made of (10+ / 0-)

    fossilized shells of silica-fixing single celled plankton.

    It is entirely edible, non-toxic, non-allergenic (unless you're allergic to silicon, aluminum, and oxygen, in which case you've got much bigger problems).

    It can be a severe eye, nose, throat, and sensitive skin irritant due to it's very small size and abrasive characteristics - which are the same reasons it is so effective as an exfoliant and as a mechanical insecticide.

    It seems to me to be the kind of thing that is basically harmless enough (as long as you use basic common sense, like don't snort it, and don't whip it around the room with a ventilator fan blowing at full speed)... try a several week test to see if it has desirable results... make it a long test, because it's NOT a poison, it will take a while to have an effect.

    The only way to ensure a free press is to own one

    by RedDan on Mon May 06, 2013 at 12:48:56 PM PDT

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site