View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Overpass Light Brigade gives a thumbs down to Keystone XL pipeline (78 comments)

•  QUESTION: I recently received my TU status (6+ / 0-)

...and I am curious if I can both "recommend" and "hide" someone's comment ... because, well, you see, there are certain comments that provide irrefutable and rather important facts, so I feel obligated to "recommend" those comments, but unfortunately, those same facts just piss me off, so I would really like to "hide" those comments... ???

/snark

•  Use your donuts wisely, grasshopper (12+ / 0-)

------"Load up on guns, bring your friends. It's fun to lose and to pretend."------- Kurt Cobain

by Jeff Y on Thu May 09, 2013 at 09:00:46 PM PDT

•  as I said in my comment below, to the other Jeff (4+ / 0-)
        Eric Nelson, Puddytat, Jeff Y, grover

•  And I thought *I* needed to get out more (3+ / 0-)
          Jeff Y, sensetolisten, grover

Some other joker did the same thing awhile back, except s/he didn't use the snark tag, and some people, me being one of them, managed to feel a bit foolish for having taken the time to answer in earnest.

As I asked another commenter below with a username identical to yours, was that you?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu May 09, 2013 at 10:47:23 PM PDT

•  Yes. (0+ / 0-)

Alas, that was me. But this time I was smart enough to add the /snark tag.

•  "Answering in earnest" (2+ / 0-)
            DeadHead, Lying eyes

Your first mistake.

/evil grin

© grover

by grover on Fri May 10, 2013 at 01:23:25 AM PDT

•  You're right (2+ / 0-)
              JeffW, sensetolisten

I should refrain from assuming a new user is asking a genuine question about the way things work around here, I suppose.

I just try to be helpful. The first time the joke was on me.

Now tonight the same person is back making it known this is amusing. Also fine, I suppose. I'm a sucker for good snark.

Once the person started claiming to have understood how it feels to be the target of HR abuse, when out of 163 total comments here s/he has not received a single HR, it lost it's humor for me.

And it is indeed amusing to poke fun at the petty drama that springs up around our brand of community moderation. I just don't expect it coming from a somewhat new user on two separate occasions.

Perhaps I'm just importing my own early DK experience, when I was about 163 comments-new, into this particular instance here, tonight. I know I personally wasn't trying clown long-time users here into explaining the system to me, only to end-up telling them, "It was snark," and then proceed to do it again later on another occasion, this time admitting the pleasure in doing so.

I'll assume the problem lies with me and leave it at that.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri May 10, 2013 at 02:19:57 AM PDT

•  Either or, kid... (8+ / 0-)

...and be advised that you only get 5 donuts every 24 hours, while Recs are unlimited.

Best to say something snarky, then walk away...

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Thu May 09, 2013 at 09:02:50 PM PDT

•  Truth is... (2+ / 0-)
        Puddytat, grover

I have no intention whatsoever to use any HR's at all. Not my cup of tea, as they say..... but making comical comments about the use of HRs does tickle my fancy ... lol.

•  Hey, are you the same one who (2+ / 0-)
          sensetolisten, grover

tickled your fancy in a similar manner here awhile back?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu May 09, 2013 at 10:22:15 PM PDT

•  Youngster... (3+ / 0-)
          sensetolisten, DeadHead, LinSea

...you disappoint old Uncle Jeff. That TU means you're part of the posse that protects this place from trolls. You only need them when someone posts a comment that could put Daily Kos in a bad light.

You just think about that...

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Thu May 09, 2013 at 11:11:36 PM PDT

•  I respect the use of HRs as a necessary (1+ / 0-)
            JeffW

part of keeping this site in good stead. Problem is, I cannot spend enough time here to feel that I can responsibly apply an HR ... or maybe too, I am a bit shy about abusing people, having felt the brunt of misused HR.

•  Use your best judgement... (3+ / 0-)
              sensetolisten, Lying eyes, LinSea

...and remember that if you don't piss off one person, yer doin it rong! I've collected a few HR's, and I'm still here.

Anyhow, it's tired, and I'm late. G`nite!

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Thu May 09, 2013 at 11:28:28 PM PDT

•  Well, they perform another vital task (2+ / 0-)
              JeffW, sensetolisten

They serve as superb subject material for your entertainment.

I must say, I'm curious now about how they were misused against you. No need for you to explain. I'll satisfy my curiosity myself.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri May 10, 2013 at 12:16:21 AM PDT

•  Hmm... (0+ / 0-)

I changed my username... and mind you, I mainly changed my username, not because there was what I felt to be an abusive HR, but more so, because someone criticized my username. They attacked (mocked) my usename???? Yes! And that part of the attack really was hard to take and I felt was really offensive. My username was "TheFacts101". I only used it for a short time and completely discontinued use of it when i created this name. Now, I checked the dailykos rules before changing my username and it stated that one can change their username as long as they discontinue using the other name, which I have done. And mind you, this occurred within my first few days after joining, but since you are curious, I will tell you the topic, which should explain.

The topic was the 2nd amendment. And as fate would have it, I foolishly made my first fateful foray into dailykos in the aftermath of the Newton shootings. And, well, in all fairness, I probably did not express my support for the 2nd amendment with the most clear explanation, because I absolutely do support background checks, and I don't actually own a gun myself, and in fact, I have never actually personally owned a gun (so, no, I do not have any sort of a "gun fetish", as some people at that time claimed) though yes I have fired them on occasion, and I have hunted, killed, skinned, and eaten wild game. However, as you can well imagine, emotions were running rather high during that time, and further, being a newbee, the label of "NRA TROLL" or "REPUBLICAN TROLL" or something to that effect, were also bantied about. And I am not a republican troll or any such thing, and my comments since then, and mu current TU status should prove that I am not a troll, but yes, like many democrats, I do support the 2nd amendment and I do strongly believe it is a necessary right. And if you were to review my comments under my current username, you will find my views expressed, albeit, I hope, better than they were expressed during my first foray.

And btw, just before I stopped using that previous username, I published an "apology" diary:

MEME CAMPAIGN: #SandyHook are your #FirearmsSecure

And if you do review the comments for my current username, you will see my 2nd comment was my attempt to provide a "completion" and "respect" and to begin my new username with a new spirit, and a segue to my very choice of my new username: "SenseToListen".

In any case, that's the story and that's why I am a bit shy here, and somewhat reluctant to play any sort of a TU role. But also, I really don't have the time to read comments all that very much, but I do my best to at least read the recommended diaries, or some of them, at least once a day. Of course, reading diaries and comments can become a bit addictive, but my real life responsibilities have been rather intense these past few months, so even that has often waxed and waned.

•  You have never received an HR (3+ / 0-)
              Creosote, JeffW, sensetolisten

in your 163 comments here on Daily Kos.

So the "I am a bit shy about abusing people, having felt the brunt of misused HR" part of your comment must be more snarky entertainment, apparently.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri May 10, 2013 at 12:26:05 AM PDT

•  Here is a link... (0+ / 0-)

(see below, with the actual comment) from in my previous username, "TheFacts101", which I have since discontinued using (as noted in my comment above) due to the comments of that thread, but please also note that I changed my username, not just because of the mocking of that username as well as, due to what I felt to be an abusive HR, but also, because I really wanted to be respectful of the points raised, which I felt were valid critiques of my own comments. Again, as noted above, my last diary of that username reflects this respectful sentiment. And, if I was going to continue commenting on DailyKos, I really wanted a username that more reflected my intended humble spirit, and upon reflection, in that vein, TheFacts101 felt a bit presumptuous, and SenseToListen, I felt more reflected my own attempt to actually have the "Sense To Actually Listen" and not just to spew my own viewpoint.

In any case, here is the comment with a link:

In support of the 2nd Amendment... (1+ / 2-)
                Recommended by: Mathazar
                Hidden by: Cen Den, dadanation
                let me state my position, as a staunch liberal on almost all issues, but not this one. I mourn these deaths, and I mourn all senseless deaths. However, I support the 2nd Amendment with unwavering resoluteness, no matter what, because I do not necessarily trust ANY government. I trust Obama, yes, absolutely, and I trust Biden, absolutely, but the institution of a governing body is vast and broad. It is uncertain and inconsistent. It is capricious and blind and jealous, often. It does not necessarily serve the will of the people, and can become the very evil it purports to fight. I do not trust it, as a matter of principle, and as such, I want an armed populace.

In the military there is combat training throughout one's service, and during training exercises people die, and that is the price we pay for homeland security. People die. It is a sad fact of life. And with this same truth in mind, I say that the price of an armed populace is that sometimes that same armed populace can and will wantonly kill. I will not forfeit an armed populace because of this sad truth. People die. Children die. Mothers die. Loved ones die. In the context of military training, as much as we must strive to keep deaths to a minimum, I am none-the-less, callous to the deaths, because military training must be rigorous, of the highest order, if we want our military to be prepared, and accidents happen. I am deeply saddened at these deaths, but in the context of the 2nd Amendment and an armed populace, I am callous. As far as I am concerned, there is no 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment, for these are two sides of the same coin.

I don't care what statistic you cite from the UK, because we are not the UK, and the UK would not be what it is today, if the USA were not what we are today. In the UK, the Government grants rights to their people, and all other rights reside with the Government, whereas, in the USA, it is the people who grant rights to the Government, and all other rights reside with the people. We are the first and last line of defense, for true freedom against tyranny of government, and it is the armed populace that holds that line. I am not the only staunch liberal/Democrat who feels this way.

I am sorry for the loss today, but I am callous with regards to any anti-gun laws. I will not apologize for this. And yes, to be clear, I support gun registration so that law enforcement can track guns, so they can respond when they are used to commit crimes, but beyond this, I will side with the NRA on this one single issue.

•  I think you're pretty funny. (1+ / 0-)
          JeffW

Discussion of HRs is not sacrosanct here. Stupid application of HRs is the topic of "hijack" threads, the majority of which are utterly exhausting.

But your meta "inquiries" here are most amusing.

Carry on.

• Law (16)
  • GOP (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • United States (14)
  • Marriage Equality (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site