View Diary: "Our Government has No Business in Space." True, False, It Depends (100 comments)

•  that is a reasonable argument to be made, ZhenRen (0+ / 0-)

I would assume you are against ALL Govt Investments,

just callous, narrow-sighted, profit-based ones.

•  ... aren't against ... (0+ / 0-)
    •  I would abolish the concept of private ownership (1+ / 0-)
      jamess

of the means of production. Then everything will be the people's investment.

by ZhenRen on Mon May 06, 2013 at 08:33:31 PM PDT

•  on paper sure - in reality - the same old (0+ / 0-)

same old.  There will be no communist revolution in the US, we've been far too well indoctrinated that sharing is not how we do things and the winner takes all.

And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

by Mortifyd on Mon May 06, 2013 at 09:48:54 PM PDT

•  That cystal ball you have... (0+ / 0-)

Must be worth a fortune.

I don't think we're going to have anarcho-socialism (and with that I've really lost you) anytime soon, but it's rather extremely important to know what the best model should be if we're going to have any idea of what to strive for, and how to compare the value of other ideologies.

That's why I spend time studying alternatives to capitalism. Even if I won't experience my preference while I'm still alive, it is of enormous value and usefulness to understand how I would prefer my world to be organized, and to have something to measure the existing world against.

Yeah, I know... to you I'm an idiot, and of course, so is Chomsky, and so was Zinn, and so are a bunch of thinkers who tower above dkos denizens... we're a bunch of fools to you.

by ZhenRen on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:10:51 PM PDT

•  wow, chip on the shoulder much? (0+ / 0-)

Talk about who is using the crystal ball here... you don't know anything about me or my political leanings, but you've managed to be completely wrong about all of it.

I know what all those fancy big words mean and who those authors are - and I've read them too.  I'm just more cynical and less of a smug prick about it.

by Mortifyd on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:55:28 PM PDT

•  I do get tired... (0+ / 0-)

of the rather narrow thinking around here. I apologize if I seem smug. I'll admit to being irritated around here as of late. People are hurting in the world, there is a lot of injustice, and people seem to be content with their heads in the sand.

I'm outgrowing this place... I should probably leave. It is not helping me to stick around, and yet I do.

by ZhenRen on Mon May 06, 2013 at 11:53:28 PM PDT

•  don't let the door hit you on the way out (0+ / 0-)

if you expect me to be butthurt you're "outgrowing" the place.  There are a lot of things I don't agree with here and I certainly get frustrated from time to time - but it doesn't affect what I see as the positives - there are people who share some of my ideals and want to make the world a better place.  Maybe not in the same ways I would - but we aren't clones, we're individuals with our own needs, biases and concepts.  I have to take that into account, no matter how much I want them to just agree I'm right.

Humanity - it's like that.

by Mortifyd on Tue May 07, 2013 at 12:30:29 AM PDT

•  Pure class (0+ / 0-)

Exactly what I expected, and you didn't disappoint. I suppose it would be hard for you to outdo your use of "buthurt" but I've got a feeling you actually will.

by ZhenRen on Tue May 07, 2013 at 02:02:12 AM PDT

•  Looking at this today (0+ / 0-)

I will apologize again for my testy attitude. I could have articulated my point of view better than I did.

My point isn't that going into space is absolutely wrong, only that when our government ignores poverty, unemployment, climate change, peak oil, and the need to develop renewable energy sources, but keeps spending so much on other programs (the national security state and other military spinoffs, and space programs, etc), it strikes me as unethical.

I realize you disagree, and you've explained your reasons, but more must be done about these crises we are faced with, and that is a fact.

But there is no need for us to be rude to each other, and for that I apologize.

by ZhenRen on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:00:53 AM PDT