View Diary: Senate leadership should slap its own members for gun stupidity (98 comments)

•  Now they are also whining about progressives (36+ / 0-)

OMG we will ruin everything.....again...leave our blue dogs alone....sniff

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." Arundhati Roy

by LaFeminista on Tue May 07, 2013 at 10:32:11 AM PDT

•  Isn't that what they always do? (6+ / 0-)

I don't think hippie punching will ever go out of style.

If the Republicans ever find out that Barack Obama favors respiration, we'll be a one-party system inside two minutes. - Alan Lewis

by MadRuth on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:05:34 AM PDT

•  They'll be whining about progressives in 2014 (10+ / 0-)

If they are more afraid of the NRA than they are of seniors.

•  According to this, sounds like Pryor has (4+ / 0-)
        RichM, grimjc, Penny GC, YucatanMan

co-sponsored Harkin's legislation rejecting the Chained CPI:

Democratic Sens. Kay Hagan (N.C.), Mark Begich (Alaska) and Mark Pryor (Ark.), all running in states won by Republican Mitt Romney in 2012, have publicly opposed the president's effort, going so far as to co-sponsor a Senate resolution against chained CPI last week. Sens. Al Franken (D-Minn.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Jack Reed (D-R.I.) and Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), running in bluer states, also co-sponsored the resolution.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:46:50 AM PDT

•  Inoculating himself (1+ / 0-)
          3goldens

It's all he's got, his only hope for reelection.

"Some folks rob you with a six-gun, some rob you with a fountain pen." - Woody Guthrie

by Involuntary Exile on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:54:45 AM PDT

•  From the same piece - it's just a game (2+ / 0-)
          maryabein, YucatanMan
          "I think the Democratic opposition you have seen against CPI just says if Republicans want a grand deal and they want CPI, then they are going to have to produce votes," said a top Senate Democratic aide. "It isn't going to be 50 Dems and 10 Republicans, but rather something like 40-20 or 35-25."
          They think they can let a few Senators who are up for reelection off the hook on a vote to cut Social Security benefits.   HA!!  I'll punish the Democrats on my ballot for what the rest of them do.  I'm not playing their game.
          •  So you'll punish good ones who voted against (0+ / 0-)

Social Security cuts to punish the bad ones?  So if Mark Warner or Dick Durbin vote for the cuts, you're going to punish to Al Franken?  That doesn't sound like a smart plan at all.  What if the Democrats that do vote for these cuts end up winning re-election and you helped the good ones who voted against these cuts lose in 2014?  I usually hate the argument that the progressives stayed home in 2010 because that's not true at all but I refuse to let progressives punish Democrats who vote the right way while the bad ones go free.  In fact, if you do that, you'll be spreading a message that it was ok to cut Social Security when you punish the good Dems with the bad one.  This is not a game.  I understand your concern and I share it but calling this a game and pushing some kind of conspiracy theory that this will buy Dems like Begich, Franken, Merkley and other good ones political cover to me sounds a little nuts.  Hell, the Republicans aren't even entirely on board with the Chained CPI.  When someone like Max Baucus hates the chained CPI, to me, it's a sign it won't happen.  Now I also urge people to keep up the pressure for sure but don't punish Merkley and Begich for what Warner and Durbin did.  It's like punishing both your children for the same thing only one of them didn't cause the problem and isn't in trouble.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue May 07, 2013 at 12:41:22 PM PDT

•  Good ones, HA!! (0+ / 0-)

I mean, I'll give you Harkin, but this is just a big, fat, cynical game.  The "good" ones are the ones up for reelection this time so they get to vote like progressives and then all the formerly "good" ones who played that trick on you last election cycle go vote for these rotten to the core bills.  That's what this aide is saying.  Rotten to the core cynical scam.  They need enough Republican votes to allow this bull shit con game to continue.  Then they'll take 35 or 40 Democrats and screw us if they can. If they can!!

Now maybe they can't pull if off, if people like me scream like hell.  But as I say, I'm letting them know in advance, they are not going to screw me and get a vote from again.  I'm not accepting that throwing 10 votes my way while 35 cut my Social Security benefits for the rest of my life is OK.  I'm not going to give the 10 a pass if they allow the 35 to ram this horrible idea through Congress.

•  "Last election cycle"? What are you talking about (0+ / 0-)

?  Elizabeth Warren, Sheldon Whitehouse, Sherrod Brown and number of other Dems from the last election cycle pushed to get the Social Security cuts off the table in the fiscal cliff deal.  Plus again, I don't think the Republican votes are there.  Keep up the pressure, sure, but please don't make people like me who are trying to stop these cuts from happening look crazy.  Plus how can those 10 stop 35?  Explain that to me.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue May 07, 2013 at 01:12:58 PM PDT

•  How can the 10 stop the 35? (0+ / 0-)

Well they could explain they will be defeated if the party does this and if the Democratic Party only has 10 Senators who will vote against Social Security benefit cuts, something that 80% of Americans oppose, then the Democratic Party needs to be replaced.

•  Well yeah, they could do that but would they (0+ / 0-)

listen to them?  You don't think guys like Begich, Merkley, Sanders and Harkin have been doing that?

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue May 07, 2013 at 01:45:15 PM PDT

•  I think Harkin is fed up because they don't listen (0+ / 0-)

to him and that's probably one reason why he's not running again.  Old school liberal.  He's about the last one left.  Sanders, of course, is not a Democrat.  That's how bad it is when you can't even come up  with 10 without including Sanders.

•  In your mind, you just think it's only Harkin (0+ / 0-)

doing anything about this?  How many times have I written about Senator Mark Begich (D. AK) and the Protecting & Preserving Social Security Act that he just introduced yesterday?  Harkin isn't running again because of the filibuster reform negotiation but to act like no one listens to him is absurd.  Sanders caucuses with the Democrats and always gets the backing of Democracy For America.  Plus I can name you more than ten Democrats who have been against Social Security cuts without Sanders name:

Tom Harkin
                        Sheldon Whitehouse
                        Jay Rockefeller
                        Al Franken
                        Brian Schatz

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue May 07, 2013 at 01:58:32 PM PDT

•  It's a club that protects its members (12+ / 0-)

Remember when JoeMentum actively campaigned w/ McCain and said the following:

Lieberman has wasted no time in questioning Obama's positions on Iran and Israel, two topics on which Lieberman and McCain agree. Just one day after Obama clinched his party's nomination, Lieberman joined Republicans on a McCain campaign teleconference call assailing Obama following his foreign policy address to a leading Jewish group.

Lieberman accused Obama of blaming U.S. policies for "essentially sort of strengthening" Iran.

One might think that, after spending months blasting a colleague who attempted to provide him w/ cover from the left during Lamont's primary challenge, JoeMentum would return to a Senate Dem caucus that was out for blood.  One would've thought wrong there:
      Democrat-turned-independent Sen. Joe Lieberman managed to keep his Senate committee chairmanship in part because President-elect Barack Obama didn't want to punish him for supporting Sen. John McCain, Lieberman said Tuesday.

The Senate Democratic caucus, following a lengthy and often heated debate, voted 42-13 Tuesday to let Lieberman continue chairing the Senate Homeland Security Committee.

Let's not forget about support for noted party loyalist Blanche Lincoln:
      So what did the Democratic Party establishment do when a Senator who allegedly impedes their agenda faced a primary challenger who would be more supportive of that agenda?  They engaged in full-scale efforts to support Blanche Lincoln.  Bill Clinton traveled to Arkansas to urge loyal Democrats to vote for her, bashing liberal groups for good measure.  Obama recorded an ad for Lincoln which, among other things, were used to tell African-American primary voters that they should vote for her because she works for their interests.  The entire Party infrastructure lent its support and resources to Lincoln — a Senator who supposedly prevents Democrats from doing all sorts of Wonderful, Progressive Things which they so wish they could do but just don’t have the votes for.

Ordinarily, when Party leaders support horrible incumbents in primaries, they use the “electability” excuse:  this is a conservative state, the incumbent has the best chance to win, and the progressive challenger is out-of-step with voters.  That excuse is clearly unavailable here.  As Public Policy Polling explained yesterday, Lincoln has virtually no chance of winning in November against GOP challenger John Boozman.  And while it would have also been difficult for Halter to beat Boozman, polls consistently showed that he had a better chance than Lincoln did.  That’s unsurprising, given how much better non-Washington candidates are doing in this incumbent-hating climate than long-term Washington insiders.  And it’s rather difficult to claim that Halter is out-of-step with Arkansas given that they elected him their Lt. Governor.  Whatever the reasons Washington Democrats had for supporting the deeply unpopular Lincoln, it had nothing whatsoever to do with electability.

As per Yogi Berra, this is deja vu all over again.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:27:34 AM PDT

•  Reid needs to step down and let (9+ / 0-)

someone with more backbone take over leadership.

For a boxer he sure likes to play defense a lot. So tired of his milquetoast actions/reactions.

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

by Puffin on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:56:26 AM PDT

•  It increasingly seems to me that all members of (0+ / 0-)

the US Senate take a pledge to protect their members over all other considerations, including sanity or popular policy stands.

Instead, they represent the Senate and only the Senate, intending to stay in the Senate and continue their loyalty to only the Senate and no one else, including human decency.

"Harry Reid is a fighter" ... can you believe they tried to sell us that crap once upon a time?

Harry Reid is a lot of things, but "fighter" on behalf of the American people (99% of them)?  Not for a long time.

by YucatanMan on Tue May 07, 2013 at 09:15:23 PM PDT