View Diary: Anonymous Launches #OpGTMO Protest To Shut Down Guantanamo (10 comments)

•  Unless anon can get Congress to release funds... (4+ / 0-)

to close Gitmo, it ain't gonna happen. Gitmo remaining open is all about the repugs putting a stick in the spokes of an Obama promise.

The effort is admirable and well intentioned, but will ultimately be futile.

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Tue May 07, 2013 at 03:48:07 PM PDT

•  The hunger strike is garnering (3+ / 0-)

international attention without Anon. Obama spoke about Gitmo last week, he may say something again, it may be something meaningless or maybe not.

Of the 100 hunger-strikers, four are hospitalized, and 23 are being force-fed.

Time is of the essense, if a hunger striker dies, it's one more tool for psychos, terrorists to use for recruitment.

A good horse is never a bad color.

by CcVenussPromise on Tue May 07, 2013 at 05:15:15 PM PDT

•  There is a lot Obama can do (3+ / 0-)

He has the power to release many of the prisoners. Nor is he blameless for the current predicament. I wrote about this issue in detail here.

•  Good diary, but... (0+ / 0-)

where do the prisoners go? And what support are they going to get to return to society if/when they are released? Where is the money coming from for that? How do you get Congress to pay for it when you're currently under budget sequester? How do you get repugs (or anyone for that matter) to sign on, when you're cutting funding for food stamps?

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Tue May 07, 2013 at 08:23:13 PM PDT

•  You start with the next right thing. First - (0+ / 0-)

Stop the torture. Next, release the detainees where there is no evidence - we are creating terrorism as the world looks upon these war crimes. We are becoming hated again and encouraging terrorists to take revenge. But first - stop the torture.

"In this world, hate has never yet dispelled hate. Only love can dispel hate." ~ Buddha

by Leslie Salzillo on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:00:01 PM PDT

•  You'll get no argument from me, re: torture... (0+ / 0-)

but the questions I asked need answers before anyone can be released.

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:45:11 PM PDT

•  Well, I have lots of ideas. It can be overwhelming (0+ / 0-)

There is no doubt in my mind that Obama can do more on this -- now. And you won't find too many that love, admire and trust  that man more than me. This had just gone on too long, and it has been put on the back burner too long. There are innocent people in there - some having been tortured for years. Some are dying. Enough.

My part? I write about it. I promote this protest. Because:

If nothing changes - nothing changes. We must strart somewhere.

Respectfully, what do you suggest? You're asking me. Do you think we should just turn our backs? Why are you asking me for all the answers? We each need to ask ourselves what we personally can do - and that's all we can do.

by Leslie Salzillo on Wed May 08, 2013 at 06:31:02 PM PDT

•  And I will also be taking part in protest as I (0+ / 0-)

did when many of us stayed of the computer for the CISPA protest blackout.

by Leslie Salzillo on Wed May 08, 2013 at 06:32:20 PM PDT