View Diary: There was a time when Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid cared about U.S. workers (39 comments)

•  I can't help but wonder if the glee being shown (17+ / 0-)

by democrats that the Republicans are caving on the immigration issue is misguided and we are being played for suckers by the Republican oligarchs.

Republicans are under no illusion that they will get any Hispanic voter surge if they support immigration. If they know this, then why would they support it, especially when their base opposes it.

Here's why. Once the job market gets even more skewed to employers and against workers, the economy drops into depression the Democratic party will be seen as the irresponsible party who allowed it to happen.

With the recovery on a thin, fragile path, why Democrats would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is mind boggling.

•  We are simply throwing the working class away (5+ / 0-)

I don't have a working class blue collar job. But I know many who do.

Many Democrats say "The Democrats help the working class." BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!! We haven't helped the working class in about 30 years. We are full-tilt in favor of the rich. Schumer WILL NOT support any correction of the carried-interest provision in the Senate. He might as well be a Repukeliscum. All he does for Democrats is have the correct attitude on gay marriage and other issues. NOTHING else. He's a total RINO.

Blue collar skilled trades people look at the Democrats and say, correctly, that the Democrats care ONLY about the illegals.

•  The "illegals"? (6+ / 0-)

That is an extremely offensive term. Referring to undocumented immigrants as "illegal immigrants" is bad enough, but just "illegals"? No human being deserves to have his or her entire existence summed up as "illegal," removing his or her humanity from the equation entirely.

You can discuss the plutocrats' decimation of blue-collar America without using offensive terms to refer to undocumented immigrants who came to this country seeking the opportunity to make a better life for their families.

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 05:32:47 AM PDT

•  So you are in favor of (2+ / 0-)
          splashoil, IT Professional

Democratic policies as long as we use the correct terms to destroy the middle class?

Good one. Use the correct terms.

•  No, I'm in favor of understanding people. (7+ / 0-)

It's not undocumented immigration that's "destroy[ing] the middle class," or that has decimated the American manufacturing sector and American labor unions.

That's a myth fed by xenophobic Republicans who want to portray undocumented immigrants as "takers," in order to deceive working-class whites into taking their justified resentment about the plutocrats destroying their livelihoods and channeling it into hatred of brown people instead of justice against the wealthy.

I know a number of undocumented immigrants, and each and every one of them is looking for the same thing that you and I are looking for—a chance to work hard and support their families. To sum up their entire existence as "illegal," removing even their very humanity from the description, is to demonstrate a complete lack of empathy or interest in understanding others.

Let's keep our front toward the real enemy: not working-class undocumented immigrants who are trying just as we are to support their families, but the plutocrats at the top who want us fighting each other rather than demanding justice from them.

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 05:46:44 AM PDT

•  It is legitimate to display a lack of empathy... (3+ / 0-)
              WorkerInUSA, quill, IT Professional

...to people who don't have the legal right to be here.  It may be bad policy, or you could argue that empathy should in fact be the basis for policy, but the "hard-working, support their families" argument doesn't win the debate any more than it would for zoning or environmental or any other regulations where hard-working people seeking to support their families stake a claim on disregarding the law.

You know, I sometimes think if I could see, I'd be kicking a lot of ass. -Stevie Wonder at the Glastonbury Festival, 2010

by Rich in PA on Wed May 08, 2013 at 05:51:24 AM PDT

•  There's a major difference... (1+ / 0-)
                Deep Texan

...between having empathy for people with no political power and no real voice, who come to this country with almost nothing seeking a better life for their families, and having empathy for people who break "zoning or environmental or any other regulations," who generally do so out of greed because they have political power and voice, and feel like they can get away with it.

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 07:10:00 AM PDT

•  Are you serious? (0+ / 0-)

During the union movement, the term "scab" was used to describe the workers who helped management.

You appear to be a pro-scab democrat.

That's a new kind of Democrat.

I am not pro-scab.

•  That's a nice attempt to change the subject. (2+ / 0-)
                Deep Texan, unfangus

I recommend you address what I actually wrote—which is that the problem is the Ownership Class, who want us to be attacking one another as "pro-scab" (which is a personal insult, I might add) and turning our hatred against so-called "illegals," instead of demanding that the Ownership Class stop hoarding the wealth of the world for their own private use and making us fight for the scraps from their table.

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 07:06:13 AM PDT

•  I think your (4+ / 0-)
            Deep Texan, Wisper, FG, JeremySchro

username says more about you than you realize. You and the diarist should go and start your own little xenophobic blog somewhere.

•  You oppose US workers? (1+ / 0-)
              IT Professional

Wow. That's putting it on the line.

Hatred of US workers, which is sometimes seen here, is appalling and disgusting.

•  That is rhetorically irresponsible. (4+ / 0-)
                FG, JeremySchro, unfangus, terrybuck

To suggest that anyone who disagrees with your assertions about immigration "hates US workers"—or, as you insulted me above, is "pro-scab"—is rhetorical irresponsibility that is more typical of our political opponents than of us.

It does nothing to encourage a discussion of the issue, and addresses absolutely none of your interlocutors' arguments.

Please be more responsible in your rhetoric.

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 07:16:20 AM PDT

•  This is irresponsible: (0+ / 0-)

" You and the diarist should go and start your own little xenophobic blog somewhere."

I notice you have no problem with statements accusing an advocate for the working class as as xenophobic.

Shame on you JamesGG.

•  Your rhetoric about undocumented immigrants... (0+ / 0-)

...mirrors much of what we're seeing from the right-wing plutocrats in an effort to whip up xenophobia.

They, too, say wonderful things about American workers, despite having their fingers crossed behind their backs when they say those things.

It's in their interest to keep the American working class ginned up with hatred against the so-called "illegals," rather than banding together with working-class immigrants into strong labor unions that can take back our wealth from the people who are hoarding it.

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 10:58:43 AM PDT

•  My apologies, I thought you were the person... (0+ / 0-)

...to whom I was replying earlier. Please mentally replace the "your" statements in the above comment with references to the commenter to whom I was originally replying.

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 11:01:10 AM PDT

•  So long as people want to water-down... (3+ / 0-)
          WorkerInUSA, Patango, IT Professional

...language in the interests of getting a certain policy outcome, I think people who oppose that policy outcome are entitled to hold the line in their characterizations.  The defining characteristic of undocumented immigrants with regard to the current policy discussion is that they're here in violation of law.

by Rich in PA on Wed May 08, 2013 at 05:48:16 AM PDT

•  Okay, so let's apply that standard evenly. (2+ / 0-)
            FG, JeremySchro
            So violating the law makes one an "illegal," without even a human-descriptive term attached?

In that case, if you speed while driving, you are an illegal.

If you bought anything online in 2012 and didn't pay the use tax on your 2012 tax return, you are an illegal.

If you and your neighbor are sharing a cable bill and wi-fi, you are an illegal.

If you download music, movies, or software without paying for them, you are an illegal.

Or is referring to those who violate the law as "illegals" reserved only for brown people?

by JamesGG on Wed May 08, 2013 at 07:13:54 AM PDT

•  You are making a shallow attempt (1+ / 0-)
              demjim

to inject race bating "brown people" with objecting the influx of more workers into a situation where there are more workers than jobs.

The reality is that minorities suffer the most when there is an over supply of workers.

•  Total RINO (4+ / 0-)
        Deep Texan, wmtriallawyer, FG, unfangus

Voted for Stimulus
        Voted for cloture on the unemployment extensions
        Voted to expand S-CHIP
        Co-Sponsored ENDA
        Co-Sponsored the Roadless Area Conservation Act
        Voted to protect 2 million acres of wilderness
        Co-Sponsored the Uniting American Families Act
        Co-Sponsored the Fair Minimum Wage Act
        Voted to repeal DOMA
        Co-Sponsored Tester's bill to improve disclosure requirements for Senator's financial reports
        Voted against every bill that threatened Net Neutrality
        Voted against indefinite detention without charge
        Voted in favor of creating a Veterans Job Corps program
        Voted to stop the elimination of the Davis-Bacon Rule that requires any worker on federally funded projects be paid a prevailing wage for the area.

He has supported every healthcare bill, voted to act on climate change, voted for gun control, voting rights reform, voted for Lily Ledbetter Act, worked to pass Obama's judicial nominees, voted for both his SCOTUS appointments, and is listed as the 10th most liberal senator by NationalJournal.

oh but wait... he didnt show mad love to your favorite issue and it made you a sad panda?  Oh, well fuck it then.. TOTAL RINO!  Its like having another Jim Inhofe in the Senator for all the good it does us!

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Wed May 08, 2013 at 06:01:00 AM PDT

• Recommended (143)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (28)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Culture (25)
  • Media (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site